Voters
88. This poll is closed
  • Yes

19 21.59%
  • No

69 78.41%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Lightbulb Should people be strong-armed into accepting a certain point of view?

I mean, do you think it's right for someone to be humiliated and chastised for thinking a certain way? Why or why not?

(I'm not talking about things like murder, or pedophilia, or rape.)

Deleted
    No, it's not right. Others should not dictate what someone else think, let people form and have their own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Over View Post
    No, it's not right. Others should not dictate what someone else think, let people form and have their own opinions.
    What if it's apparent it would have a positive effect on society?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dwarf View Post
    Positive effect in what manner? And for which people in society? Who benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Game Over View Post
    Positive effect in what manner? And for which people in society? Who benefits?
    Just a positive effect that will benefit a majority of people in a certain society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who decides that is a positive effect? Perspective matters.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Who decides that is a positive effect?
    The majority.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is this a question? Of course not.

10+ Year Old Account
    The majority.
    Don't be ludicrous, the majority might vote someone into office but from there on its the 1% controlling the majority.

With that said, someone having a different opinion on how things should be run shouldn't give you the right to silence them, which "strong-armed" no doubt refers to, that leads down a path of dictatorship and fascism.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-11-04 at 11:19 AM.

Deleted
    Just a positive effect that will benefit a majority of people in a certain society.
    Why should it be someones right to dictate how or what people think?

No i dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Don't be ludicrous, the majority might vote someone into office but from there on its the 1% controlling the majority.
    This isn't really about politics, just society's opinions on things. It doesn't have to be our society. Maybe I didn't phrase it too well. I mean to say, do you think it's right for a minority group (not necessarily race) to be ostracized, shunned, or even assaulted by a larger group who has a different viewpoint? And, do you think it's possible to stop this from happening?

No, but people with inherently bad opinions will in any progressive society get called on their bullshit and humiliate themselves when they defend their bad opinion. It's a natural side-effect of saying dumb and horrible things out loud.

Deleted
    No. You can't say "well, the majority want this so we'll do it".

Aside from the fact that with good marketing / propaganda it's pretty simple to influence large numbers of people into thinking something is in their best interests, so long as you have enough money... Like, culling 49% of the population and giving all their money to the other 51% could be seen as beneficial for the majority, or other ridiculous things like that.

The negative effects of your actions directly diminish from the positive ones.

If you can do something that benefits people while negatively affecting no one, that's always good. If you kill 49 people to make 51 people better off, you're making things considerably worse for 49 people (a minority) to make things slightly better off for 51 people (a majority) so the net effect is negative.

15+ Year Old Account
    This isn't really about politics, just society's opinions on things. It doesn't have to be our society. Maybe I didn't phrase it too well. I mean to say, do you think it's right for a minority group (not necessarily race) to be ostracized, shunned, or even assaulted by a larger group who has a different viewpoint? And, do you think it's possible to stop this from happening?
    Assaulted? No. Ostracized or shunned? That's up to any individual to decide.

People are free to have whatever opinion they want and should not have to fear violence or prosecution, but they also cannot force others to accept them for it. If I wanted to deny the holocaust, I think it's atrocious that some countries would throw me in jail, it's one of the most fucked up laws in the 1st world atm. However, just as I am (or should be) free to deny it, others are free to disprove of my opinion and refuse contact with me if they wish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Political violence is never ok despite a minority having a differing opinion, but if that's the viewpoint you are pushing there's not much point to wasting time arguing here.

What you are speaking about kind of is about politics despite you denying it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    No, but yes.
    First of all, what's an example of an "inherently bad opinion?". What you just said implies that you think there is some "inherent" code of morals that goes along with our universe, just like our physical laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The ends never justify the means. It starts with forcing people to accept your point of view, then you're committing atrocities against those that won't accept your point of view. You either end up like ISIS, or a particular 20th century European Dictator.

Obviously most of us would answer no, but this is something that happens on a constant basis all around the world. Why would we deny that it's a good thing when we do it so much to many different groups? What if "ganging up" on a smaller group is just a way of allowing a society to get ahead?

I mean, do you think it's right for someone to be humiliated and chastised for thinking a certain way? Why or why not?
    Depends what you're talking about. If you tell me the universe is 6000 years old, you're about to get verbally pushed through a wall. Period.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.