Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

How come Asians aren't Republican leaning, yet fit the Repub model?

Saw this article and thought it was interesting. Asians only make up 5% of the US population, yet make up almost 20% of the total students enrolled in Ivy League schools. They make almost $10,000 more then Caucasians on average, have less divorce rates, and many other factors that in theory SHOULD make them vote more Republican, but it's quite the opposite. In the end they are more liberal-leaning and are mostly democrat. How could this be?

http://www.aei.org/publication/why-a...s-republicans/
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2014-11-02 at 02:51 PM.

Deleted
    Maybe because they are smarter then the average voter.

Republicans hate minorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

Obvious answer really. Republicans try to get voters to vote AGAINST their self interest through fearmongering. Asians are too smart for that.

Deleted
    Asians are known to be pretty smart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the states with the largest Asian communities.

Deleted
    Obama mind control.

Higher levels of education correlate with liberalism.

All that education twisted them.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The only thing this really shows me is that Asians are generally better in a lot of the places that matter.

Racial stereotypes aside...

"Asian Values" - Society > Family > Individual

Republican Values - Individual > Family > Society

First off, that data is not particularly conclusive or even necessarily meaningful in my opinion. Democrat and Republican are identifications, not characteristics, so saying you are Democrat or Republican doesn't necessarily mean you believe certain things. Both parties are "big tent" (although the Democratic is getting more and more ideologically homogeneous) and encompass a spectrum. There used to be "blue dog" Democrats, although they are all but extinct, as well as progressive Democrats. There are "West Coast" Republicans as well as conservatives. As for the terms "liberal" and "conservative", these are mindsets that are often conflated with issue positions. Just because someone fits an issue profile does not mean that they possess that mind set. The position may not be salient in their community and they may go along with it despite not feeling strongly.

To answer your question directly, there are several possible explanations. One is that recent immigrants are typically not politically active. They are unfamiliar to the political context so it makes them uninterested political participants. As noted, many Asians "look" like Republicans (whether or not this would translate to Republican votes is another story), but they simply are not active in politics. The second half to this story is their children. Usually the strongest factor in a person's political mindset is their parents, but as we said, immigrants are not politically active. Second and third generation children, therefore, do not receive cues from their parents and instead absorb them from the mainstream culture. The vast majority of media, especially entertainment, is dominated by liberals. Not hard to see where they get their opinions from.

A second reason could be structural. Many Asians lived in urban areas, even if they may be filtering out now, like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and Houston. The Democratic Party has historically had a stronger county based political structure, especially in urban settings. The Republican Party is stronger in suburban areas. I know in Houston I have witnessed several Asian political candidates with strong community ties. The strong political structure of the Democratic Party fit well with the already strong Asian community. Did I think that these candidates were particularly ideological? Not really.

The final considerations are a bit more philosophical: The crux of many Republican positions is that there should be limits on government powers and that sometimes rights trumps strict utility. The Democratic position is often that these are non-factors and that we should do whatever seems expedient at any particular moment. One requires a knowledge of context, history and political philosophy (even if only a rudimentary kind). The other does not. When you consider that these Asian youths are only receiving political direction from the likes of Jon Daly and that virtually no other political party in the world (besides the Tories and LibDems) makes these considerations, it's easy to see why the Republican position might seem incomprehensible to the uninitiated.

As a final note, I hope you found my post interesting enough to embarrass the likes of several other posters in this thread. You'll find that being able to dispassionately examine politics is an invaluable trait, and discovering the truth is much more comforting than simply labeling your ideological enemies evil.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Commence the republican hatefest in 3, 2, 1...

OT: It might have something to do with being fiscally conservative, but socially liberal.
    One side is one, the other side another.
    What do you choose?
    Simple, you choose the Democrats.

Republicans aren't "fiscally conservative", they're "fiscally pants-on-head", as demonstrated by what they're done to Kansas.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    To some extent, but generally the "bourgeois" professions are more Republican while the academic professions are more Democrat. Asians definitely fall in the bourgeois camp for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SpcGuts View Post
    Racial stereotypes aside...

"Asian Values" - Society > Family > Individual

Republican Values - Individual > Family > Society
    Hmm, I found this an interesting paradigm. I don't usually like the fiscal/social divide, but that might be somewhat useful here. On the social side, Republicans are definitely more family oriented. Perhaps you could say that the strong local Democratic structures give them the appearance of being more communal. Democrats, however, are more ideological and their social policies are definitely more individualistic.

I would say that both Democrats and Republicans are individualistic to the extent that they are both Modern. Liberalism (Republicans) and Progressivism (Democrats) are both Modern strains. Republicans, however, have non-Modern influences via religion and a dash of conservatism (if it could be considered an ideology) and the Democrats do not.
    Last edited by Screwtape; 2014-11-02 at 03:40 PM.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

10+ Year Old Account
    White wealth is more often through inheritance and playing the economy, I think. Asian culture is centered more around low-risk, high paying jobs that require a lot of work - doctor, lawyer, scientist, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    First off, that data is not particularly conclusive or even necessarily meaningful in my opinion. Democrat and Republican are identifications, not characteristics, so saying you are Democrat or Republican doesn't necessarily mean you believe certain things. Both parties are "big tent" (although the Democratic is getting more and more ideologically homogeneous) and encompass a spectrum. There used to be "blue dog" Democrats, although they are all but extinct, as well as progressive Democrats. There are "West Coast" Republicans as well as conservatives. As for the terms "liberal" and "conservative", these are mindsets that are often conflated with issue positions. Just because someone fits an issue profile does not mean that they possess that mind set. The position may not be salient in their community and they may go along with it despite not feeling strongly.

To answer your question directly, there are several possible explanations. One is that recent immigrants are typically not politically active. They are unfamiliar to the political context so it makes them uninterested political participants. As noted, many Asians "look" like Republicans (whether or not this would translate to Republican votes is another story), but they simply are not active in politics. The second half to this story is their children. Usually the strongest factor in a person's political mindset is their parents, but as we said, immigrants are not politically active. Second and third generation children, therefore, do not receive cues from their parents and instead absorb them from the mainstream culture. The vast majority of media, especially entertainment, is dominated by liberals. Not hard to see where they get their opinions from.

A second reason could be structural. Many Asians lived in urban areas, even if they may be filtering out now, like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and Houston. The Democratic Party has historically had a stronger county based political structure, especially in urban settings. The Republican Party is stronger in suburban areas. I know in Houston I have witnessed several Asian political candidates with strong community ties. The strong political structure of the Democratic Party fit well with the already strong Asian community. Did I think that these candidates were particularly ideological? Not really.

The final considerations are a bit more philosophical: The crux of many Republican positions is that there should be limits on government powers and that sometimes rights trumps strict utility. The Democratic position is often that these are non-factors and that we should do whatever seems expedient at any particular moment. One requires a knowledge of context, history and political philosophy (even if only a rudimentary kind). The other does not. When you consider that these Asian youths are only receiving political direction from the likes of Jon Daly and that virtually no other political party in the world (besides the Tories and LibDems) makes these considerations, it's easy to see why the Republican position might seem incomprehensible to the uninitiated.

As a final note, I hope you found my post interesting enough to embarrass the likes of several other posters in this thread. You'll find that being able to dispassionately examine politics is an invaluable trait, and discovering the truth is much more comforting than simply labeling your ideological enemies evil.
    Your analysis is just completely out of step with reality. Conservative Democrats dominate the senate, and the conservative New Democrat Coalition has over 50 members in the House. The Republican Party is inarguably more homogenous than the Democratic Party. You have to be completely blinded by ideology to reverse that.

Your analysis of the difference between Republicans and Democrats is a caricature at best, and portraying yourself as being some kind of high minded philosopher while providing such a base, oversimplified narrative is incredibly dishonest and condescending.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    To some extent, but generally the "bourgeois" professions are more Republican while the academic professions are more Democrat. Asians definitely fall in the bourgeois camp for now.
    If by "bourgeois" you mean STEM fields, sure...

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    This is true. Asian Americans also have the highest proportion (~50%) of college graduates than any other race/ethnic group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Simple, you choose the Democrats.

Republicans aren't "fiscally conservative", they're "fiscally pants-on-head", as demonstrated by what they're done to Kansas.
    I'll take Republicans over Democrats anyday, just look at what they did to Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    Republicans hate minorities.
    Simplest answer is the most obvious one...ever seen a tea party rally? Fact is that the extreme fringes of the Republican party alienate minorities....why would they want to be a part of that even if they agree with their fiscal policies?

10+ Year Old Account
    1) the results are skewed in terms of the 5% vs 20% because students actively immigrate for the purpose of education. The "Asians are super smart because numbers said so thing" is nothing but perception bias.
    2) the qualities that you described aren't accurate at all in describing the values that actually encompass the Republican party. The primary divide right now between the parties isn't on economics; it's on social issues. And people who are willing to leave their country and their demographic supermajority to pursue personal goals tend to lean away from conservatism.