Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone else struggling to enjoy mage?

There's just something about the way all the mage specs play out this expac that is making it hard for me to enjoy this class after loving it since vanilla. I'm really finding it hard to feel safe investing in my mage as a main while leveling up.

I've just switch to my war at 103 because I feel like I'm making a mistake and losing out by maining a mage this time round.

Is anyone else feeling this?

Fire mage rotation is very smooth and fun atm IMO, but mostly as a DPS in group where someone is tanking and healing

as far as solo lvling goes- Ive never really liked mage for that ever since vanilla, IMO melee DPS specs, ~hunters/locks (ranged with pet tanks) and even tanks are all better for that .. just gotta get through it

10+ Year Old Account
    go frost for leveling, good to go.

Pretty ok leveling on my fire mage, yet to see any problems.

Use mirror images for tough mobs/elites and use frost nova/blast wave/dragon's breath when they get close
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Use mirror images for tough mobs/elites and use frost nova/blast wave/dragon's breath when they get close
    Use blast wave before they get close! The 70% movereduction gets you one or two more spells in while they do the slowmotion walk.

My basic rotation for opening on mobs is; Fireball -> Blastwave. From there, you change rotation on wether or not you crit and if there are multiple mobs

But back on topic!
    Fire mage for me is really smooth! It is fun, bursty and with the right amount of CC. Not too much, but still enough to be effective! I, for one, love it!

Deleted
    Fire mage is like pure ecstasy. The most fun class in the game

Deleted
    TBH, mage is fun in end game contents because you just need to stand at back and blow things up.

Although during leveling, like most of other casters, due to mobs with high HP in this expansion, you do need to face tank mobs most of the time, which will put some people off. There are a few things you can do to minimize it (certain talent, frost spec...), but you will have to face tank a lot.

Deleted
    All good points guys but some of you think I'm talking about difficulty, I'm not. I'm just talking about the general feel of the class. I'd say 'class fantasy' but when you're a fire mage you really do feel like your creating an absolute inferno. I'm just not enjoying the gameplay of any spec for the first time.

I think what I used to like about mage the most was the having the ability to control the fight and escape control. You was a glass cannon, with a load of dirty tricks up your sleeve. Now it seem's like the tricks have been traded in for a higher caliber bore.

However switching over to my war playing fury. Which is ironically the exact type of gameplay I'm complaining about. It just feels like the balance is right. I'm squishy, but I don't feel like I have to be the one on the back thought while I'm pulling the trigger. I assume that's because of the psychological effect of melee though.

Just my personal opinion though. I'm just asking to see if I may be just 'not getting it'.

I'm loving Fire.
    But i really wish they release new casting animations soon :P
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Deleted
    I was just thinking how awesome it would be to see a fire mage throwing out 6 firebolts out of each hand in succession every half second. Bit like fists of fury.

There isn't really any rapid fire magic spells in the game like that, the closest would be arcane missiles. But it's the animation and speed I'm thinking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally love that Fire is one of the only rDPS specs where you aren't just mindlessly going through a rotation. Hot streak means you actually need to think about when to use your resources (Flame On, Fire blast, etc. saving for Combustion phase).

Plus, no actual dots is pretty sweet. I'm glad it's way easier to maintain your dots as Balance and Shadow now than it ever was before, but it's still not fun to make sure it's up on every enemy.

phoenix flames feels really clunky with the travel time.

Deleted
    coming from maining ww monk wasnt expecting to have such a blast levelling a caster, fire is so moba and tricky, when u make some good pulls and burn them down kiting like a baws is so satisfing

Deleted
    Honestly I hated leveling as mage but now i'm done with that bullshit i'm actually really beginning to enjoy myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying Fire quite a bit, got crits like nobodies business.

Quote Originally Posted by Insurge View Post
    All good points guys but some of you think I'm talking about difficulty, I'm not. I'm just talking about the general feel of the class. I'd say 'class fantasy' but when you're a fire mage you really do feel like your creating an absolute inferno. I'm just not enjoying the gameplay of any spec for the first time.

I think what I used to like about mage the most was the having the ability to control the fight and escape control. You was a glass cannon, with a load of dirty tricks up your sleeve. Now it seem's like the tricks have been traded in for a higher caliber bore.

However switching over to my war playing fury. Which is ironically the exact type of gameplay I'm complaining about. It just feels like the balance is right. I'm squishy, but I don't feel like I have to be the one on the back thought while I'm pulling the trigger. I assume that's because of the psychological effect of melee though.

Just my personal opinion though. I'm just asking to see if I may be just 'not getting it'.
    I'll admit that having Tome of Shifting Winds while leveling is an absolute godsend that negates your complaint for me, literally everything I fight gets a 70% slow consistently...

But if you really want control, you basically gotta talent into it. Shimmer, Blast Wave, and Ring of Frost or Ice Ward are all control talents, and of course you still have your Frost Nova and Sheep. Spending Hot Streak on Flamestrike is also another form of control (if you don't have the class trinket).

You can control most NPC fights as a mage, but It might require more movement than maybe your used to too. I have more of a Hunter background, so I'm totally used to never sitting still and the fire mage is the one caster that is still good at that.

feeling exactly like this, have enjoyed playing the same mage character for 11 years and the legion class simplifications have killed that enjoyment completely

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Fire mage is like pure ecstasy. The most fun class in the game
    It is really fun but.. Perhaps to fun? Don't know if others feels the same, but fire are so much fun and also strong - it actually makes me feel somehow that something is wrong with it. Like it is to good to be true , something like that. Perhaps it is the fact that I don't feel challenged enough while playing it ? It is too smooth and good ?

Deleted
    There's just something about the way all the mage specs play out this expac that is making it hard for me to enjoy this class after loving it since vanilla. I'm really finding it hard to feel safe investing in my mage as a main while leveling up.

I've just switch to my war at 103 because I feel like I'm making a mistake and losing out by maining a mage this time round.

I'll sign that 100%, in my opinton it is because mage was made a ~40-45 CD "push all the buttons" char, which differs quite a lot from what it used to be....
    Last edited by mmoc4bdec3ae25; 2016-08-30 at 06:43 PM.