Tracking PPM of KillingMachine/Sudden Doom

Since this is my first time posting to this forum, Hi I'm runíc a deathknight raiding for Seraph over on the malganis server. Over the past day or so I've been discussing with a fellow dk in my guild and have come up with somewhat of a theory in regards to the whole "Wait for proc" mentality that's been spreading since 6.0 hit. I would love others opinions on this, and to discuss the viability of such a thing.

Essentially with 6.0 Blizzard made it beneficial to track the RPPM of both Killing machine and Sudden doom., since we no longer just mash out abilities as fast as possible, and will continue not to do so in wod. It becomes important to understand when procs may likely occur and thus manage our resources properly.

If you wish to take advantage of this process here's the simplified steps:

1- log a 5 minute+ fight on a target dummy with just you white autoattacking.

2- Adjust fight duration for active time, multiply the duration in seconds by the percent active time divided by 100. Then convert this second value into a minute value, IE 4.8 minutes.

3-Divide total Km procs by total minute value to get your average PPM

Since PPM scales relatively off haste its important to run this test yourself in the future because most of us wont be wearing the exact same BIS gear as we likely are now.

With this knowledge of your AVE PPM you can determine that if you re significantly below that number towards the end of an RPPM cycle you need to stockpile enough runic power to be able to chain frost strikes in the likely case they do occur.

This all being said its a cheesy and somewhat unpredictable way to game Killing machines/Sudden Dooms so that there's little to no resource waste come Wod. This is an AVERAGE, and isnt to be taken as the max or min value that you should be getting per minute. Factors such as blood lust and other haste modifiers such as trinkets could have a large impact on the PPM of both killing machine and sudden doom. However based off my dummy tests i feel safe to say that in my situation, with my gear, i should be getting a minimum of 14-16 procs per minute. and thus can expect a large amount of km procs if I'm below that threshold towards the end of any RPPM cycle.

EDIT: In theory this can be applied to Sudden Doom procs for unholy as well although in an inverse scenario where if you re sitting a few procs behind towards the end of the rppm cycle you can safely assume that you'll be getting several procs in a row. Thus with this knowledge you can dump your runic power so that by spending GCDS on the procs, you don't overcap your runic power by maintaining a zero waste rune scenario.

Would love others input on this as its kinda nutty, but in theory it should work better than the simple "Wait and see" method people seem to be defaulting to. (Since I'm new here i can't immediately link my Google docs page with my testing, however i can provide it once the system lets me.)
    Last edited by Tunick; 2014-10-28 at 05:22 PM.

The magical thing to me is have a swing attack bar, so you DONT click right before you land an attack, that being said, just wait swing and press OB, KM or not, you not wasting your proc on FS.

I really would like to read more from more experienced players... lets see

Quote Originally Posted by olivete View Post
    The magical thing to me is have a swing attack bar, so you DONT click right before you land an attack, that being said, just wait swing and press OB, KM or not, you not wasting your proc on FS.

I really would like to read more from more experienced players... lets see
    Click?? Also as far as experienced players go I'm a consistently high parsing(90-98 percentile) deathknight so I'd like to think im relatively experienced with the class. Plus I referenced frost strike numerous times, although i guess i should have been more clear. Also this is gonna be super BM but who still plays 2h frost competitively ._.

Back on topic however, this was to game procs in relation to runic power, I.E. for DWF or for Unholy. With the cost increase on frost strike, in some cases it means you'd have to prep atleast 75+ runic power in order to properly use each and every incoming proc if two or three were to chain together in short succession. Thus knowing how many procs you accrue per minute on average might allow one to predict when a series of procs might occur, as this seems extremely consistent through all my testing.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that ive finally managed the time to make 10 posts, here's my google docs containing my tests from yesterday. Based off this id feel safe to assume 14-16 procs per minute on average and thus base resource management accordingly should I be short 3-4 procs towards the end of an RPPM cycle.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RbQ/edit#gid=0
    Last edited by Tunick; 2014-11-01 at 12:10 AM.