Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    I guess we all forgot that mostly happened in the South where Democrats lived.

We still see just how shitty Democratic controlled places are such as Chicago, Washington D.C
    I guess we're going to ignore the fact that democrats and republican platforms both did a 180 to become what they are today.

Please don't talk about this if you are ignorant of our political parties history. Thanks, you may accidentally spread your misinformation then again that's probably what you aim to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Strange that OP would pick on the US, racism is everywhere. Hardly any blacks in Mexico but against dark skin Mexicans and native Americans there is a lot of racism. Countries with little diversity are often the most racist because they never have learned to deal with the issue.

It's never going to be perfect but the US has come a long way even compared to 10 years ago.
    Yes the US is a lot better when it comes to racism than a lot of other countries. For instance it is talked about here and taken way more seriously than in many European countries for instance.

We still see just how shitty Democratic controlled places are such as Chicago, Washington D.C

Democrats at the time= conservatives
    republicans now=conservatives

Republicans didnt become conservatives until democrat LBJ passed the civil rights act, and they used the conservative narrative to gain control of the south since they all hated democrats that day since.

Quote Originally Posted by pucko97 View Post
    The difference from south Africa to America is that the Afro-Americans still haven't gotten over with that their parents grandparent were slaves and keep blaming it on the current generation.
    Segregation continued up into the 70s, and active disenfranchisement inarguably ran up into the 90s. That's being generous and pretending that institutionalized racism doesn't exist today. Acting like the issue ended with slavery is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Strange that OP would pick on the US, racism is everywhere. Hardly any blacks in Mexico but against dark skin Mexicans and native Americans there is a lot of racism. Countries with little diversity are often the most racist because they never have learned to deal with the issue.

It's never going to be perfect but the US has come a long way even compared to 10 years ago.

Theres other threads regarding the subject, seems like hes intentionally trying to start an argumentative thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    It's not privileged people, it's people. Segregation is human nature. Look at high school lunch rooms. No one tells whites to sit with whites and blacks to sit with blacks, and it's not because they're racist, it's just nature. Integration and acceptance of different kinds of people and ideas is a learned behavior, not an inherent one.

That's very different from institutionalized segregation in a civilized democracy. Denying people equal rights is always wrong, no matter their race.
    why is it usually the white 1st world people pushing down minorities though and not varied as much?

And then what happened? The Civil Rights Act passed and racist Democrats were purged from the party. The Nixon administration adopted a strategy of picking up the racist voters that the Democrats were leaving behind (recent Republican leaders have apologized for this after acknowledging it happened). Acting like history stopped in 1960 is very convenient, isn't it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    why is it usually the white 1st world people pushing down minorities though and not varied as much?
    Have you seen how poorer countries deal with minorities? It's a hell of a lot worse than the West does today.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Segregation continued up into the 70s, and active disenfranchisement inarguably ran up into the 90s. That's being generous and pretending that institutionalized racism doesn't exist today. Acting like the issue ended with slavery is delusional.
    Then do what basically every culture has done: Work hard and make yourself free. Work away from the stereotypes and not towards them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Nah, FOX news is a good source of information but everyone has their flaws so they can have some "yellow" material from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Something MAC-adress something
    I dont even use a Mac.. I use a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by pucko97 View Post
    Then do what basically every culture has done: Work hard and make yourself free. Work away from the stereotypes and not towards them.
    It took the Irish and Italians over a half century to do that without anything like the institutionalized discrimination blacks still face today.

I can't believe that african american segrigation lasted until less than 50 years ago in the united states.

Why did it last so long? Where did this Aryannistic mindset come from? Didn't we already learn how bad slavery hurt people? And didn't WW2 teach us how bad oppressing someone could really get, you'd think we'd want to be the better man
    Still going on by the fact you are calling them African American. Do you call all the white folk, English American, or French American, Or spanish American?

No you don't.

Deleted
    So long?! Only 50 years ago it would have been unthinkable in the US to have a black president. I think racism is going down quite fast if things can change so radically in just half a century.

Ahh I think I see what you're getting at. Most whites are inherently racist and other races aren't, right?

The people in power will always try to oppress those with less power. History would have played out the same had anyone else been in power. That's why we as a societies should be aiming for more protection of those with less power, regardless of race.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    So long?! Only 50 years ago it would have been unthinkable in the US to have a black president. I think racism is going down quite fast if things can change so radically in just half a century.
    Only if you don't understand what racism is or how it works. Racists can still vote for a black president.

Only if you don't understand what racism is or how it works. Racists can still vote for a black president.
    Well he's "half good" to some.

Deleted
    Why would a racist vote for a black guy?

Yea, a social change taking 50 years. SO FAST.

Because as far as republicans go many of them are christian and wouldn't want a Mormon, and would prefer a half white president to that.

white +1
    Moron - 1

Half white +.5
    Christian +1

Because racism is not just Nazis and the KKK. Racism is far more insidious. Most people who are racist don't think they are racist. It's not a part of their identity. It's an underlying way they view the world that they take for granted.

Because racism is not just Nazis and the KKK. Racism is far more insidious. Most people who are racist don't think they are racist. It's not a part of their identity. It's an underlying way they view the world that they take for granted.
    The people in my sig don't see how their comments can be racist or prejudice is a good example.

I can't believe that african american segrigation lasted until less than 50 years ago in the united states.
    People didn't think there was anything really wrong with it for the most part. The majority ruling opinion and social custom regarded African-Americans as sub-human.

The Romans thought the same thing too for centuries- that Romans were superior and non-Romans were essentially livestock.

As to why it lasted so long, simple, oppression. As AAs were seen as less than human by some or at best Other, a battery of social, political, educational and economic forces coincided to contribute to the lesser advocacy and empowerment of African-Americans in the United States.

Modernization also had a bit to do with things. From the industrial revolution onward, the institutions of work and living within national economies has made it such that dehumanization is easier to come by. Humans became less connected to their colloquial and local concerns. Industry by it's nature created a strata of economical class that is impressed upon all that live and work in an industrial economy.