Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The game isn't too hard from what I played of the 2.1 endgame stuff (T5, Extreme Garuda/Titan/Ifrit) but it's still challenging. There are very few "you made one mistake and you're dead" situations like in a lot of other MMOs I've played, though it does have a few instant death/wipe mechanics in some fights.

All the max-level dungeons are pretty easy once you see them at least once. Most boss abilities are telegraphed based upon what trash mobs in the same dungeons do, so if you just pay attention while clearing trash, you can generally understand how to deal with the 4-person dungeon bosses.

A lot of times, making mistakes doesn't wipe the party or kill you instantly, so you can recover. Even on Extreme modes, or at least the ones that I played. That doesn't mean the game is lacking challenge... it still pushes people in every single role. It just isn't built around pressuring healers/tanks an unreasonable amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    For EX it really depends.
    EX Titan getting slapped = you fall off and die. If a tank gets hit then it's pretty bad as no swap and add tanks. If a DPS gets hit you might die to heart phase or get crushed by stones or blow up by not being able to destroy a bomb. As odd as it sounds, a healer is probably the less impactful death though foot stomp (I really don't know the english names) will slowly drain the healer.
    DPS part gets reduced by gear, and healing part also. You still need two tanks.

EX Leviathan, not as bad as the others. Tank doesn't interrupt a fear ground aoe can drop and you can run yourself off the edge. Levi's platform smash/tilt can make you fall off, and already dead people fall off which is a bit annoying.

EX Ramuh is a dps check and coordination fight really. It's not healer straining if everyone does their job but it can get disastrous if they don't.

EX Moggle is very forgiving provided people interrupt and control their dps. Best healer fight ever, we do nothing but heal and dispel one set of debuffs.

Have not done Ifrit (for some reason) or Shiva.

Yes.. FFXIV is casual game.. oh wait Bahamut is harder than any wow boss

savage mode is casual game too
    Last edited by malanior; 2014-12-08 at 07:07 PM. Reason: add information

Quote Originally Posted by malanior View Post
    Yes.. FFXIV is casual game.. oh wait Bahamut is harder than any wow boss

savage mode is casual game too
    Savage Mode is unitemized , completely untuned horseshit that tries to be difficult by almost completely nixing personal throughput and teamwork and just relying on awkward, poorly designed tripwire mechanics that insta-wipe the group.

As an old-school FF fan, I enjoy the casual content in a hit n' run fashion with my subscription but the core content during the end game is just a joke. It is content starved and almost none of it is in any way well designed or satisfying. I hope more than anything that in the expansion they approach raid encounters better, properly utilize their dungeons and learn how to fucking itemize.
    Last edited by Vanaline; 2014-12-23 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MapleMeringue View Post
    Savage Mode is unitemized , completely untuned horseshit that tries to be difficult by almost completely nixing personal throughput and teamwork and just relying on awkward, poorly designed tripwire mechanics that insta-wipe the group.

As an old-school FF fan, I enjoy the casual content in a hit n' run fashion with my subscription but the core content during the end game is just a joke. It is content starved and almost none of it is in any way well designed or satisfying. I hope more than anything that in the expansion they approach raid encounters better, properly utilize their dungeons and learn how to fucking itemize.
    I think savage mode is SUPPOSED to be like that....

Let us compare it with WoW and SWTOR.

Content Access
    If hard mode doesn't count, WoW and SWTOR have full access.
    FF14 is missing Turn 5+ and a few trials.

Gear Access
    WoW gives very crappy LFR gear. Almost 3 tier behind. A heroic raider does twice more dps. That is so stupid.
    FF14 and SWTOR are the winners.
    At worst, just 1 tier behind, 10% stat difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can do all trials and you can queue up to Turn 1-9 if you want provided you unlocked it. Whether you finish it is a different thing. T10-13 is not queueable in LFD.

I just got back into the game but before I left when T1-t5 was current I saw all content the game had by raiding 2-3 hours twice a week. If you know what you are doing the EX stuff can go by fast. Two weeks after Garuda/IFrit/TItan EX where added to the game I one shot all three with a group of people from several different FCs... took only a few minutes.

FFXIV is not as time dependent as other games like WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Gear Access
    WoW gives very crappy LFR gear. Almost 3 tier behind. A heroic raider does twice more dps. That is so stupid.
    To be fair, in WoW, if you give Mythic raider the same gear as LFR scrubs, the Mythic raider can already do a large portion more dps, the gear was just an icing.

In WoW 2 players with different skill but same gear can make massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    To be fair, in WoW, if you give Mythic raider the same gear as LFR scrubs, the Mythic raider can already do a large portion more dps, the gear was just an icing.
    Exactly.
    The game should promote more "skill > gear".
    Not by changing server and buy gear from black market.

The only "content" you'd realistically miss out on (Assuming you count extreme versions of some trial fights content, they do have gear drops but are essentially harder versions of fights you would have faced on two earlier level and/or easier difficulties by then) is the binding coil of bahamut...and I believe all the turns save the newest set are in the duty finder.

It is a little annoying as there is some storyline lore that occurs in coil (I've not beaten turn 5 myself, tried a few times gave up and have not been back...yet)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom