Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's like Kolento said though, since they both won their first match, no matter who won in theirs, the loser can still make it through the losers bracket.
    As for tides, he lost to Tarei in the qualifiers, I think it was KitKatz who overslept(who afer the match said he had beaten tides many times on ladder). Trump got a pretty high ladder ranking multiple times but could never make it, he did actually beat Kolento in seat story so I wouldn't count him down too much. I think he has improved and he's taking ladder/tournaments alot more serious now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win a big tournament "soon".
    Oh he did? I was sure Tides didn't make it, still doesn't really matter, Tarei is good as well.

Trump is easily my favourite Hearthstone player, and I catch his stream whenever I can, and I really hope that he does win a big tournament soon, his problems on the ladder, in my eye anyway, come from him also being an entertainer, like last season (or maybe the season before), he stuck with the priest deck that was pretty much dead in the meta all the way from Rank 4 legend down to like Rank 500 before changing it up, and I feel most of that was because the Priest deck was bringing in a lot of viewers.

He also supposedly hates traveling, but hopefully after the positive experience at Seatstory, it should get him out and about to tournaments a bit more, he's pretty much a guaranteed to get in, if only for the viewership that he can bring to any tournament just by participating.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2014-11-05 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Oh he did? I was sure Tides didn't make it, still doesn't really matter, Tarei is good as well.

Trump is easily my favourite Hearthstone player, and I catch his stream whenever I can, and I really hope that he does win a big tournament soon, his problems on the ladder, in my eye anyway, come from him also being an entertainer, like last season (or maybe the season before), he stuck with the priest deck that was pretty much dead in the meta all the way from Rank 4 legend down to like Rank 500 before changing it up, and I feel most of that was because the Priest deck was bringing in a lot of viewers.

He also supposedly hates traveling, but hopefully after the positive experience at Seatstory, it should get him out and about to tournaments a bit more, he's pretty much a guaranteed to get in, if only for the viewership that he can bring to any tournament just by participating.
    Yeah, he also keeps reading chat etc while laddering. Whenever I play HS and watch a stream at the same time or something else that causes me to not be 100% concetrated on the game, I see my performance drop aswell. So I can only imagine how it has to be for him, doing shoutouts, reading chat and answering questions etc. So it's pretty impressive that he got as high as he did.

As for the traveling, I think he said he wanted to do more tournaments now. He might have to do atleast a set amount of them now that he's in TSM aswell (I assume).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    If you can't create consistent "champs" in ANY sport, you will loose the interest of the masses in the long run.
    Fuck it then just invite the 8 most popular streamers every time and have them play because clearly if a well known top player loses there must be something wrong as they are untouchable.

I don't know where you're comming from- in every sport fans want parity and as many equal teams/players as possible so I can't really see how HS would not benefit from it. You're bothered by RNG and that's why you wrote all that. Top players have won many tournaments already and they will win many more while others will have their 15 minutes of fame and then fade out if they won't work on their game.

There are new players comming in all the time and there will come a time when Kolento and other top players right now will be second to someone. RNG is very obvious in small samples but these players always look at the long run and it's only then that the skill and their winning percentages really come into play. Yes a first time player can beat the best player in the world if they only play one game but if they play 100 of them the best player will win at least 80-90 of those games.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    you can be good at the game without necessarily having a stream.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    The fact Kolento IS in that losers bracket while an Italian made it to the final 8 and just started to play the game and was a substitute for 2 friends who were not even interested in participating says everything really.

Also everyone agrees that both Kolento and Tides are the two best players 24/7 in Hearthstone.

Tides even wanted a direct match at BlizzCon against Kolento. He didn't even qualify. And the others you mentioned are in the top 20 any way.

tldr: without these STAR players at Blizzcon you might as well throw dice and declare a random winner between the 10K best players in the world.

That's not esports, that's a lottery.

Chances are that NO ONE of the 8 finalists will make it through the pre selections of the WC in 2015... just look at last year.

Compare this with the fabulous pre BlizzCon WOW Arena matches or the SC2 tournaments and you'll see that skill there is 90% and 10% luck. In HS it is the exact opposite.

HS constructed is not suited for tournament play, simple as that. As a stockholder I love it for its money making, but frankly it is the most terrible game Blizzard ever made AND they promoted it as an esports even.

It is nice to play it on the toilet with the iPAd in hand, but this "tournament" from a skill point of view... is simply silly.

And Blizzard knows it of course, or why do you think that laughing of Brode stopped instantly when Kolento lost...

If you can't create consistent "champs" in ANY sport, you will loose the interest of the masses in the long run.

First show some respect for the Italian Koar, he is on par with the others in the last 16, not well known but clearly a good enough player to compete at the top level.

Two there is no best player, out of these 16 all have a chance to win, it's a game where chance plays a big part. You need amazing luck to come back from a terrible opening hand vs a great opening hand. Then top decking just what you need on top of that, there is so much luck in the game. People need to get over saying x or y is the best player(s). What is needed is to be good enough to not misplay.

The best way for a player to show their skill is to innovate a brand new deck and take it to these big tournaments. Playing decks that your opponent can predict takes away a lot of the skill however you still NEED to not make any misplays and you still MUST predict as well as it is possible to.

The well known players are perceived to be the best due to the fact that they are invited to a lot of tournaments, and a lot good players that are not well known have
    been unhappy about that. The World Championship had a comprehensive qualification process, meaning that if you are in the last 16 you absolutely deserve to be there.

In summary: Well known does not necessarily = Best player(s) and unknown does not necessarily = lucky players.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Deleted
    I'm surprised that Kolento didn't make it to the strict final.

Deleted
    These finals needs more Brode.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    I'm surprised that Kolento didn't make it to the strict final.
    He got Raging Worgen comboed out of the tournament, pretty funny really....Kranich had been sat on Raging Worgen, Charge and Inner Rage and we all sat there thinking Kolento had it and the Worgen combo was dumb. Then BOOM Death's Bite top deck, Kranich cuts through 2 taunts and deals 16 damage (exact lethal) to Kolento's face.

Ben Bos will not be pleased.

Deleted
    Firebat vs Dtwo, one of best matchups i've seen so far in HS
    That last game was so freaking close, i almost fell out of my chair when Firebat drew that DWA.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha Tiddler 3-0'ed by Firebat, he had nothing to him!

Well played Firebat!!!! Gz on being first HS world champion! And gz on 100k dollars.

Deleted
    Oh man, amazing wipeout in the final, congrats Firebat, well played!

Deleted
    100k boyz, good job by Firebat.

Deleted
    All this topdecking and this is considered a serious e-sport, hilarious

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hookus View Post
    serious e-sport
    Yeah man, you said it

Deleted
    Implying there's 0 luck in regular sports, or any of the other e-sports?

Deleted
    Welcome to cardgames, where luck and skill combine to make things actually interesting
    If there was no luck involved and two players where of equal skill, the games would just be infinitely long (or in case of Hearthstone each game would end in the starting player losing because he would get to fatique first).

It's actually the only e-sport i enjoy watching. Wow arenas or fps games just get boring to watch after 5 mins imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been out of the loop in regards to other tournaments, what did firebat mean about other pro players rescheduling games or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Criiz View Post
    Been out of the loop in regards to other tournaments, what did firebat mean about other pro players rescheduling games or something.
    He's probably on about the 'established' players/streamers (e.g. Kolento, Numberguy, Frozenice, etc.) keeping 'new' players out of the tournament loop so they can keep the qualifiers within their own 'circle'.
    Firebat is one of those 'new' players, for qualifying you need to win one of the Qualifier tournaments and the 'established' people basically keep you out of there. He actually had to win one of the smaller qualifiers where there's no 'pro' players to qualify for the WC.

MTG used to have the same issue (all the pro players where spot on for registering for the PTQ's so you couldn't get a slot as a newer player). WOTC solved that problem by both making you able to get Propoints for winning FNM and gameday tournaments and hosting wildcard tournaments one day before the PT tournaments, so practically everyone has a shot at qualifying.
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2014-11-08 at 10:04 PM.

Deleted
    GZ for Firebat. Going 3-0, nice.

#DruidsOP,nerfpls xD

Kinda sad Tiddler got sweeped like that, I'd really say he deserves a win right about now. But gratz to firebat, I've been watching his stream every now and then and he's definitly a great player. I guess he will be getting invites to all of the tournaments now.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Welcome to cardgames, where luck and skill combine to make things actually interesting
    If there was no luck involved and two players where of equal skill, the games would just be infinitely long (or in case of Hearthstone each game would end in the starting player losing because he would get to fatique first).

It's actually the only e-sport i enjoy watching. Wow arenas or fps games just get boring to watch after 5 mins imho.

The luck is what makes card games interesting, otherwise it would just be chess. And chess is fuck-all boring to watch.