Thread: Disc - BT + PI

Deleted

Disc - BT + PI

I did some napkin maths to see if PI could be useful for disc spec.

Results :

At 0% haste with PI :
    Popping Pw:S right before PI + Archangel allows the following rotation :
    - PoH*4 --> Pw:S --> PoH*4 --> Pw:S --> PoH*4 ;
    - This rotation consumes 72% of your total mana without T17 bonus.

At 0% haste without PI :
    Popping Pw:S right before Archangel allows the following rotation :
    - PoH*3 --> Pw:S --> PoH*3 --> Pw:S --> PoH*3 ;
    - This rotation consumes 68.7% of your total mana without T17 bonus.

Conclusions :

every 2mins, you can squeeze 3 extra PoH during Archangel when using PI for almost the same mana cost. I don't know how much of a throughput increase this is, maybe someone who knows what he's (she's) doing can help here.

Not sure at all about that part :
    During a BT lenght window, you can squeeze 4 PoH instead of 3 That's an actual 33.333...% increase in throughput for that window. Does it make a 33% effective throughput increase for the whole 18s secs Archangel duration ?

This rotation is extremely mana intensive and will most likely leave you OoM and useless during the next minute.

Still, if the throughput increase is significant, I think it could be a niche talent for burn phases where you'll need to have a lot of throughput for a duration of 18secs or so.

I'll leave my math here if someone wants to check if my calculations are correct.

Maths :

PI :

1.05 * 1.25 * 1.4 = 1.8375.
    Raidbuff + PI + BT is a 83.75% haste increase during 6 secs.

At 83.75% haste, PoH cast time is reduced to : 2.5/1.8375 = 1.36 secs.

After that, BT wears off and you have to cast Pw:S again. With PI, Pw:S GCD is reduced to 1.5/(1.05*1.25) = 1.13 secs.

PoH*4 --> Pw:S --> PoH*4 --> Pw:S --> PoH*4 = 5.44s + 1.13s + 5.44s + 1.13s + 5.44s = 18.58s.

The last PoH cast begins at 17.23secs.

Without PI :

1.05 * 1.4 = 1.47.
    Raidbuff + BT is a 47% haste increase during 6 secs.

At 47% haste, PoH cast time is reduced to : 2.5/1.47 = 1.7 secs.

Pw:S GCD is reduced to 1.5/1.05 = 1.43 secs.

PoH*3 --> Pw:S --> PoH*3 --> Pw:S --> PoH*3 = 5.1 + 1.43 + 5.1 + 1.43 + 5.1 = 18.16 secs ;

Mana costs :

20% reduc of 7.1% base mana is 5.68% for a cast of PoH.
    20% reduc of 2.4% base mana is 1.92% for a cast of Pw:S.

So, what do you think about PI ?

Borrowed Time isn't a flat Haste multiplier like the raid buff or Bloodlust/Heroism; it only temporarily increases the amount of Haste rating you have. So if you have 'h' Haste rating, then your Haste H with Borrowed Time active (at level 100) is, as a decimal, H = 1.4h/10000. So when you're including PI or similar effects with Borrowed Time active, your total Haste is,

H = (1 + 1.4h/10000)*1.05*[PI]*[BL/Hero]*etc - 1

So in the scenarios where you're looking at someone with 0 Haste rating, Borrowed Time has exactly zero effect. Because of this, the above rotations would be altered to simply be PoH spam for maximum output, and you could get 7.56 (7) in during the Archangel buff without PI, and 9.45 (9) in with PI.

Deleted
    Damnit ! Here goes my napkin math...
    Thanks for the clarifications tho !

Thanks for being so polite, but I know I'm the devil incarnate :P You've produced a good set of analysis, even if the pesky details of BT throw things off a bit.

It's also good because you've raised an important question: What do we think about PI?

I don't really know myself, but it's an ability that provides a strong, controllable burst of output with a mana reduction that offsets the increased mana consumption due to the increase in Haste. While it does sit on the same tier as Twist of Fate and Spirit Shell, it's conceivable that there will be situations where it will have its uses, and it's worth considering what these situations and/or uses may be.
    Last edited by Myllior; 2014-11-07 at 09:53 AM.

What do you mean useful? It's already useful since they nerfed Atonement and Twist of Fate. It's either Power Infusion or Spirit Shell depending on the fight. Twist of Fate is too situational now.