Poll: Professions for WoD

Returning and a bit overwhelmed with profession changes. BS/Mining

Hi all,

I took at least 3 years break from wow and am now returning and am excited for the new xpac. Yes, seriously, I am
    I'm having a very hard time to decide if I want to keep BS or drop it for either Herbalism, Engi or Alchemy.
    I wouldn't hesitate if I hadn't just invested lots of gold to get BS to 600 and you can believe me when I'm saying I'm broke after taking a 3 year break.

So the crafted BS gear.. how long would it take to craft one piece considering all cooldowns on mats and such? And how helpful would the crafted gear be?
    Any BoP that might make BS worth to keep? Any other items that would make BS worth keeping?

Now to Engi...anything else other than the famous glider and boots that would make it worth switching to Engi? Anything BoP or could I buy most of it from the AH? I for myself don't really see the point in having a profession solely for two items.

And last but not least... why wouldn't I just have mining/herbalism on my main and Alchy/Engi on one of my alts? Again the question, is there any BoP crafted items that would make having Engi or Alchy on an alt useless?

Want to get it up to 600, whichever profession I'll go with, eventually.

1000 thanks!

***EDIT***

Okay... after reading through the wowhead guides, I definitely will be dropping BS. Question now is.. herb/alchy or herb/mining...
    Last edited by lyko; 2014-11-05 at 06:17 AM.

I can't give any estimates on how long crafted epics take. I do know that they can all be upgraded twice and that the base item and the upgrade items are not BoP.

I wouldn't bother with relearning professions. There's very little reason to swap around professions, nearly everything can be sold and traded. Outside of pre-WoD items, these are the only items that are tied to a profession (that I know of) and can't be used without the profession:
    - 620 Alchemy trinket
    - Blingtron 5000 (though you can still use ones placed by others)
    - Wormhole Centrifuge (Engineering, 4hr portal)
    - Creeping Carpet (Tailoring)
    - Riding Harness (Leatherworking mount)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    I can't give any estimates on how long crafted epics take. I do know that they can all be upgraded twice and that the base item and the upgrade items are not BoP.

I wouldn't bother with relearning professions. There's very little reason to swap around professions, nearly everything can be sold and traded. Outside of pre-WoD items, these are the only items that are tied to a profession (that I know of) and can't be used without the profession:
    - 620 Alchemy trinket
    - Blingtron 5000 (though you can still use ones placed by others)
    - Wormhole Centrifuge (Engineering, 4hr portal)
    - Creeping Carpet (Tailoring)
    - Riding Harness (Leatherworking mount)
    Engineering goggles too.

Ultimately, here's how BS/Mining work in a nutshell.

BS -> Makes bars on a daily cooldown (think MoP bar CD's) with quantity increasing based on skill (to a max of 10 bars per day). Daily bars used to make WoD craftables. Players seem to be able to only use 3 crafted items at a time.
    Mining -> pulls rocks out of the ground. Full stop. Smelting dosen't happen with new bars, and JC's, Engineers, and Blacksmiths use ore as-is in WoD.

Virtually every production tradeskill has a "Daily CD" they need to produce the core crafting mat for a given profession. You're going from cranking out 100 useless items over the course of levelling to cranking out 5 useful items.

This Daily CD can be supplemented through the corresponding garrison building. Setting a blacksmith up in your garrison will let you craft an additional bar every 4 hours (real time, but with a queue who's size depends on the level of the building. level 2 is 14 work orders, or 3.5 days.)

Your average item takes 100 bars(or cloth or leather) so 10 days at max level, or 6.5 days with garrison blacksmith(or other relevant tradeskill building) doing it's thing too.

EVERY Garrison will produce Ore/Herbs. If you have mining, you can collect additional ore. If you have herbalism, you can collect additional herbs.

EVERY Production tradeskill can produce sorcerous elements, which are somewhat analog to Motes or Eternal Elements. They are produce exclusively by specific tradeskils as a byproduct, which can be sold or traded to fuel further production. Example, Blacksmiths produce earth and fire, and Alchemists produce Water and Fire. An alchemist might need Air to finish his craft, which can be made with JC/engineering/etc. the Engineer might need earth which can be produced by a blacksmith, and so on.

hi all,

a few more questions as I'm closing in on my decision.

Any drawbacks of having mining/herb on my main and alchy/inscr on my alt? My understanding is, and I might be wrong, that there are no BoP items that would reason to have craft profession such as BS and Alchy on my main, when I can just gather mats with my main and send it to my alt for crafting. Is this correct or would I be better off having an actual craft profession on my main?

If that indeed is so, I'll probably go with herb/mining on my main and alchy/inscription on my alt.

..With the insane long cooldowns for mats and such, I just don't see BS being an option.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by lyko; 2014-11-08 at 11:41 PM.