Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Have you ever had surgery?

So, I have to go in for surgery in like, 2 weeks on tuesday. It'll be my second time in surgery and really not looking forward to it. I've heard stories about people who like, the anesthetic paralyses them but doesn't knock them out and they can feel everything and like they have this whole surgery thing go down while they are like fully concious and like can feel everything and stuff and that gives me like the worst nightmares.

Have you ever had surgery? Do you dislike it or not really care? Was it like... major surgery or just a minor thing? Did it go okay? Anyone ever had like complications or anything and almost died during surgery or anything like that? Oh and does anyone know if that thing about being awake and feeling everything but paralysed is actually true or is it just an urban legend?

If that's true, then the anethesiologist should be fired and obviously isn't qualified (it's not going to happen unless you go to some really shitty hospital).

I had surgery on my shoulder a few weeks ago (was my first surgery). The only part that hurt was when they initially but the IV in my hand and that only hurt for a few seconds before the pain went away completely. After that they gradually pump sleepy stuff into you. It's really gradual though, so you only get a little sleepy. Then when they put you into surgery, it knocks you out good. I remember them putting the stuff in and I was out. Next thing I know, surgery is over. I had no dream or recollection of the surgery. It was almost like time travel ;p

Anyways, yeah, there's nothing to worry about.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had plastic surgery to remove the bridge on my nose. They also had to... uhm... "break" the inside of my nose so that I could breathe better (and it also removed the snarly voice quality I had, making my voice all around clearer to everyone).

I don't know how it felt, since I was knocked out pretty quick. Woke up without too much trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

Deleted
    Yeah, that's basically how it went down first time for me. I think I had to count backwards from 10, but I'm not sure if I remember that happening or whether I just remember it from some medical drama I watched or other. I wish they'd put you under before you get into the operating room though. It's scary to be in the big scary room and awake for a couple of minutes while everyone gets ready before they knock you out.

Deleted
    you'll wake up in the middle of the surgery

mark my words..

Deleted
    I didn't have surgery myself. I did have my residency in surgery a while back. The guy doing anesthetics explained to me what they use nowadays. They use a sedative, a muscle relaxing agent and a painkiller. So basically you should be out and shouldn't feel a thing. If your vitals point towards you waking up, they'll give you a little more sedative. It's pretty safe, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my appendix removed when I was 14, and just yesterday had 25 teeth extracted to have implants put in. There was no serious complications of either. I dont even have much pain with the tooth extractions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    2 surgeries, 1st one was an emergency one to relieve the pressure on my brain. Then the 2nd one, a week later, was a 12-hour long operation to remove a brain tumour, that had a rather high risk(50% chance of death and a high chance of brain damage, losing my ability to walk etc..). I spent a while on the IC, and afterwards I also had to re-learn how to walk.

So you could say I almost died, but not any complications that I know off.

Maybe I'll have a 3rd surgery to remove that drain/tube thingy in my head(from the 1st surgery), but I hope its never needed.

I had reconstructive surgery on my leg after skydiving. I woke up twice during the initial surgery but I couldn't feel a thing. It's not as scary as a lot of people make it seem.

I had septoplasty like 7 or 8 years ago. I don't remember shit, other than being wheeled into the room and some dude named Carlos just talking to me about nothing in particular, next thing I knew I woke up in recovery with a cute nurse asking if I knew where I was and what my name was. My response was "I am King Henry the fifth and I don't know but I demand to be released immediately!" Then they gave me some domperidone and vicodin and I was high as a motherfucker.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I've got a circumsicion 2 years ago. I know it's a fairly short surgery but still. Everything went well, they told me I could be dizzy or feel sick after the surgery but when I woke up I was actually in very good shape just as if I took a small nap. Just take it lightly, dont worry too much. Talk with the hospital staff and try to have fun while being there. Where they were anasthesying me, I gave myself a challenge. I tried to get to 10 seconds before falling asleep. Got to 9 seconds the I fell asleep like a baby. I didn't feel anything during the surgery. So my guess is try not to worry and everything should be fine. Good luck! :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    "I am King Henry the fifth and I don't know but I demand to be released immediately!" Then they gave me some domperidone and vicodin and I was high as a motherfucker.
    I'm pretty sure you were briefly possessed by the soul of the long forgotten king.

Oh wait, it's Tradewind. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had surgery three times, twice on a broken arm (once to mend it with plates/screws) and the second time to remove the screws/plates.

Both of these surgeries I did not feel a thing until I woke up, and actually the second surgery was done so well that there was nearly no pain at all (and the anesthetist did such a good job , I woke up clean with no problems).

The third surgery I had was more intense, I had a corneal cross linking procedure which basically involved my cornea being scraped off and filled in, I was awake for this and it was pretty freaky but when you go that far, you are committed to getting an improvement and should trust your surgeon too. I took solace in knowing my surgeon did that same procedure plenty of times a week, and I knew the last thing he wanted , was to make a mistake or have me unhappy with the results.

And here I am, fine and dandy and enjoying the fruits of having it done.

Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you were briefly possessed by the soul of the long forgotten king.

Oh wait, it's Tradewind. :P
    Perhaps! idk I was pretty wasted coming out of the anesthetic. I felt nauseous as shit though, hence the domperidone.

The post operative time was the worst though, not so much pain (again vicodin and percocets...) but the sheer amount of snotty blood blobs that were coming out of my nose for like a week.

Deleted
    2 times

Once for removing my tonsils and once for removing a tooth. Recovery was fast.

Deleted
    Had surgery about ten years ago to fix my broken arm, lot of titanium in it now xD That surgery was ok, woke up feeling good and went home with some strong meds and was out of school for a while.. Win for me :P
    Last year i had to remove a funky organ that was bad and caused alot of other organs to get infected so i had some serious pain, the surgery took about an hour but the recovery was slow, home from work for around 2 months and could barely move :/

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    So, I have to go in for surgery in like, 2 weeks on tuesday. It'll be my second time in surgery and really not looking forward to it. I've heard stories about people who like, the anesthetic paralyses them but doesn't knock them out and they can feel everything and like they have this whole surgery thing go down while they are like fully concious and like can feel everything and stuff and that gives me like the worst nightmares.

Have you ever had surgery? Do you dislike it or not really care? Was it like... major surgery or just a minor thing? Did it go okay? Anyone ever had like complications or anything and almost died during surgery or anything like that? Oh and does anyone know if that thing about being awake and feeling everything but paralysed is actually true or is it just an urban legend?
    I've had 3 major surgeries

1. to remove a hernia
    2. To pull shrapnel from my chest
    3. Kidney stone removal.

Some anesthetics will make you feel sick to your stomach, prepare for that. I've never had a surgery where I can remember being awake for any of it, I think your safe there.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Are...are you Iron Man?!

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.cracked.com/article_21540...your-body.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I've had 3 major surgeries

1. to remove a hernia
    3. Kidney stone removal.

Some anesthetics will make you feel sick to your stomach, prepare for that. I've never had a surgery where I can remember being awake for any of it, I think your safe there.
    If you wake up they give you a shot of stuff that makes you forget anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Are...are you Iron Man?!
    Not anymore, not fun when you can move and feel metal under your skin and muscle.