Thread: Shaman Memories

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shaman Memories

In the spirit of the Priest Memories thread. Post your most treasured shaman memories!

The big one (kinda literally) is probably the two-handed windfury goodness during vanilla. I actually leveled my shaman as elemental initially, but in the late 30's I respecced to enhancement, got myself some sweet mail gear from Scarlet Monastery, and was lucky enough to get the super slow two-handed mace from the last boss in Uldum. Shortly afterwards I had a world PvP encounter with an alliance questing group near Stromgarde in Arathi Highlands. I obliterated the entire team with windfury procs.

During vanilla I also used to go on bot hunting sprees in Azshara, since it was a popular bot farming spot with the furlborg camps. I would kite them north and jump down the cliffs towards the ocean, and then lure them out as far as I could with water walking.

There was also a brief period during WotLK when an oversight was discovered where you could attack players from your own faction by timing your fire nova totem just right with logging out. Shamans in both horde and alliance used this newfound knowledge to destroy the gold spammer pests in their capitals. For a brief period before it was hotfixed, the spammers knew fear.

Oh, and remember when being in ghost wolf form would make you immune to sap? Take that, rogues!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    There was also a brief period during WotLK when an oversight was discovered where you could attack players from your own faction by timing your fire nova totem just right with logging out. Shamans in both horde and alliance used this newfound knowledge to destroy the gold spammer pests in their capitals. For a brief period before it was hotfixed, the spammers knew fear.
    Ha! I remember this, that was really fun!

I remember climbing the mountain in Durotar for your fire totem quest and standing on top of the world while instantly falling in love with the game (:

That sense of accomplishment from finally getting to level 41 and having both SS and Dual Wield

Also...being the only Enhance shaman on my server in TBC...granted I was only drug into raids because the warriors and rogues wanted my WF Totem goodness...but drag me around they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was really frustrated at the time that I did the totem quests back in classic WoW. But after being all done, I felt pretty proud of myself given that I was a newcomer to the MMO scene. While other shaman consolidated their totems into one with the Cataclysm quest, I kept all four because I had fond memories of getting each one. I was greatly saddened -- and pissed off at Blizzard -- to see them removed from my bank in Patch 5.0.4.

Another memory is of leveling up pre-TBC. Being the newbie I was, I didn't fully understand how the talent tree system worked. And by "not fully understand", I mean along the lines of thinking, "Why can't I have them all? (>.<)" So I leveled with most of my talents in resto and the rest a mix of enhance/ele. It wasn't until I was in the lower 50s range that one of my brothers did a look over at my shaman and... oh man, he clearly boggled at my results. So that was when I got my first lesson about specs and I became enhance.

I also loved the old Windfury totem. It made me happy being able to share such an awesome effect with others.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

For me it was the early leveling. Dealing with elemental spirits in Mulgore, earning the Enamored Water Spirit trinket in Hillsbrad. It was refreshing to play a fantasy game with a shamanic Native American groove, even if the elemental stuff trumped the spirit stuff over time.

Deleted
    I remember when I first started playing Enhancement Shaman in TBC. I fell in love with Windfury. Running around in BG's with a 2hander and oneshot people! I miss it so much

10+ Year Old Account
    In classic, my spouse and I had a twink(ish) duo camped at level 39 for pvp - druid and shaman. I was the shaman; enhance down to the quick ghost wolf talent, then resto with the leftover points. Since no one got mounts until 40 then, but we had travel form and ghost wolf, we were a powerful team for WSG flag running. No one could catch up, but good utility and heals on the off chance someone did.

WSG was literally all we did on those characters.

I had another shaman -- my Horde main -- that I also played... but my favourite shaman memory is still running along the flag, popping out of ghost wolf long enough to get a heal on my druid and a frost shock on the dude catching up to us, and then wolfing up again to book it.

I still have that shaman! Forever 39.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    I remember I stoped playing my shaman because I couldn't figure out were to go to complete the earth totem q. Couldn't even read english back then -.-

Back in TBC when Thunderstorm was first introduced I was in Halaa doing my normal daily thing and a group of 5 horde jumped me and killed me. So I rezzed and mounted up real quick and flew up to one of the flying landmasses. I waited and sure enough they all flew up there and I knocked them all to their deaths. It just felt really gratifying lol.

Another good memory is when my Shaman was twinked for a few weeks at 49 and I had Kang the Decapitator. I miss one shotting literally everyone I encountered with those glorious WF procs.

Simply being able to provide totem utility..and by totem utility I don't mean dropping an occasional healing totem to help the raid out. Shamans used to be sort of a "support role" where we brought an enormous amount of raid buffs and passive raid wide healing/mana regen. They pretty much axed most of that function of the shaman in MoP and with WoD (removing stormlash + healing tide) we pretty much play like any other dps spec..I just miss feeling like I really brought something special to a raid/party with all my totem toys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    Simply being able to provide totem utility..and by totem utility I don't mean dropping an occasional healing totem to help the raid out. Shamans used to be sort of a "support role" where we brought an enormous amount of raid buffs and passive raid wide healing/mana regen. They pretty much axed most of that function of the shaman in MoP and with WoD (removing stormlash + healing tide) we pretty much play like any other dps spec..I just miss feeling like I really brought something special to a raid/party with all my totem toys.
    I really hate when blizzard does things like this. They take things that make a class unique and treat it like they're bad and get rid of them. I loved seeing totems surrounding shamans and knowing they had a purpose. But in todays wow things that make classes special are thrown out for flash and fluff. Homogenization.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember the water totem quest, that took so long! I didn't even know where to go, had to thottbot a lot....then I had to go to the Eastern Kingdom, to Tarren Mill. I didn't even know this continent existed

With my overpowered Ghost Wolf form I ran all the way to Tarren Mill and got ganked by a lot of allies (TBC just came out so a lot of Draeneu were leveling in Hillsbrad).

On the topic of Windfury, didn't we have to get slow 2.6 weapons because of the internal cooldown? ;-)
    I also remember my first relic I got in Hellfire Peninsula which allowed me to store my totems in my bank...4more bag spaces, hell yes! Oh, and I remember the time I hit level 62 and finally got Water Shield, it looks so much better than Lightning Shield. I didn't care that I lost a bit of damage, Water Shield visuals were far more important to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favourite moment was probably when I got Windfury because most of my deaths happened in the level range before obtaining it.

Why was it my favourite moment? Well, when I first started playing the game, I'd always treated my characters as if it were "Hardcore" mode just to spice things up a bit, and so I deleted them after every death that didn't involve another player, ending up with me making Shaman alt after Shaman alt until I reached level 60.

What can I say? It was and still is my favourite class, so I enjoyed playing it over and over again, and I grew up playing Asian MMORPG's so leveling wasn't as hard as some people make it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that one guy who onehitted 60 Onyxia (at lvl 60) due to multiple Windfury procs proccing on one another. Blizzard nerfed it afterwards ^^

Deleted
    I leveled my shaman from 1-60 by PvP'ing and only received xp by turning in Warsong Gulch Marks. Memorable moments were:

First BG @ level 20, Frost Shock makes level 27 player flee in terror. Stayed for a while in this bracket as level 29 Shaman with Corpsemaker and Rockbiter Enchant, dealing ridiculous autohit damage. With a 3.8 speed axe at level 30, windfury obviously killed in one hit.
    Reaching level 40 with full Scarlet Monastry Mail armor, winning duels against players 10 levels higher.

I spent most of my time in the 50-59 Bracket, playing with the same guys every day. Their perspective on me chasing the enemy flag carrier was always like:
    Me chasing after 3 enemy players into the next room. Screams of terror and me returning while saying in teamspeak: "Got 'em!" or "Yup... they're dead".
    I was known for wearing "The Gladiator" set from the BRD Ring of Law. At lvl 60 i had the unstoppable force, WSG epics, the 3piece hunter set from AB and the epic shaman class quest helmet.

Started raiding with my guild early BC... Karazhan, Gruul, Magtheridon, Voidreaver, Hydross and Lurker. With the introduction of Zul'Aman i joined a group for
    time runs in a mix of ZA Vendor epics, Karazhan gear, Engineering Goggles and Arena Gear. Soon after joining that group i was "discovered" by a big raiding guild and was thrown into BT, 30 minutes after talking to the GM for the first time. 24 raiders in the highest raid tier... and me, a smalltime raider, who has never been in an organized raid.

What really helped me making the jump from casual raider to 3rd best raiding guild in my faction and proud member of a kickass Group 2 (Melee Team) was learning how to do

Totem Twisting. Which is the most memorable term of shaman history for me.

Deleted
    The BEST thing forever and ever was the forgotten searing totem... and all the wipes that they caused. :P

Deleted
    I remember doing quests to get totems.... took a long time to get them but was so mutch fun. And then I was so happy when I finally got that nice totem!

15+ Year Old Account
    Insane Chain Lightning crits by stacking multiple Stormstrikes on the same target:

Not my video, but this is what I mean

Climbing the small hill in Durotar to gain the Earth Elemental and totem... Then promptly falling off into the Barrens sea, trying to swim to Rachet and getting destroyed by skull level mobs and having -no- idea what had just happened.

Finally earning enough talent points to unlock 2-handed weapons and feeling like a badass.

Totem Twisting like mad to get all them buffs rollings. Actually feeling like a Support class.

Being that one guy in the raid who played Enhance due to the debuff on Nightfall

Finally getting the shoulderpads from ICC with the cool animation.

The list continues and continues.

Deleted
    Reaching #1 world ele/frost 2s during s8 for sure.

Second fondest memory is raiding on my 18th birthday, Killing Onyxia, getting the helmet of ten storms, backpack (18 slot bags were a big deal) and having the entire raid singing me happy birthday on vent. Good times