[Books] Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere

so I first discovered Sanderson from the Wheel of Time series. for those who don't know, when Robert Jordan, the creator of the series, realised he'd likely not live long enough to complete his epic series, he made sure that he put his vision into his notes so that his wife could find somebody else to finish his work from them. Brandon Sanderson was chosen to write the last few books and turn those notes into a fitting end for the series in what has become known as a posthumous collaboration. personally I felt he did a great job and had I not known, I doubt I would have been able to tell that it hadn't been just the same writer all along

out of curiosity I tried out some of Sanderson's own books starting with the Mistborn trilogy. after just a few pages I was hooked. Vin is such a strong and yet fragile character but manages to avoid the usual female protagonist stereotypes. Breeze, I thought was an annoying and pompous arse at first but quickly began to like him especially his banter with Ham. Lestibournes (later known as Spook) was likeable and his street slang, especially how much it frustrated Breeze (and the hilarious reference in Alloy of Law) always brought a smile if not a laugh... the whole cast are just so likeable and despite Vin and Kelsier being the main focus for the first book you really get to know all of them and by the end of the trilogy all the characters have so much more depth than many characters in longer series do.
    the series also managed to really surprise me at times, something few books have done so well. the end of the second book with the revelation that the entire prophecy was twisted by Ruin not only justified some of the seemingly unlikely coincidences but also set Ruin up out of nowhere as an ingenious and dangerous enemy while also providing an unpredictable twist that, unlike many genuinely surprising twists in works of fiction, made sense!

so then I tried the Stormlight Archives. Way of Kings started a little slower than Mistborn and at first I wasn't sure if it was going anywhere, especially the more depressing Kaladin chapters (with Shallan providing a seemingly happier perspective especially with her hilarious wit) but again I found myself really connecting with all of the main characters and when there was a part of the book without one of those characters perspectives I really missed them. then there's Wit... really living up to his job title he provides some much needed humour into some of the darker chapters (ie: the Shattered Plains chapters) while also proving himself to be much more than just a joker... and why does the name Hoid sound so familiar? (yes I do now know why. another nice touch to the Cosmere)
    some things I saw coming, but there were some genuine surprises. Jasnah's death shocked me, both because I didn't see it coming and because I liked her character so much (and because she and Shallan seem destined to end up together. I'm not usually a shipper but they'd be perfect). I'm not sure if it was just denial or foresight but I quickly decided that no she couldn't be dead and figured she used soulcasting to fake her death. I figured she'd probably turn up alive in the third book, turns out I was a little off as she shows up in the epilogue. it was obvious that Dalinar and Kaladin would end up crossing paths (as with all the other main characters) but the big question was how and when it finally happened it delivered on expectations.
    it was also great to see the different members of Bridge Four develop. the seemingly throwaway and nameless characters turn out to all have their own individual charm, even the ones who don't last very long. the fact that even the redshirts get about the same amount of development (just not for as long) as the ones who stick around makes it a lot harder to predict who will survive

I find it rather difficult to pick a favourite between those two series. I always recommend Mistborn as a starting point, I consider it more accessible than Stormlight due to the faster pace and more light-hearted tone (at least at first) but is it actually better? I really can't say. both are masterpieces in my opinion and I just can't pick one over the other

I thoroughly enjoyed the other books as well, but I'll post some thoughts on them another time. the non-Cosmere works are a fun read too and I really hope the planned Legion TV show doesn't go the way of the Mistborn movie (license expiration)... though I do think Mistborn (and Stormlight for that matter, but not until the books are finished, don't want another Game of Thrones overtaking the books situation) would make a better TV show than movie

I think that Sanderson has now become my favourite writer and this is from someone who finds picking a favourite anything to be very difficult

I had never heard of the "Cosmere" until now and I've read all of his stuff. After reading about it a bit, I don't like the Cosmere idea at all. These books/series feel better separated from each other. I liked that I thought these were there own self-contained worlds and stories, which they sort of still are, but the idea that they're linked irks me a bit.

I think the idea was to get the scope of a large series but without the negatives such as putting off new readers with the necessity to catch up on the huge backlog. personally I think it works quite well. it's possible to treat them as completely unconnected stories but you can also look at the minor connections between them (mostly involving Hoid) to get a sense of something bigger behind the scenes
    not all of the books are part of the Cosmere though, most notably those on alternate Earths like the Rithmatist and Steelbreaker. of course Wheel of Time isn't a part of it either despite a few fan theories

I'm curious what your opinion on Hoid was without knowing of the books connections, or if you'd noticed the name turning up so often? I'm not sure I'd have caught onto that so soon if it hadn't been for Vin instinctively avoiding him in the third Mistborn book and my reading of Stormlight Archives next since Hoid plays a much more prominent role than usual

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm reading Warbreaker right now, and it's pretty good.

I'm glad because my first experience with Sanderson was Elantris. While it wasn't awful, so many of the characters fell into just totally boring predictable archetypes. His work on the end of The Wheel of Time convinced me to give him a second chance, so I picked up The Way of Kings. Stormlight Archives are some of the best fantasy I've read in a long time, and I'm glad I went ahead and read it.

I couldn't get into Mistborn. Too dreary. I got about halfway through the first book and stopped. I'll probably give it another try one of these days.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    I'm curious what your opinion on Hoid was without knowing of the books connections, or if you'd noticed the name turning up so often? I'm not sure I'd have caught onto that so soon if it hadn't been for Vin instinctively avoiding him in the third Mistborn book and my reading of Stormlight Archives next since Hoid plays a much more prominent role than usual
    I honestly don't even remember the name, but I haven't finished the 2nd Stormlight book yet. Since I assumed they were all independent I think if I did notice I just wrote it off as being a bit lazy with names. One thing I like about Sanderson is his ideas and worlds aren't very convoluted like I found the Malazan series so I read them really fast and don't pay close attention to anything more than the general plot.

It may help if I read them more like I think you are in quick succession. I've been reading them as they come out so I have long gaps of time between each book.

interesting perspectives. Hoid has minor roles in almost all the Cosmere books and is mentioned in one of the Elantris short stories (Emperor's Soul) but not named (Sanderson confirmed it was him in a Q&A session) but a much bigger role in Stormlight as the King's Wit. in Mistborn he is an informant Kelsier meets in the first book and an informant Vin is advised to meet in the third book but she gets a gut feeling to avoid him and does so. in Elantris he helps Sarene smuggle supplies into the quarantine and in Warbreaker he is the storyteller who tells Siri and Lightsong the story of the First Returned. his other appearances, not revealed in the stories but confirmed by Sanderson are the Imperial Fool in Elantris: The Emperor's Soul who sets Shai up to be captured so she can save the Emperor. in The Well of Ascension he leads the Terris refugees who Elend and Spook meet while returning to Luthadel. in Alloy of Law he attends the wedding of Lord Joshin Yomen and Lady Mi'chelle Ostlin and speaks with them briefly. he also appears in some of Sanderson's unpublished works which may or may not be published after some revisions at a later date. he gets around quite a bit

I did indeed read all the books in quick succession, after Mistborn I read the Stormlight Archives and then worked through the rest of his stories. now of course I'm having to wait for the next ones, the first of which is Fireflight, the second Reckoners book (although there is also a short story, Mitosis, which falls between Steelheart and Fireflight). then it's probably going to be the second book of the second Mistborn trilogy Shadows of Self, likely followed by the third Stormlight book although that could change, Sanderson tends to have three or four active projects at a time that he shifts between, how me manages to keep them all straight I have no idea, I just muddle myself up when I try to handle that many active projects at a time... but there's also sequels to Legion and Rithmatist high on his to-do list as well as a special anniversary re-release of his first published book Elantris and a long awaited sequel. plus there's some other Cosmere series which haven't even got past the early draft stages but which he has planned out already... he knows how to keep busy it seems

oh and he's also doing the writing for the Mistborn computer game expected next year (which takes place before the events of the story, in the early-ish days of the Final Empire)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    interesting perspectives. Hoid has minor roles in almost all the Cosmere books and is mentioned in one of the Elantris short stories (Emperor's Soul) but not named (Sanderson confirmed it was him in a Q&A session) but a much bigger role in Stormlight as the King's Wit. in Mistborn he is an informant Kelsier meets in the first book and an informant Vin is advised to meet in the third book but she gets a gut feeling to avoid him and does so. in Elantris he helps Sarene smuggle supplies into the quarantine and in Warbreaker he is the storyteller who tells Siri and Lightsong the story of the First Returned. his other appearances, not revealed in the stories but confirmed by Sanderson are the Imperial Fool in Elantris: The Emperor's Soul who sets Shai up to be captured so she can save the Emperor. in The Well of Ascension he leads the Terris refugees who Elend and Spook meet while returning to Luthadel. in Alloy of Law he attends the wedding of Lord Joshin Yomen and Lady Mi'chelle Ostlin and speaks with them briefly. he also appears in some of Sanderson's unpublished works which may or may not be published after some revisions at a later date. he gets around quite a bit

I did indeed read all the books in quick succession, after Mistborn I read the Stormlight Archives and then worked through the rest of his stories. now of course I'm having to wait for the next ones, the first of which is Fireflight, the second Reckoners book (although there is also a short story, Mitosis, which falls between Steelheart and Fireflight). then it's probably going to be the second book of the second Mistborn trilogy Shadows of Self, likely followed by the third Stormlight book although that could change, Sanderson tends to have three or four active projects at a time that he shifts between, how me manages to keep them all straight I have no idea, I just muddle myself up when I try to handle that many active projects at a time... but there's also sequels to Legion and Rithmatist high on his to-do list as well as a special anniversary re-release of his first published book Elantris and a long awaited sequel. plus there's some other Cosmere series which haven't even got past the early draft stages but which he has planned out already... he knows how to keep busy it seems

oh and he's also doing the writing for the Mistborn computer game expected next year (which takes place before the events of the story, in the early-ish days of the Final Empire)
    That man is just incredibly prolific.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I somewhat recently started reading his books, due to hearing what a great writer he was - and mostly because he finished WoT which is probably my favorite series ever.

I started with the 4 Mistborn books and they were awesome. I thought the first book was pretty good, the world and its "magic" was interesting, as were the characters. It was sort of a typical fantasy idea, and some of the characters seemed to be general fantasy types, but it was well-written and both the characters and the world were developed pretty well. Then I got into the other books in the series and the way all these little details from earlier kept coming up and being more thoroughly explored and how it all ends up tying together was really cool. The way he intertwines all those things and how he kept taking the ideas and the world he build and kept going deeper into it was just great. Sometime while reading the 2nd Mistborn book I decided that he was an author that I'd just have to read whatever he put out because it was probably going to be really good. I'm not sure about the superhero type books as they seem more Young Adult, but after the 4 Mistborn books I'm now about 60% through The Way of Kings and enjoying it. Its been a slow build-up at times, but I'm patient (one of the reasons I always liked Robert Jordan) when it leads somewhere and I'm quite confident that this will.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just wondering whether the Steelheart / Reckoners universe (the one where some humans get superpowers but at the cost of turning into sociopaths) is in the cosmere?
    That universe also has a screenplay / TV series optioned off of it - hope it gets developed

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    Just wondering whether the Steelheart / Reckoners universe (the one where some humans get superpowers but at the cost of turning into sociopaths) is in the cosmere?
    That universe also has a screenplay / TV series optioned off of it - hope it gets developed
    I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be their own thing since they're aimed at a different audience. Steelheart is marketed as a YA novel while the other stuff isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness
    I'm now about 60% through The Way of Kings and enjoying it. Its been a slow build-up at times, but I'm patient (one of the reasons I always liked Robert Jordan) when it leads somewhere and I'm quite confident that this will.
    It's supposed to be a 10 book series, so settle in.

the alternative Earth books (Reckoners series, of which Steelheart is the first, Rithmatist and Alcatraz) are all independent of the Cosmere and of each other. I haven't read the Alcatraz series but both Steelheart and Rithmatist were entertaining despite being aimed at "young adults" which usually translates as teenagers in my experience, but as I said, I enjoyed them, Steelheart especially. the concept of a world with supervillains but no superheroes to oppose them is intriguing and of course neatly avoids the biggest problem superhero stories inevitably face eventually, that of having heroes who are too powerful for the reader/viewer to ever feel they're in any danger. Steelheart himself works well as a kind of evil version of Superman and makes for a great villain. Rithmatist is also interesting, offering another well thought out school of magic and seems to set up for the usual teenage fantasy clichés before neatly avoiding or reversing them
    there's also Legion which is set on another version of Earth but is not aimed at young adults. there's more science and psychology than magic but there's some question as to where the line falls between magic and an as of yet unexplained technology. the protagonist is the real draw though, a social recluse with a genius level intellect and a collection of hallucinatory manifestations of his knowledge and research (for example when he learns a new language he develops a new 'imaginary friend' who acts as a translator for him)

didn't realise at first but it turns out that Hoid isn't the only crossover character. Stormlight Archives actually features Demoux from Mistborn, as one of the team hunting Hoid at the Purelake, along with Galladon from Elantris! Zahel, the guy who trains Renarin, Adolin, Kalodin and a few other bridgemen in shardblades is none other than Vasher from Warbreaker, though without his companions Vivenna and Nightblood, although the sword is hinted to be there too, but in somebody elses hands