Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

But in US TV dramas, Brits are everywhere

Was listening to the radio as I worked and these actors were talking about British actors in Hollywood using American accents. The actor's point was 'why can't they hire an 18 year old American to fill the role?' The Wire, best TV show ever made had at least 2 British actors.

uk_news/magazine/8643941.stm

The Wire has garnered much praise for its gritty portrayal of social ills and crime in urban American, with cynical Baltimore cop Jimmy McNulty at its centre. But how many American viewers know that he is being played by an old Etonian, Dominic West?

The same goes for gangland kingpin Stringer Bell. He's played, with an apparently-convincing accent, by Londoner Idris Elba.

You can also spot British actors in Lost. Naveen Andrews and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje play an Iraqi and a Nigerian respectively.

But perhaps more eyebrow-raising is the regularity with which Britons are recruited to play American characters.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    They hire the best person for the job, if a Brit can put on a convincing accent for the role why not hire them?

Deleted
    Sorry old boy, we are just better than you in everyway. No hard feelings chaps.

I like to watch an episode of teachers and then follow it up with the walking dead as if it is a continuation. Good old Andrew Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    sorry old boy, we are just better than you in everyway. No hard feelings chaps.

I like to watch an episode of teachers and then follow it up with the walking dead as if it is a continuation. Good old andrew lincoln.
    corallllllll!
    Oh aye.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Sorry old boy, we are just better than you in everyway. No hard feelings chaps.

I like to watch an episode of teachers and then follow it up with the walking dead as if it is a continuation. Good old Andrew Lincoln.
    Oh shit I never realised it was the same guy, reinforces my point about if you can fake the accent you should get the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain just produces better actors, get over it.

Is there a Brit in Walking Dead?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Someone can't read. :3
    Oh aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadiib View Post
    Britain just produces better actors, get over it.
    lol.

I thought MMO-C was against bait threads?

Deleted
    Rick motherfucking Grimes. Aka Simon.

casting is about a lot more than just an accent. sometimes a character is rewritten slightly to better fit an actor who is considered to be otherwise perfect for the role and sometimes the actor adapts to the role by changing their accent, dying or shaving their hair, changing their weight/build, etc. so long as the actor can convincingly portray the accent (which is not always the case) it shouldn't be an issue

Deleted
    Rick Grimes, the main character.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're everywhere, like Ebola.

I was wondering what's with the onslaught of Indian actors playing effeminate and prissy roles

10+ Year Old Account
    The Governor in Walking Dead was also English.

Deleted
    How is this surprising or news? If they would be played by russians, french or whatever with flawless american accents then that would be something different but this is meh trivia at best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    He reminded me of a fucked up version of Liam Neeson.
    Also from the UK.

Shit just googled 'game of thrones english actors'. There are a fucking lot.

Inb4.. "they took our jobs" reply

Brits are hot and sexy people, and have far less weight control problems than their cross atlantic cousins

Abraham Lincoln was played by a man from Greenwich.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    British actors generally cost less than American actors.