10+ Year Old Account

Returning Monk, looking for some quick advice. (Or Opinions)

Hello all,

So I haven't really played in over a year (Right before SoO came out I quit.) I am now looking to come back, now for WoD I'm going Alliance, I usually play Horde, but and this is for fluff reasons, will not play on a Horde run by a Troll. So alliance it is this go.

I was looking to play a Mistweaver, as my time away in other games has gotten me quite fond of healing. But I am seeing that we are"broken" until level 100.

So my 2 questions.

1.) should I just go Windwalker until WoD and Level 100, or can Mistweavers still heal viably?

2.) What race does everyone feel is best for Mistweaver?

Thanks all!
    -Kumiho

I'm not sure if you've read the MW sticky or any of the posts on the front page (hint: one of them is called something like WoD racials), but the main takeaway from the racials is that they don't really matter. At best, there's about a .6% difference between the best racial and the worst for WW. The same is likely true for MW. If you want an extra heal button on a longish CD, Draenei might be a good choice, but just pick what you want.

As for healing. If you want to heal, heal. Unless you're woefully undergeared and healing mythic SoO, you'll do fine, but you might not be topping the charts. If you don't like healing after you've given it a try, go DPS. You only have to live with your choice for a couple weeks either way.

As said racials are pretty close for all races. From what ive read, draenais gift of the naaru is a great triage heal and can be affected by life cocoons increased hot % so can be good in that regards. Panda is the only race which you have to actively eat to maintain the racial so unless you carry alot of food on you is probably the worst outof raid environment.
    Mistweavers are in no way broken. From what ive seen, we are fairly middle ground maybe a bit below average at 90. The only problem is shields atm are op. If you heal with a disc you have no chance and a pally is still a tough match. I think this evens out at 100 though so shouldnt be that much of a problem.
    I agree the things I would have liked fixed on a mistweaver havent been touched but I enjoy there play style. If you enjoy playing it, I wouldnt worry so much about numbers until wod for sure and even then a mistweaver should be competitive enough unless your completely overhealing content.

Remember that gear can instantly swap between specs in wod. So if your in mistweaver spec it will have int and if you choose to go windwalker it will gain some agility on all your gear. So your not stuck with that 1 spec if you ever decide to change

Racial wise:
    Draenei is great with gift of naru and a flat int increase. The flat int increase isn't a huge boost, but its nice and always there.
    Dwarf 2% crit heal boost, if you spec into crit this gets better the more crit you have, but is weak if you have low crit. (im not sure on MW stat priorities)
    Human gets a versatility boost which is nice and does well for any spec. increases dmg, healing and reduces dmg taken. the pvp trinket racial is always nice too.
    Gnome - 5% extra mana and 1% haste. I don't think haste is the best for MW (could be wrong, it will reduce the gcd which is good), but extra mana is good.
    Night elf - dodge, not important unless your BrM. 1% haste or crit depending on what time you play. - not terrible and always there
    Panada - they have the racial of looking great as monks with their animations :P. The pro is that their racial is customizable based on which food you eat, the con is that you ahve to have food to eat to benefit from it.

Personally, for MW, I would go Human > Daraenei > Gnome > Dwarf >Panda > Nelf. However, we have discussed racials before and the difference is negligable. Some people find more value in the non-combat racials, like double rested xp or half fall dmg for panadas, extra rep gains on human, etc...

MW can heal viably, but they would have to try a bit harder than some other healing classes until 100. THe 100 talents really boost and kind of 'complete' the MW spec. I would suggest dual speccing WW and MW and then change as you see fit. You can get enough gear to fill out both in a decent way while leveling.

Mistwalker has been either OP or average in this expansion, but never bad, so it's a solid healer, and Blizzard tries to balance it better for level 100, so you can expect the class to be in good shape. And as usual, a good player makes even a bad class worth bringing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    Mistwalker has been either OP or average in this expansion, but never bad, so it's a solid healer, and Blizzard tries to balance it better for level 100, so you can expect the class to be in good shape. And as usual, a good player makes even a bad class worth bringing.
    I wouldnt agree... Hasnt MW been utter CRAP in SoO the past year or so? (I never played MW, but only WW/BM, so wouldnt know, but thats my general impression from what I hear)

It looks like they are in a better spot in WoD though. WP Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Boombrew View Post
    I wouldnt agree... Hasnt MW been utter CRAP in SoO the past year or so? (I never played MW, but only WW/BM, so wouldnt know, but thats my general impression from what I hear)

It looks like they are in a better spot in WoD though. WP Blizzard
    It depends.

MW was OP in 10 man content because they can keep Renewing mists up on nearly everyone. In 25 man content they were less reliable and had some trouble dealing with bursty dmg phases and getting the healing to where it needed to go. MW AoE healing capability relies heavily on group size and positioning. On fights like Thok, they were OP. My guild never wanted more than one MW in 25 man content. Most weeks, we didn't even have a MW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylisto View Post
    It depends.

MW was OP in 10 man content because they can keep Renewing mists up on nearly everyone. In 25 man content they were less reliable and had some trouble dealing with bursty dmg phases and getting the healing to where it needed to go. MW AoE healing capability relies heavily on group size and positioning. On fights like Thok, they were OP. My guild never wanted more than one MW in 25 man content. Most weeks, we didn't even have a MW.
    Same here. They might be viable on some fights but in comparison with the alternatives, it seems they have had a hard time.