Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift
    Selfless would be:
    I will go see your mom on her deathbed, eventhough i hate to see her this way, i know it matters alot to her if im there.
    And it will make you feel better to do something that matters to her, right? That's not selflessness. You're doing it for yourself, not her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Sure, but I also attribute gaining something by being selfish. Not going solely because meh, clothes, is, in my view, more laziness than being selfish, although they both still apply. And if you intended to use the example as a clear example of being selfish, I'd personally say it wasn't perhaps the best. That's all I was saying with it.
    If you have a better one feel free :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    If you have a better one feel free :P
    I added one to my last post, I'm just slow. xD

Nodody that says they are selfless is selfless, by the entire definition you can do whatever you want for other people but it is not selfless.

I don't consider doing something you don't like to please someone you love an act of selflessness, pleasing them pleases you so you get something out of it. Now doing something you don't like for someone you don't care about or hate, that to me is selfless. In that regard, hell no I'm not selfless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    And it will make you feel better to do something that matters to her, right? That's not selflessness. You're doing it for yourself, not her.
    Doubtfull.

I went with one of my sisters to her grandma´s last coffin sighting. She died of cancer. Was half the woman she once was. Awefull sight. Yet i stayed by her because she didnt dare to go alone. I didnt want to, and i regret doing it. But i know she needed it. I didnt gain anything other than remembering that old women as a skeleton instead of a vifit woman.

Yes. I dont really care about other people, and only use them as I see fit.

However, I believe that everything that an individual does should only be in the race's best interest, with the only except being the planet itself. So planet > humanity > individual

Individuals are just as disposable as tissue paper; men have millions of sperm per ball and women can pop out over 5 new ones during their lives.

Some of the things I do are selfless in itself, like volunteer work.
    But even in those things, I do it for selfish reasons. For instance, I want recognition for my work. Not paid, but even a simple "Thank you for your hard work. Here's a drink on the house."

I once did the maintenance of a Wordpress website for a certain organization as volunteer work.
    In the beginning, they were friendly. Later, they became more distant, mailing me with work I should do, only mailing again if it wasn't done exactly to their needs. Never a compliment or recognition, only more work. Even work that could easily be done by a professional webdesigner asking 500+ euro. But they had me as a volunteer, and I could do it for free.
    I like webdesign, programming is a hobby of mine, so don't get mistaken. But they just took advantage of me, because I did free work for them and could ask nothing in return as a volunteer.

At one point, I just quit. Never had any contact with them any more.

So basically, am I selfless? I don't think so. I don't care much about money, but I want respect for the work I do. I think that is a selfish reason.
    The act might be selfless, but the reason is selfish.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Doubtfull.

I went with one of my sisters to her grandma´s last coffin sighting. She died of cancer. Was half the woman she once was. Awefull sight. Yet i stayed by her because she didnt dare to go alone. I didnt want to, and i regret doing it. But i know she needed it. I didnt gain anything other than remembering that old women as a skeleton instead of a vifit woman.
    Sure, you might believe it to be selfless, but think about the alternative if you hadn't had stayed. Perhaps your sister would have not been happy with you or something, and you felt the alternative would be worse for you than just being there and enduring the pain. You still did this for yourself, only trying to mitigate any potential consequences your actions may impose upon you.

It's like my father back when he forced me to swim before I had my chance to stop doing that horrid sport. Should I endure the pain now, even though I hate it, instead of arguing with him and knowing that convincing him is a nigh-impossible matter? What would be the better option for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

I'm not selfless, I'm very selfish, I've always been so.

Depends if you're an ethical egoist or not, Ms. Ayn Rand.

Jokes aside, no. I am not selfless, of course, with the exception being for my loved ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift
    Yet you choose to go. Which means it was the best choice for you when you made the choice. Saying that you regret it doesn't make it selfless.

I go to family events even though I don't want to. That makes me more selfless than the person who wants to go. Who wants to listen to aunt Agnes relate her thyroid surgery? Sometimes it's a burden to do the right thing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I'm extremely selfish. I really don't do anything unless I can see a benefit for myself. Sometimes that means I'll do things for friends, because I expect them to do some things for me as well. But that also means I'm really hard to get out of the door for anything..

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I'm selfish.

I hate people, and until someone dissuades me, will continue to do so.

I also kick puppies.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Deleted
    I am so selfish, I am selfless.
    I am a registered organ and blood marrow donour. Selfless? Nah, I just buy right to feel better about me and a way to show to others how moral I am.
    I wrote website for a conference for free. Selfless? Nah, the previous plus a nice CV reference.
    I organized a charity event. The previous.

Selfishness is not an opposite of selflessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I still eat my husbands blueberry pancakes every Sunay morning. I fucking HATE pancakes. He has no idea.
    I'm going to tell on you.
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It will be tragic to him.
    Immanuel Kant would argue that lying in any case is deplorable; the truth must be known, for if such a world existed, trust and community would not exist, and thus society itself would not exist. Lying would also undermine your own efforts to lie. It is the right thing! (To Deontologists)

10+ Year Old Account
    We all have moments of selfishness and selflessness, I don't care who you are, it's true.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not especially no, nor do I think it's a particularly admirable concept. Helping others is all well and good, but take care of yourself first.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!