Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Consoles just work.
    They suit people who do not know about what makes up their box, but simply want to pick up a game and to know pretty quickly if it will work.

Fixed hardware means a fairly consistent experience, more than you can say for PC's.

You play what you want, let others play what they want.

There is room for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Think about it. Wouldn't it just be absolutely incredible?
    No. Options are spur a robust industry.

Consumers are worse off for having fewer options to fit their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by mehow2g View Post
    I disagree I've played all the genres you have mentioned KB/Mouse is king for me.

I didn't mean to offend you, just my opinion.
    M/KB is king of shooters, mmos and rts/mobas.

Platformers- Controller is superior
    Action- Controller is superior
    Fast Paced RPGs- Controller is superior
    Slow Paced RPGs- Wash
    Fighters- arcade stick>controller>m/kb
    Racing- Wheel>controller>m/kb

This isn't "ZOMG you can't play those genres on other setups" it's just facts of how the layout is for them. You don't see the top speed runners of Super Meat Boy running it with a fucking mouse/kb setup, they use a controller. Most Dark Souls speed runners use a controller. Want me to go on? Just as m/kb is more precise for certain genres a controller is more precise for other genres. There is no opinion on what is or isn't more precise, there is only facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by addlemanc View Post
    I'm sorry, but PC vs Consoles are also 2 different audiences (mostly). A lot (no numbers, but I imagine the vast majority) who play consoles like it cause they can sit on their couch and just use a controller. Yes, you can do that with a PC, but it isn't always going to work with all games.
    But that's kinda the point. If you finally got rid of these fuckered up consoles, PCs would take their place. Inevitably someone would make a 'console PC' (I think Steam's doing that already?) that would plug into your TV like a console, but being a PC, game makers wouldn't have to make multiple versions of the same game, dumb them down for consoles, then port those shitty versions over to a PC like they do now. It would all be ONE system. Programming and coding would be so much simpler.

You mention "but not all games work with a controller". Right, and those games never go to consoles, do they? Your point is moot, as that's how the current system works ANYWAY. Besides, more and more games lately are adding support for controllers on PC; it boggles my mind that Blizzard doesn't have innate support for controllers in D3. So, again, you have ONE console that has games that do and do not function with a controller, rather than several consoles to split them up over.

There doesn't need to be any exclusive 'boxes'. Fuck steam, fuck origin. Make a PC. Plug it into your TV, watch netflix (which I believe MOST freaking consoles are sold for, I swear), play your games. No need for anything fancy or special, just a regular PC. One console. One box.

I don't care if it gets called something else. As long as the system inside is still the same, it makes it much simpler for the game companies. Instead of having to support two different video cards (ATI/AMD and Nvidia) as well as several different consoles running the different cards, you just have one system running the two different architectures to deal with. Two choices is a lot better than 3+, right?

Especially when every different version you make just costs more and more money, and the game you create might bomb on one system in sales while it does wonderfully on another. Eventually the company will just drop making games on that bad console all together, and then the people who ONLY have that one system won't be able to play the games they want.

PC gamers get fucked out of certain games because the companies behind them don't want to 'port' them to PC, even though they were probably MADE on a fucking computer. So I have to go out and spend a small fortune on consoles that I will hardly ever play just because I want to play a particular game. That's just plain theft in my book.

As for which I/O device is the best? Who gives a shit? The computer can use them all! Driving wheels, controllers, arcade sticks, fucking internet-driven dildos, it doesn't matter, if it can plug into a PC, it'll get used!
    Last edited by endersblade; 2014-11-02 at 07:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    But that's kinda the point. If you finally got rid of these fuckered up consoles, PCs would take their place. Inevitably someone would make a 'console PC' (I think Steam's doing that already?) that would plug into your TV like a console, but being a PC, game makers wouldn't have to make multiple versions of the same game, dumb them down for consoles, then port those shitty versions over to a PC like they do now. It would all be ONE system. Programming and coding would be so much simpler.

You mention "but not all games work with a controller". Right, and those games never go to consoles, do they? Your point is moot, as that's how the current system works ANYWAY. Besides, more and more games lately are adding support for controllers on PC; it boggles my mind that Blizzard doesn't have innate support for controllers in D3. So, again, you have ONE console that has games that do and do not function with a controller, rather than several consoles to split them up over.

There doesn't need to be any exclusive 'boxes'. Fuck steam, fuck origin. Make a PC. Plug it into your TV, watch netflix (which I believe MOST freaking consoles are sold for, I swear), play your games. No need for anything fancy or special, just a regular PC. One console. One box.

I don't care if it gets called something else. As long as the system inside is still the same, it makes it much simpler for the game companies. Instead of having to support two different video cards (ATI/AMD and Nvidia) as well as several different consoles running the different cards, you just have one system running the two different architectures to deal with. Two choices is a lot better than 3+, right?

Especially when every different version you make just costs more and more money, and the game you create might bomb on one system in sales while it does wonderfully on another. Eventually the company will just drop making games on that bad console all together, and then the people who ONLY have that one system won't be able to play the games they want.

PC gamers get fucked out of certain games because the companies behind them don't want to 'port' them to PC, even though they were probably MADE on a fucking computer. So I have to go out and spend a small fortune on consoles that I will hardly ever play just because I want to play a particular game. That's just plain theft in my book.

As for which I/O device is the best? Who gives a shit? The computer can use them all! Driving wheels, controllers, arcade sticks, fucking internet-driven dildos, it doesn't matter, if it can plug into a PC, it'll get used!
    Top post, you're gonna get a lot of hate because you make too much sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reality says... no.

So long as PCs are upgradable and can have a billion different software and hardware configurations (quite literally), you're going to have issues.
    Aside from potential software conflicts, let's just look at each part.

CPU. How to utilize it, how many cores and hyper threading is a potential.
    MoBo. Doesn't really matter -too- much except for firmware and drivers.
    Memory. Frequency, CL, capacity, dual, tri, or quad channel.
    SSD. Firmware updates may be needed. Can have issues like the recent 840 EVO.
    HDD. Not much really.
    GPU. Driver, bios, software.
    Peripheral (mouse and keyboard). Macro buttons and the required software may (and has) caused conflicts.

You need to factor in whether it's Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Mac, Linux, etc etc.

PCs are not just one single system configuration, period. It makes programming harder, not easier.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-11-02 at 07:31 AM.

I do have a feeling that if they continue developing the way they have this generation Consoles will go away not because they are bad but because they are going away from being a gaming machine and more along the lines of a pc. But at the same time I can see handhelds replacing consoles as they are becoming more and more powerful themselves.

Consoles will ALWAYS exist, and will never go away. They will simply evolve to a point where there are different level versions of the console, with a higher level having more power. This is what Steam is doing & is trying to get ahead of.

Once we get to that stage, it will stay like that possibly forever, or until technology advances until we hit some type of limit or it's as realistic as it's going to get, and it will go back to being only one version of the console, because it will have all the power it needs.

Nintendo is the only real console all their Nintendo franchise games play beautifully with 40-60fps at all times when Xbox and Sony mainly Xbox have this graphics war and pushing the consoles limits so far it ends up being a 15-30fps game, its unfucking playable.

All in all consoles limit gaming progression every single generation of consoles the gaming industry as a whole including PC get a graphics jump because Xbox and Sony can hang for about 3 months until PC's get stronger again.

I got the latest GTA on my PS3 the fps is appalling.
    Last edited by mehow2g; 2014-11-02 at 07:36 AM.

Deleted
    Oh also to note, do anyone actually believe that if the consoles were gone, the developer/publisher would spend that money on optimization, when they could please the stockholders with more money?

You realise consoles are exactly what you're talking about already right? Consoles ARE "living room PCs"... They have APUs, RAM, Graphics Cards Power Supplies etc...

The difference is they are closed platform PCs, with custom operating systems.

Shady business practices aside, competition is not a bad thing, it drives the medium forward. A single platform with a single distributor would stagnate the industry because there would be no need for that company to take any risks while the profits roll in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

10+ Year Old Account
    it really isnt cause some form of competition is healthy and beneficial, you'd think with only one gaming platform all companies would optimize for best results, while in reality they would do bare minimum for maximum price, since there would be no alternatives, you either play or you dont.

Why a future without these threads is wonderful: they always turn into console vs PC.