Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ksaf View Post
    Heard the game crashes a lot on pc. Can anyone confirm that?
    I've got two hours in the game, haven't had a single crash. Apparently the initial load of the game was crash prone, but they had a day one patch that seemed to fix it.

I'm not liking how short the game feels. It takes about 15 minutes between the first boss fight and the second (I'm assuming the Commander is considered a boss fight?), which makes you feel like the game's going to be over quickly. There is also a LOT you can miss, like the statues near the Commander. If you go to them before you fight him, you can get their weapons, after, you just get to respec. So if you don't go to them before, you miss out on the weapons.

I do like that if you beat the bosses a certain way, you get better rewards. Makes for a real challenge. The graphics are great, the weapons and armor are amazing looking. The story seems good. The voice acting is...meh, on par with Dark Souls, but yes, the lip sync is atrocious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Just got it for 16€ on G 2 A. I hope its not too buggy, Optimization seems horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I read that its one of those instances where you have to beat the game to do New Game + that really increases the difficulty.
    Yep, looks like it, but I am not complaining about difficulty anymore ... after 3rd or 4th boss it got harder.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AffenMan View Post
    Just got it for 16€ on G 2 A. I hope its not too buggy, Optimization seems horrible.
    I'm running a GTX 770 and i5 3570K (not OC'd) and at max settings, I don't drop below 50 FPS at any point. I've seen people with better systems than mine complain about low frames, artifacts, glitches, things of that nature, but I haven't had one issue yet.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I'm playing this on PS4 and it really enjoying. I like the additions to the dark souls formula with the decaying bloodstain, perfect timing system and holding down R2 to spend extra stamina for a bigger swing. Also the exp multiplier is a good risk/reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Describe the gameplay to me as someone who has never played Dark Souls. I've watched some videos of this game and it looks similar to Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which I absolutely loved, but I'm concerned about things I've heard about the actual controls in Lords of the Fallen. Is it something fairly simple to pick up or is it the kind of game that if I can't master the combos I will constantly struggle to progress through the game?

Also, what does "partial controller support" mean for the PC version? I have the Xbox 360 controller for PC and want to know if I can use it or not. Playing with the keyboard is not an option to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Describe the gameplay to me as someone who has never played Dark Souls. I've watched some videos of this game and it looks similar to Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which I absolutely loved, but I'm concerned about things I've heard about the actual controls in Lords of the Fallen. Is it something fairly simple to pick up or is it the kind of game that if I can't master the combos I will constantly struggle to progress through the game?

Also, what does "partial controller support" mean for the PC version? I have the Xbox 360 controller for PC and want to know if I can use it or not. Playing with the keyboard is not an option to me.
    I am playing it with ps3 controller on win8 just fine (On win7 the controller needs some 3rd party tools, but works the same). No idea how it works for xbox controller, but expect similar experience. What partial support means ... I have no idea, you play it with a controller on pc, no need for keyboard, end of story.

If I was to describe the gameplay it would be something between dark souls and darksiders. The difficult content starts after 2nd boss and there are harder class combos and easier ones. I would say from hardest to easiest it's rogue>cleric>warrior, but I play warrior, only tried cleric and rogue to 1st boss kill.

As for the difficulty ... warrior is fairly simple. There is a one-two combo, you definitelly want quake for those pesky heavy shield enemies but aside from that you play like a hulk. A smash machine. You can die very easilly to a single enemy if you open on him a wrong way, but you can kill enemies in two swings if you do it the right way and/or use decoy/rage/quake.

Overall if you are a fan of Skyrim/Dark souls/Darksiders kind of gameplay it's a satisfying buy.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2014-11-01 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I am playing it with ps3 controller on win8 just fine (On win7 the controller needs some 3rd party tools, but works the same). No idea how it works for xbox controller, but expect similar experience. What partial support means ... I have no idea, you play it with a controller on pc, no need for keyboard, end of story.

If I was to describe the gameplay it would be something between dark souls and darksiders. The difficult content starts after 2nd boss and there are harder class combos and easier ones. I would say from hardest to easiest it's rogue>cleric>warrior, but I play warrior, only tried cleric and rogue to 1st boss kill.

As for the difficulty ... warrior is fairly simple. There is a one-two combo, you definitelly want quake for those pesky heavy shield enemies but aside from that you play like a hulk. A smash machine. You can die very easilly to a single enemy if you open on him a wrong way, but you can kill enemies in two swings if you do it the right way and/or use decoy/rage/quake.

Overall if you are a fan of Skyrim/Dark souls/Darksiders kind of gameplay it's a satisfying buy.
    Thank you for your response, but like I said, I never played Dark Souls so it's not a good reference for me. If the controls are like Skyrim though, then I'll be avoiding it. That was the whole reason I never played it.

I sincerely hope From Software applies the new ideas LotF has developed and applies them to DS3. These two games building on top will drive this niche forward.

Thank you for your response, but like I said, I never played Dark Souls so it's not a good reference for me. If the controls are like Skyrim though, then I'll be avoiding it. That was the whole reason I never played it.
    No, the controls with a controller are like in any other console game, the Skyrim reference is in regard of what you like to play. And if you never played Dark Souls, maybe you like other genres more. I would recommend the game to anyone who like Dark Souls or Darksiders kind of gameplay, since it's a mix of both.

The controls are almost identical to the dark souls, which is a good thing because DS has very good controls.

I play on PS4 so the controls are R1/R2 are light/strong attacks, L1/L2 are block/parry. Movement is as you would expect, square uses items, X is roll/sprint, circle is magic and triangle swaps between 1hand/2hand. Dpad arrow buttons do various menu related things as well as cycling your ranged weapon.

The controls are responsive, overall the movement and gameplay is slowed down on purpose compared to most action games and everything feels heavier/meatier/weighty with lots of impact on every action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Like I said, I never played Dark Souls so these comparisons don't mean anything to me.

Thank you, Yalingo for breaking down how the buttons actually work though. Are they customizable? Not a fan of the layout you're describing so hopefully you can change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    The controls are almost identical to the dark souls, which is a good thing because DS has very good controls.
    I had to blink before I believed what I was reading. If anything, the controls (on the pc port at least) are the worst ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I had to blink before I believed what I was reading. If anything, the controls (on the pc port at least) are the worst ever.
    Then use a controller? I seriously don't understand people who get console ported games for PC but refuse to play with a controller, cuz PC master race. I'm anti console and even I own a controller for my PC. I tried playing DS and DS2 with a keyboard and mouse, just ew. Totally meant for a controller.

I doubt very many people actually play these types of games with a keyboard and mouse. That's like using a controller to play RTS games. No bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Then use a controller? I seriously don't understand people who get console ported games for PC but refuse to play with a controller, cuz PC master race. I'm anti console and even I own a controller for my PC. I tried playing DS and DS2 with a keyboard and mouse, just ew. Totally meant for a controller.

I doubt very many people actually play these types of games with a keyboard and mouse. That's like using a controller to play RTS games. No bueno.
    WITH a controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played this game from start to end and I'm going to have to say this game is buggy as shit. You get stuck in crevices constantly. Bosses hit you even though you didn't get hit so hitboxes are messed up. The Worshiper trapped me behind one of the shrines after he destroyed it and then just stood there. I couldn't get out either so I had to restart my game. Enemies will run back to their starting positions and reset themselves when they get low health sometimes. They just disappear and reappear with full health.

Sometimes I die and I don't even respawn either! This is supposed to be hard game too but the difficulty curve GOES DOWN! Even in new game plus the game is so easy once you have all your gear upgraded with big resistance runes. This was a huge disappointment and not worth $60 dollars. Also clawfinger is broken. Most overpowered weapon in the game. It makes enemies fall apart like they're nothing.

LotF is a pretty solid game, I can actually use the controls to start (I'm looking at you Dark Souls). The game is difficult for the first play through but once you start gearing up, it gets easier. Not to mention the NG+ feature allows you to access more schools of magic. Overall though I'm level 81 and about to down the last boss on NG+ without any glitches. One crash but it is a game and that's easily forgivable.

this is the first i've heard of this game - i love D3 and everything DS so I have high hopes
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Quote Originally Posted by ksaf View Post
    Heard the game crashes a lot on pc. Can anyone confirm that?
    Works like a charm here.

This game is what dark souls 2 should've been.

10+ Year Old Account
    so i finally decided to buy the game and i played for about 2 hours before i crashed ( not counting a crash when i started the game for the first time). besides the crash the game was good. i played it with keyboard/mouse and it was actually fine