Poll: Should candidates be allowed to fund their own campaigns with personal money?

10+ Year Old Account

Should political candidates be able to fund their own campaigns?

The Governor's race in Illinois pitted a rich businessman with no political experience against the incumbant. The winner (Rauner) put in almost $30 million of his own money into the race -- which is almost how much the loser (Quinn) raised in total. Given how close the race was (only 4% separated winner and loser) it is very likely that cash infusion in his campaign is what won him the race.

So...in essence, you had a rich politician essentially buy a governorship.

I don't want this to be about Dem or Rep, or just US focused. I think it's really just a fundamental question about campaigns...

The question is:

Should candidates for office be allowed to contribute their own personal money to their war chests?

My opinion:

No. It starts breaking the democratic process when someone floods a campaign with their own money. No one should be comfortable with a scenario where someone can buy a public office. People should be able to raise money on the merits of their stances and use that money to campaign with. They can use their own "resources" by hosting townhalls, debates, and stumping at locations. But not flooding their campaigns with cash. Plus this allowed a wider range of people to run for office. This whole "you have to be a millionaire to run for office" situation we have is just awful.

Curious what others think. Once again, please keep the partisan bashing to the other thread! This has nothing to do with political party or even country.

So in your opinion, a person that did well for himself shouldn't GAMBLE his own money to fund his own campaign. But it is alright for someone to ask $3k(or more) a plate of other people's money, special interest groups to fund someone's campaign?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by americandavey View Post
    So in your opinion, a person that did well for himself shouldn't GAMBLE his own money to fund his own campaign. But it is alright for someone to ask $3k(or more) a plate of other people's money, special interest groups to fund someone's campaign?
    Essentially correct. A candidate is relying on the people to get elected. It makes sense that he should then rely on people for the funding of his campaign.

Otherwise you have a system where only the rich can run -- and if you are in the top tier, you essentially can just buy your office.

I fail to see why people would think that's a desirable thing.

You can brag about your success and business accomplishments all you want. You just can't use that success to buy your way into office.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is that campaign financing should be standardized. If you want to contribute to the political system, you donate into the central fund. That central fund is then divided out equally to each candidate in the race. No other money is allowed to be used. PACs cannot exist. Any use of funds or resources to campaign for a candidate is considered bribery if not outright election fraud, and punished harshly (prison time/punitive fines/etc, so rich people can't just wave off the penalty).

Money is a corrupting influence in politics, pretty much regardless of the origin.

For those of you thinking "but I don't want my money to go to those OTHER guys, I just want my money to go to the guy who represents my interests", that is exactly what I mean by a corrupting influence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel politicians should only be allowed to use their own money. Get rid of "donations". They end up just being bribes in the end.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Essentially correct. A candidate is relying on the people to get elected. It makes sense that he should then rely on people for the funding of his campaign.

Otherwise you have a system where only the rich can run -- and if you are in the top tier, you essentially can just buy your office.

I fail to see why people would think that's a desirable thing.

You can brag about your success and business accomplishments all you want. You just can't use that success to buy your way into office.
    Well do you have proof that the majority of the time when a rich candidate has run for an office they have won? You're bringing up one instance. I mean I do kinda agree with you without looking up the facts. However, if it turns out that being rich doesn't help you out, then I will disagree obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    People respond to money. Many have tried to campaign without money and the vast majority have failed, no matter their platform or message. Politics is brutal and voters have to remember that they are part of the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    Well do you have proof that the majority of the time when a rich candidate has run for an office they have won?
    I think it's not a stretch of the imagination given all of the research out there about how easily influenced people are with political ads that money buys votes. It's not going to make up a 20% gap, that's for sure, but it just seems painfully obvious that in a tight race often times the deciding factor is who spent more.

It's a combo of psycho 101 and historic patterns in elections.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    My opinion is that campaign financing should be standardized.
    I agree. Every candidate should have the same war chest, no more and no less. However that's going above and beyond my question, but would still be an interesting one to put out there. I'm not sure what a good counterargument to the standardization of campaign financing would be....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I feel politicians should only be allowed to use their own money.
    So...you only think rich people should hold office?

I think having personal funds is just another resource of yours to get a leg over the opponent.

I think it becomes a problem if someone spams a smear campaign ad that the opponent really doesn't have the funds to refute/explain, but ultimately that's because there are idiot voters who accept what a commercial on TV says so...that's kind of the voters fault.

Constantly spending money to get your name out there and give out free T Shirts and stuff is fine though.

Yes, use anything you want to to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they should ONLY be able to use public funds. These funds would be generated via tax returns, where every citizen registered to vote gets say 20$ to allocate to any one or more politicians they choose.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    My opinion is that campaign financing should be standardized. If you want to contribute to the political system, you donate into the central fund. That central fund is then divided out equally to each candidate in the race. No other money is allowed to be used. PACs cannot exist. Any use of funds or resources to campaign for a candidate is considered bribery if not outright election fraud, and punished harshly (prison time/punitive fines/etc, so rich people can't just wave off the penalty).

Money is a corrupting influence in politics, pretty much regardless of the origin.

For those of you thinking "but I don't want my money to go to those OTHER guys, I just want my money to go to the guy who represents my interests", that is exactly what I mean by a corrupting influence.
    So how do you deal with press coverage? If CNN decides to spend 20 hours airtime talking about candidate A, but only 5 minutes airtime talking about candidate B, does that airtime (which has a cost) count as a political donation? What if the news organization speaks highly about one candidate and poorly about the other? What if the news organization has a clear and obvious bias? What if the news organization is owned by groups with clear political interests?

It seems to me that as long as it costs money to deliver a message, and as long as we want our press to be free, there's going to be money involved in politics.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Neither. They should get a base of 1m-5m dollars from tax payers and nothing more. No donations or anything.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think all campaigns should be publicly funded only. There should be a fund that is built up in the state via tax, and that money evenly split between the parties running.

Cannot use your own money, cannot get money from corporations. All money comes from the local government and collaboration from the respective party orgs. (DNC/RNC, etc)
    This, Wolf Pac!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I don't think so, I like Endus's idea. That way all the bullshit we see on TV and in ads would be more foucsed on wtf they planned on doing rather then discrediting their opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Where's the "No, and neither should they be allowed to receive donations." option?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. They should draw it from a public fund instead - no donations, no self funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it's solely his money, I don't give a shit because I figure it's better then corporate backers.

10+ Year Old Account
    The blatant amount of money being spent on campaigns these days, on both sides, is sickening. That money could actually go to something good
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if this pertains to topic at hand, but here in my country there's something which i find to be wrong

Take a general election aka electing the party which will govern the country, but this applies to all parties that run on the election. Each vote they get means they receive 2 or 3 euros for it. Multiply that by a few million and you got quite the sum.

Personally, i find that ridiculous and reckon that a party should find their own ways of obtaining funding.