Deleted

Coincidence / Destiny / Fate

This was prompted by another thread but I'd be curious to know if other people have some good random chance stories.

My story:

When I lived with my parents I had a phone in my room (back in the days of dial up the last thing you wanted was someone picking up the phone on a shared line!) when I moved out they obviously cancelled the line and that was that.

Years later I'm dating a women who's in the process of moving across town, she gets a place and signs up with the local cable company for TV, internet and phone.

When they send her through all the paperwork including her new phone number they've given her the old phone number from my room.

While she leans towards fate, I think it's more of an amazing coincidence and a cute little story.

Swear this is 100% true, even though you are reading this on the internet

So does anyone else have any good stories about some crazy luck / coincidence (or fate if you're that way inclined) that you've had?

Deleted
    Overhyped, mediocre shooter if you ask me.

That's a cool story. It would make an odd/nonsensical play of fate, though. You are destined to ...

... have the same phone number the guy you're dating used to have. Oh well. That's epochal.

Perhaps it's a sign. Something to the effect of "same number? Run like hell, the relationship is gonna be a desaster!" Or "he's your lost brother you never knew of" ...

Cool story, but a coincidence nonetheless. People tend to see all kinds of connections and "signs" when romance is involved.

The only reason there are coincidents is because of the strong human ability to see connections. You see tracks in the mud you connect that to a dear you're tracking.

You get the same phone number twice, it must mean something. There's a connection. But in the case of identical phone numbers it doesn't mean anything.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    RNG at its finest.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    While she leans towards fate, I think it's more of an amazing coincidence and a cute little story.
    Now that's cleared up, I'm more interested in other peoples stories of weird happenings / coincidence.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty cool.

I guess biggest coincidence I can remember is meeting a girl at a festival in southern Norway on my 20 birthday. Her group of friends and my group of friends joined up after sharing a table and a few beers, and we ended up hanging out for the rest of the festival and fooled around a bit, The only thing I remembered about her was that she had a weird and hilarious laugh.

Three years later a friend of mine who was serving way up North brings his new girlfriend back to our hometown for new years eve to introduce her. Like one hour in, my friends new girlfriend suddenly starts laughing, and I instantly recognize it. I look at her in a bit of a shock and she must have finally recognized me as well, because she immediately stopped laughing. We told my friend (her bf) that we've met before at the concert, and since he had heard I met a girl there he put 2 and 2 together.

Was pretty awkward for a while, until the alcohol kicked in.

"A coincidence is what you have left over when you apply a bad theory." - P. D. Bridgeman

Deleted
    My general rule:

If it's good for me: Destiny!
    If it's bad for me: Fate =(
    If it's neither good nor bad: just a coincidence :P

My story: When I was younger, my (analog) watch stopped working for ~1h before resuming it's work as if nothing had happened. When I came home, I was told one of our puppies had been stung by a bee and died =(

Deleted
    Humans are adept at seeing patterns and correlations even when there are none. E.g that cloud looks like a penis.