Thread: G3258 oc

Deleted

G3258 oc

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has experience with the pentium anniversary oc for WoW and is it worth using as a secondary unit for my kid with a R7 260x for at least high in most things, thanks

Deleted
    Its a good overclocking chip, without much hassle many report getting 4.5Ghz easily. But you need a Z97 and an aftermarket cooler. So depending on location this might come about the same price to a i3 4160+h97 board. Either of those 2 will play most recent games fine. Your problem will be the old gpu you have there. So high settings on most things is out of the question unless its old games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Its a good overclocking chip, without much hassle many report getting 4.5Ghz easily. But you need a Z97 and an aftermarket cooler.
    There is no need for a Z97 board for the G3258. Simple H81/85 boards are sufficient, not all of them tho.

Just check this tread for some ideas.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    There is no need for a Z97 board for the G3258. Simple H81/85 boards are sufficient, not all of them tho.

Just check this tread for some ideas.
    Some boards are capable with a BIOS update, but that's not even all of them. Z97 works and overclocks straight out the box which is why it's recommended. Some people just simply aren't comfortable with updating BIOS either due to the risk of bricking them.

Z97 is just the safe and easy route where you can't really go wrong.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Some boards are capable with a BIOS update, but that's not even all of them.
    Some do it out of the box, hence I linked to the forum. I agree tho, a Z97 is the easiest way. But it might be better to just get an I3 + B85/H97 mobo.

I dont think getting a dual core is the best idea at the moment. At least the i3 has HT going for it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Some do it out of the box, hence I linked to the forum. I agree tho, a Z97 is the easiest way. But it might be better to just get an I3 + B85/H97 mobo.

I dont think getting a dual core is the best idea at the moment. At least the i3 has HT going for it.
    For gaming only purposes, that pentium OC'd offers similar performance to aa 4690k/4790k. The i3's can't be overclocked so what you get is what you get. Each have pros and cons.

And nothing in that thread suggests that those boards can overclock it right out the box. Most of those boards I know for a fact need updates so I wouldn't be a bad idea to assume all need to. I don't even believe the boards will boot that particular CPU without the update, which in case you'd need a chip separately just to update it.

Best advice: Confirm that the particular model can indeed overclock the Pentium WITHOUT a BIOS update before assuming and making a bad purchase.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |