Ozone smell coming from my PC, even after replacing the PSU?

Hey guys, just put a Corsair CX600M (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-048-_-Product) into my PC after my old PSU died out. Shortly before my old PSU died out there was a strong ozone smell coming from it and it made my whole room smell like it. I went and got the CX600M and placed it into my PC after work last night, and it had a similar smell right out of the box. Now I still smell that same aroma when I turn on any games or get close to the back of my PC and take a whiff. Is this normal for new PSUs to have this smell for awhile?

Side note: I also used an old PSU from a friend before I got this new one, after the old one died(so in between the two) for a few days until I got paid to get the CX600M, and there was no smell coming from that during the time.
    twitch.tv/algekevin - 10m Warlock, with feral/monk alts!

Deleted
    Unplug everything. Take the PSU back. Check your components for physical damage. get this instead. Run things at base settings to test, if you've overclocked anything.

ozone is actully O3, lightning is also a cause of it. you might have a short somewhere.

Deleted
    A slight odor is normal for a new PSU and shouldn't last more than a few hours, a day tops. It's just dust particles being burnt, nothing to worry about. If the PSU starts smoking, making weird noises and the smell becomes overwhelming, then it's time to shut off the electricity.

Doubtful it's actually the psu, as yelmurc said you very probably have some sort of short. Have to isolate components and see which one is having the issue - I'd pop out the vid card and sniff it first.

Sorry guys just got home. Thanks for all the advice! I'll let it run it's course for a bit longer before I do anything like take it back or take the PC apart again. If the smell persists I'll be back!
    twitch.tv/algekevin - 10m Warlock, with feral/monk alts!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    ozone is actully O3, lightning is also a cause of it. you might have a short somewhere.
    Ozone (O3) is created from oxygen (O2) when either strong ultraviolet light or an electrical discharge hits air. Ultraviolet of the levels required to create ozone doesn't usually happen at ground level, only in the upper atmosphere (barring the presence of catalysts like methane and carbon monoxide), so at ground level (particularly indoors), electrical discharges are pretty much the only thing that can create it. It also has a very distinctive smell, so if you are smelling ozone, there is ozone being produced nearby. It doesn't persist for very long except in the presence of strong UV radiation, it tends to become unstable and break down into regular oxygen again.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-11-03 at 08:54 PM.