Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Homeless piano guy goes viral, gets ripped off

TLDR context: Woman finds a homeless guy stricken with addiction, can barely talk and all but can seemingly play the piano flawlessly. Plays his own composition for her, video goes viral.

Come to find out that this lady is somehow partnered with YouTube, she's easily pulling in $5,000+ for a video with over 3 million views, likely to be much more since articles have only been breaking since yesterday.

Come across this: http://fox6now.com/2014/11/02/haunti...retty-amazing/

The woman apparently has the audacity to claim that she'll spend the partner money as she sees fit, giving it to a social agency to help homeless people.

Here's the issue, she doesn't own the music that she's profiting off of, he does. She has no right to be taking ad money in the first place, let alone deciding it should go to anyone buy the poor guy that she's filming.

Could this guy in theory lawyer up and sue?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by nyjl View Post
    In USA? Easy.
    It's in Canada. The whole "derp derp US lawsuits are ez and stupid" thing is irrelevant anyway considering that the overwhelming majority of first world countries observe copyright law.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Am I the only one who thinks this is a full party scam given he's wearing a wig? That or he has access to some damn fine smoothing shampoo for being homeless.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-11-03 at 10:47 AM.

The idea that you can own music is disgusting
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

If it's his composition, he has copyright. So yes, he could lawyer up.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    If it's his composition, he has copyright. So yes, he could lawyer up.
    I don't know what sort of laws there are but in Finland you are allowed to record everything in public space.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Homeless guy gets ripped off. More shocking news at 11.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    So yes, he could lawyer up.
    Yeah. A homeless drug addict will, of course, "lawyer up".

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I don't know what sort of laws there are but in Finland you are allowed to record everything in public space.
    In the US there are distinct copyrights for the composition and for the recording. For example, if I go pick up my guitar and whack out an improvised song, I have the rights to that combination of notes. If I then go into a studio paid for by a record company and record it, they have rights to that recording (assuming no other agreements).

So there's a fine line in this one. He was performing in a public space. He was also performing at the request of someone recording him. There was no indication he was giving away his composition copyright, or had previously.

Therefore I'm at an... IDK point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Could does not equal will. lol.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Hence the "in theory" part. Lawyers also commonly take cases for free when they know it's a pretty cut and dry win and take their fee from the settlement.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a full party scam given he's wearing a wig? That or he has access to some damn fine smoothing shampoo for being homeless.
    what are you talking about.... his hair looks like any homeless person I have ever seen.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    what are you talking about.... his hair looks like any homeless person I have ever seen.
    Even disregarding his hair, where the fuck did this fully functional piano come from on "on the street"?

Even disregarding his hair, where the fuck did this fully functional piano come from on "on the street"?
    People throw stuff out because they don't want to keep it and can't be arsed to dispose of it in other ways.

What surprised me most is that he wasn't really that amazing at the piano. Was expecting more considering the word "flawlessly" in the OP, but I'm a bit of a music snob, you can probably tell.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    I'm finding it really difficult to remotely care... I imagine the hobo doesn't either

i thought you only have the copyright for something if you file for copyright/trademark/whatever.

maybe im wrong though.

but even so, this shit happens all the time. that homeless guy probably doesnt even know. its her video she can spend the money however she wants. unless someone files a copyright claim.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some group of people decided to randomly place pianos on street, the idea was to give music to public or something.

I found the link: http://www.streetpianos.com/

Reminds me of Skinny Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    The idea that you can own music is disgusting
    What is the alternative for the composer to earn money?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    What is the alternative for the composer to earn money?
    Oh, there isn't a working one in the world as it is set up now. I have... radical... opinions on music (for starters that its not as rare a talent as it's made out to be) I don't mind people getting paid to play music, or even people paying to hear music. But on the other hand suing someone for plagiarism because they used some notes in the same order or rhythm as "your" song... is disgusting.

If you hadn't said "money", I'd have simply answered that "being listened to and enjoyed should be payment enough" but you're right that doesn't put food on the table