Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Well, society would break down if they all refused to work.

$7.25/hr or less in my mind is slavery, and should be called what it is.
    If you have a problem with slavery, you should have a problem with the current minimum wage for the majority of america.
    Do you think that jobs that require more education shouldn't pay more than jobs that require less education?

I think teachers should be high paid, but they should be expected to do a lot more for it. Anyone who is getting paid 125k for anything better be devoting their life to their line of work, going above and beyond the minimum. I'm not saying teachers don't, but you have to hold a high standard for such pay. They should also be more largely responsible for the success of students. At that pay, they should have training in various fields relating to students, psychology, and whatnot. They should make their own curriculum and design a system that can make sure most students are able to learn it. Yes, I'm asking a lot, because 125k is a lot. That's more in a month than some minimum wage workers make in a year.

15+ Year Old Account
    The best teachers currently work as private tutors because there's more money in doing that than public school teaching gives.

The same people who would normally argue salary brings in better candidates think that argument only applies to areas that are NOT teaching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydsmith View Post
    Typically I wouldn't jump on this, but after a terribly long day, I'm going to.

That's what an education is for!

I'm sorry but those are menial jobs that honestly should not exist anymore with our current technology.
    Sooo many, many, many more people would be unemployed?
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    lol really guy? Hell I can go build a damn house. It may not be a very pretty one, but I can do it. No training what so ever. Teachers are responsible for initial shaping and molding the future generation. If you think that's about as important as laying down bricks on top of each other, then I think you need some re-evaluations going on.
    Ok, go demolish your house now and build one up from scratch. Make sure it lasts more than 10 days without so much as a leaky roof.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Basic economics tells us better wages would attract better workers, so that's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Basic economics tells us better wages would attract better workers, so that's something.
    It's the logical extension of "pay peanuts, get monkeys".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    A thread where my profession isn't shat on every page?

GenOT you're making me blush!

OT: I've known schools that did this, I'm currently between contracts now but have several jobs lined up for January in the UK.

The type of work you're expected to do for €29,000 in Ireland is insanity at this point. Either you're a tenured teacher, and really can't be removed, or you're a new contract based teacher and have to do twice the workload of older colleagues.

I think that flat salaries of $125,000, or X, aren't really progressive either. Something in line with other highly regarded public servants, e.g. doctors, would work better. Initial pay being along 65-70k, with bonuses being added based on performance and extra duties like being a year head and son on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Ok, go demolish your house now and build one up from scratch. Make sure it lasts more than 10 days without so much as a leaky roof.
    Building a house actually isn't very hard, first hand experience.

What is hard is the finishing. Plastering, insulating, exterior finishings, flooring etc. can be a nightmare to do without educated labourers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I think teachers should be high paid, but they should be expected to do a lot more for it. Anyone who is getting paid 125k for anything better be devoting their life to their line of work, going above and beyond the minimum. I'm not saying teachers don't, but you have to hold a high standard for such pay. They should also be more largely responsible for the success of students. At that pay, they should have training in various fields relating to students, psychology, and whatnot. They should make their own curriculum and design a system that can make sure most students are able to learn it. Yes, I'm asking a lot, because 125k is a lot. That's more in a month than some minimum wage workers make in a year.
    You do realise that's what we're already trained in, with developmental psychology being a major focus, and we design schemes of learning based on government curricula.

lol really guy? Hell I can go build a damn house. It may not be a very pretty one, but I can do it. No training what so ever. Teachers are responsible for initial shaping and molding the future generation. If you think that's about as important as laying down bricks on top of each other, then I think you need some re-evaluations going on.
    No you cant build a house with no training. To think that you could is just ludicrous. May as well say I can preform open heart surgery with no training.

Building a house on minecraft doesn't count.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightofdawn View Post
    a computer with internet access has literally taught me more than some teachers have... and im sure the computer has a lot more knowledge hidden somewhere inside.

a machine will replace a teacher just as quickly as it'll replace a man with a hammer and nails. and to be honest i'd have more respect for the public service laborers because its impossible to bullshit their job and still get paid where some teachers can halfass their jobs and still make money.
    Until adaptive AI can also serve the socializing function of teachers, we're not going anywhere. Most of what we do revolves around developing social skills and being a focal point for students' social spheres.

Learned to read by yourself? You definitely didn't learn grammar from the internet, here http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.o...nglish-grammar knock yourself out.

10+ Year Old Account
    It all relies on results, but I am all for paying our teachers the same amount we'd pay lawyers or engineers. I can see how such a salary can make an impact in teacher performance.

They prepare the future generations of doctors, scientists, lawyers, thinkers, inventors, so on and so forth.

My mum has been an ESL (English as a second language) teacher for decades now, helping immigrant children adjust to American society and learn how to speak the language. She has changed many, many lives. Many of her now-adult students remember and thank her for her hard work and dedication. She's the type of teacher who would spend extra money of her own just to buy books and materials for her students to use because the school budget for her department wasn't always substantial.

Good teachers can instill great values of hard work and perseverance in children. I can remember my teachers who pushed me to do better when I was giving up on myself. Although money is not a show of their dedication, they wholly deserve a large raise.

We pay our actors and actresses and athletes millions upon millions when all they do is entertain us while the many people who actually make a difference: teachers, policemen, the laborers who toil to bring us power, to bring us infrastructure, to grow our food...they're some of the most economically downtrodden people of our societies.

All I have to say is wow. Obviously I think this system will suffer a bit from diminishing returns if they were to open dozens or hundreds of schools with this methodology, as they could not be quite as selective nor have as deep a pool to recruit from. I kind of expect a lot of teacher turnover as well, from burnout as much as the teachers not making the grade. That said I am absolutely amazed at the budgeting. That they are able to pay the teachers that much and keep all their expenses in the same budgetary framework as their neighbors I find beyond belief. I know unions build in a lot of, management expenses, but I would have never guessed it anywhere near that much.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good for them.

Although if it doesn't bring in results, homeschooling until they hit high school may be a better option.

I'm literally confused about all the attention to my imaginary house???
    You made a ridiculous statement in the first couple posts so it's naturally the first thing people coming into the thread see. Save stupid for when the thread reaches a couple pages.

Quote Originally Posted by phitness View Post
    You made a ridiculous statement in the first couple posts so it's naturally the first thing people coming into the thread see. Save stupid for when the thread reaches a couple pages.
    you are comparing a job that needs a master's with laying down brick.
    Are you serious? I really cant tell.

And no, you do not need training to build a house, not the physical part of it. If there is any training, its on the job training, where you learn the action right then and there. Its certainly not comparable to over half a decade of schooling.
    Chronomancer Club

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I'm all for paying teachers 125k a year, if we're able to fire the ones who don't perform or are there to collect a paycheck.
    Yep this. Similarly, I'm also fine with some sort of scaling pay, performance-related or some other evaluation. Excellent teachers who give a shit and aren't just handing out work-sheets while they look at Facebook should be rewarded. I'm sure we've all had one of those teachers in our life, as well as the ones who made you wanna skip their class because you could tell they didn't care.

My art teacher put me off painting for life. No joke, that's how much she made me hate those 2 hours a week I had to spend with her.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-10-28 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Yep this. Similarly, I'm also fine with some sort of scaling pay, performance-related or some other evaluation. Excellent teachers who give a shit and aren't just handing out work-sheets while they look at Facebook should be rewarded. I'm sure we've all had one of those teachers in our life, as well as the ones who made you wanna work your arse off.
    Its called being a private tutor. All the better teachers are doing that.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    I'm all for paying teachers 125k a year, if we're able to fire the ones who don't perform or are there to collect a paycheck.
    This^

I have always loved teaching; however, with a physics degree, why should I teach for half of the pay I can make anywhere else.

Teachers should make more, lose tenure, and be held to regional standards of success.

you can't just build a house with no experience since there are laws against it, like it collapsing and killing someone.

It's always funny how people shit on the working class as though they aren't needed and just think machines can do everything

£125,000 a year for a high school teacher is far too much, but maybe that's because the current standard of education is so poor that it seems that way?

Plenty of University lecturers who lead their departments earn money in that area, and I'd argue that University education is some of the most impressive and important within the field of education.

It's all about balance. Throwing that sort of money at the majority of teachers today won't fix anything, you need to spend that money paying the right people for the job. I'd say about 95% of my teachers throughout life have been terrible, uncaring and there just for the money. They lacked motivation, didn't care about the subject and often abused their position.

I would be really disappointed to see them paid that amount of money, for a job they suck at. But ... Offer new, experienced and willing teachers that pay grade, and I'm certain the standard of education will rise.