Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I agree, OP.

Deleted
    Basically the Old Gods we know are limited to Azeroth, it's their prison. They have no metaphysical hideaway in some ethereal plane, they have Azeroth and nothing else. There seem to be other old gods on other planets but they are different ones, a different nest so to speak.

That said, they seem to be some sort of innate thing of Warcraft's universe. They appear on different planets, like a sort of cosmic counterbalance to the Titans, like the Light seems a cosmic counterbalance to the Legion.

They are not and will never be like Lovecraftian horrors, despite those being the source of inspiration. The simple reason for this is that they are not alone, they have demons, titans and stuff like the naaru to contend with, let alone the eternals (I wonder if Draenor has equivalents to those) and the Void (largely unexplored, has a legion connection but isn't really legion).

I always thought that what we were fighting was just a tiny portion of "Old God" wriggling through into our world. That we, as players, don't actually kill Old Gods because doing so would basically turn Azeroth into Outland - a shattered world. I know that I've read people saying, "Devs said we killed 'em!" but I take that more as the Devs meaning we won't be revisiting that particular Old God any time soon. It took so so so long for the Old Gods to start harassing us on the surface, and start breaking through so blatantly, after being imprisoned that probably it would be a bit silly for them to be able to pop back through and wreak havoc again all over the place. Also, it would turn WoW into World of Old God Marauders and I guess they have more Orc stories to tell. (hehehehe)

So. I'll remain content, believing that none of the Old Gods we've fought have actually been killed. Because yeah, if we killed them, that makes their reputations seem overblown. I could see it working if they were tilting their story telliing a certain way, but they don't seem to have been. So we're taking hammers and pins to Old God toes wherever they break through, and having them start trying to wriggle free again somewhere else.

...really, they've given conflicting responses over the years, so whichever floats your boat.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

I like that its looking that every expnasion is going to be a continuation of the last. That actually makes this game more fun and epic. I'm sure metzen didn't have anything to do with it because it makes sense. Unless of course he plagiarized it from another author like he does just about all his "stories".