Deleted

Red build and Blue build, EU

Hello !

I present to you two little builds, one red and one blue.
    I wanted to know if if you had any thoughts, and if it's any good ?

Red build:

Intel Core i7-4790K Boxed
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
    Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD
    WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper (Window)
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth for Desktop
    Asus VG248QE Zwart
    Corsair Hydro Series H60
    CM Storm QuickFire TK (Red switch)
    Asus Republic Of Gamers GX950
    Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R
    Lite-On iHAS324 Zwart
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
    Crucial MX100 256GB

Totaal € 1.870,91

Blue build:

Intel Core i7-4790K Boxed
    MSI Z97S SLI PLUS
    Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD
    WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth for Desktop
    Asus VG248QE Zwart
    Corsair Hydro Series H60
    CM Storm QuickFire TK (Red switch)
    Asus Republic Of Gamers GX950
    G.Skill RipjawsX F3-1866C9D-16GXM
    Lite-On iHAS324 Zwart
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
    Crucial MX100 256GB

Totaal € 1.827,82

Deleted
    Both are fine, but for the price and specs i would get a better quality power supply. Also 750w is way too much, 550w is more than enough for those builds even counting overclocks with those watts. Can't tell if the prices are ok cause you didn't mention were you are located or the shops you are buying from. I would pick the 1st setup if i had to choose for the gigabyte mobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    OCD in me says don't get VG248QE but don't know what you have access to for recommendation.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-11-05 at 07:58 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Both are fine, but for the price and specs i would get a better quality power supply. Also 750w is way too much, 550w is more than enough for those builds even counting overclocks with those watts. Can't tell if the prices are ok cause you didn't mention were you are located or the shops you are buying from. I would pick the 1st setup if i had to choose for the gigabyte mobo.
    I'd like to keep the space open for an upgrade to 970 SLI, thus the 750w, otherwise I definitely agree, 550 to 600w is perfect for single card set-up.

The prices come from the Netherlands, on an online PC comparing website. Tweakers

I have just noticed that Gigabyte's motherboard does not support Sata-Express? Which feels like a huge drawback.... Any thoughts?
    Aswell it doesn't seem to be very optimal for SLI configurations as it has only one PCI-E x16 slot. The other ones actually run at x8...

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    OCD in me says don't get VG248QE but don't know what you have access to for recommendation.
    I've heared about brightness issues which could potentially lead to horrific head-aches. An alternative would be the BenQ XL2411Z Black at around the same price.
    Last edited by mmoc166f33c366; 2014-11-05 at 11:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JulienB View Post
    I'd like to keep the space open for an upgrade to 970 SLI, thus the 750w, otherwise I definitely agree, 550 to 600w is perfect for single card set-up.
    SLI 980 only draws 446 watts (total system) or there about. You will be fine with a 550 for 2x 970. But if you want to be safe a 650 is the max I would get for SLI 970.

As for SLI on z97, if you have a SLI capable board both cards will run a 8x/8x. But that has no impact on performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heared about brightness issues which could potentially lead to horrific head-aches. An alternative would be the BenQ XL2411Z Black at around the same price.
    Well it's a low Hz PWM so yes it can lead to headaches depending on the person.

If you really want a high Hz TN, I'd look BenQ XL2420Z or LG 24GM77-B. Otherwise I'd look at Dell U2414H, P2414H or Eizo FS2434

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    SLI 980 only draws 446 watts (total system) or there about. You will be fine with a 550 for 2x 970. But if you want to be safe a 650 is the max I would get for SLI 970.

As for SLI on z97, if you have a SLI capable board both cards will run a 8x/8x. But that has no impact on performance.
    Interesting to know, I think I'll change both psu's for Corsair's RM650 then. Hoping that is a psu I can trust my valuable components with?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well it's a low Hz PWM so yes it can lead to headaches depending on the person.

If you really want a high Hz TN, I'd look BenQ XL2420Z or LG 24GM77-B. Otherwise I'd look at Dell U2414H, P2414H or Eizo FS2434
    May I ask what the difference is between the ones I mentioned, ( including BenQ XL2411Z ) and the ones you're pointing out to me?
    There's an 80 euros price difference, and looking at the specs they all seem somewhat similar, if it isn't for the consumption.

Deleted
    Interesting to know, I think I'll change both psu's for Corsair's RM650 then. Hoping that is a psu I can trust my valuable components with?
    I think the RM series uses some low quality components. I would go for something from seasonic or XFX. Or maybe this one

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for the tips and suggestions!
    I'm considering your suggestion change in psu. Out of the three only the Seasonic G-Serie 650 Watt sounds attractive for it's partial modularity...
    With some good cable management I should be able to make it look neat though.

It's not always practical to have a heap of cables inside a rig... Nor very esthetical

10+ Year Old Account
    May I ask what the difference is between the ones I mentioned, ( including BenQ XL2411Z ) and the ones you're pointing out to me?
    There's an 80 euros price difference, and looking at the specs they all seem somewhat similar, if it isn't for the consumption.
    XL2420Z is essentially an updated XL2411Z. It's about as simple as that for the model comparison.
    LG24GM77 has a different motion blur reduction similar to FG2421's 240Hz boost. It's a strobe backlight with the addition of replicating frames and displaying at 240Hz.
    They're both using TN panels. TN being a type of LCD TFT panel.

The latter mentioned are IPS models. All of em have better default set ups than the aforementioned but they're 60Hz as opposed to 120 or 144Hz. They're all PWM free.
    XL2420Z review is on pcmonitors.info and LG24GM77 is on prad.de. Prad I just looked at the pretty pictures.

FS2434 review is on prad.de and U2414H and P2414H are on tftcentral.co.uk

I'm way too lazy atm to link stuff, wheeee.