10+ Year Old Account

UEFI Bios showing up on wrong display Nvidia

Hello again MMO Champ computer forums! I just hooked up my new 970 Gigabyte G1 gaming video card and it is great so far. I am just having a few little quirks.

I have a ASUS maximus VI Hero motherboard. I have 2 displays. My monitor is hooked up to the DVI-D port on the card and my TV is hooked up to the HDMI port on the card. My monitor is set as my default monitor in windows and is identified and #2. My TV is identified as #1 but is not set as the default display.

When I boot the PC up, the TV will be used as the display until the windows loading screen (Windows 7 64-bit) comes up then it will switch to the monitor. If I go into the UEFI Bios it will stay on my TV.

Is there any way to make the bios show up on my monitor and not have to turn on my TV every time I need to enter Bios?

This did not happen on any of my AMD cards with the same exact setup and configuration. The most recent being a R9 290.

Thank you for talking the time to read. Let me know if you need more info.

P.S. - Is there any way to set profiles and hotkeys to change between display settings (like increased gamma, brightness, etc.) with Nvidia control panel like there is on AMD control panel? If not I think I will really miss that feature =(.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short of hacking the firmware I'd say your only options are unplug the tv or buy a hdmi switch that can be powered off to simulate pulling the cable.
    I'm not sure if such a hdmi switch exists that powers off but you could get something like this to add that functionality.

Though honestly how often do you go in the uefi to justify buying all that crap?
    Last edited by lockblock; 2014-11-05 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. That is annoying. I switched to Nvidia hoping to gain convenience with shadowplay... But it seems it would have just been more convenient to continue to use OBS and not have to deal with these 2 little annoyances.

It's odd how AMD cards solve the problem just fine... Score one for the red team I guess?

Thanks for the response.

Deleted
    right click on desktop and go display settings, set primary and secondary monitor??

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I didn't make it very clear. When I said that my monitor was my default I meant primary. It doesn't make a difference.

Card has two DVI, try switching your DVI connection to the other port.

Some TVs also have a setting where they tell the source device they're primary output. Check your TV menus for anything related to HDMI sync, communication, etc. and try disabling that if switching DVI ports doesn't work.

Final option is to get some dongles up in this bitch.

Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2014-11-05 at 11:27 AM.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Weird, on my card the order of priority goes DVI > Displayport > HDMI (or maybe DP > HDMI?), which is annoying to me because my main monitor is DisplayPort. Yea I would definitely confirm whether or not your monitor is plugged into the top DVI port or the bottom.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    The DVI ports are not top and bottom they are left and right. I have it plugged into the DVI-D dual link port. I believe that the other one is a lower performance port? I guess I will try the other one when I get home. I will also check my TV's settings. Thank you for the suggestions.

The DVI-D dual link port only provides higher resolutions if you are using a 1440p or better monitor. If your monitor is 1080p you can use the DVI single port.