New computer- not sure how much to overclock it

Hi everyone,

Kostattoo helped me out with a new system build, but now that I have ordered it my next question is how much to overclock it after it is finally together.

I am a novice overclocker ( this is my first time doing it) and still watching videos etc for info but not sure how much to actually overclock it.

Any info/tips would be appreciated. Below is the system I have bought.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thanks in advance for any help.

Deleted
    Noone can tell you exactly cause it depends how lucky you are with the cpu chip. Each 4690k chip has different pontential, cause... thats the way it is. The majority is usually between 4.2-4.6. You should start with that, speed x42 on all cores say 1.2volts (it should be fine) and test it, if it posts and loads windows then stress test it with Aida64 for a few hours. If no problems then pump the speed up to x43 with same voltage. If it crashes try a little more voltage like 1.22. and so on. There is a lot of trial and error on this, so it needs time to get it right.

Watch some youtube video's it will help/guide you visually on what to look for.

For everyday use a 4.3-4.5 Ghz overclock, provided volts are at under 1.3, is good enough for gaming and no reason to go for more other than benchmarking.

Many modern bioses have an auto overclock function.

It tries to repeatedly increase the clock speed until it fails, and then sets it slightly lower than that. This is a pretty good place to start off to get a feel for how the overclocking method works.

Deleted
    Forgot to mention that you don't need to overclock it as soon as you assemble it. Just check everything works fine at start. Get the games working see how it performs. You might not even need to overclock it now if the performance is enough, you can overclock later when you need it.

Thanks for the reply, I will put it together and test it out first, but good to have a rough idea for when I go to do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's not a question of need. If the system isn't stable before overclocking then you're going to have a shit time overclocking. Always assemble and test before trying to get more than stock performance out of components.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not how bios auto-overclocking works typically(might be true for some rare cases I'm not aware of). If you use auto-overclocking it applies mild overclock settings that should be good for systems that can be overclocked.
    Ahahahaa auto overclock. That is worst shit imaginable. I remember my AMD CPUs overclocking. So i was like hmm what does this auto overclock button do...
    +30% -> not even booting, battery out and reset
    +20% -> hardly got to bios to lower it
    +10% -> instant restart after POST
    +5% -> BSOD during windows boot
    Yeah fuck that .

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/h...ith-statistics

OP, you might be able to use some information from this. Wouldn't hurt to ready some of it.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |