Destiny developer startled awake by police, sheriff's helicopter after faked 911 call

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/7/717...stiny-swatting
    olice officers and a sheriff's helicopter descended upon a Bungie executive's home early Thursday morning in Sammamish, Washington, after a faked 911 call led them to believe there were hostages inside and explosives in the yard, KOMO News reports.

"The caller said he had an assault rifle and he had placed explosives in the yard and he was holding a family hostage," Nathan Elledge, chief of police at the Sammamish Police Department, told the television station. "He wanted $20,000 to release the family."

The 4 a.m. response lasted about 45 minutes before law enforcement was able to determine that the call was fake. The home belongs to an unnamed "high-up executive" at Bungie, developer of Destiny. Detectives later figured out that the original call didn't come from the home but was instead made by a computer.

A sheriff's deputy said that while they were able to determine no one was in the house holding the family hostage, they haven't yet figured out where the call came from. If caught, the caller faces up to a year in jail and $5,000 fine.

"This is not a game. This is a very serious response that could've had serious consequences and we're just fortunate that didn't happen this time," Elledge told the television station. "It puts officers' lives at risk when you respond to something this serious. It puts the citizens' lives at risk."
    Why in the hell would someone do this. These types of trolls need to come to a end. The shit isn't funny and they put real lives at risk when they do something like this.

I know I don't add much to the topic at hand but its fucken annoying to see shit like this all because someone may not like the person or the game they made.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it both hilarious, and extremely upsetting, that in this day and age we still can't find out where a call came from easily, using government supplied resources.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    I'm honestly pretty surprised no one has gotten killed or seriously injured by one of these pranks..
    Several people have been injured, arrested, and I think even a few killed.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Teens and Tweens are, generally speaking, fucking stupid. /thread
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

I think a $5,000 fine is pretty generous, considering the cost to taxpayers to mobilize a raid (and the potential opportunity cost in actual crime prevention).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    I think a $5,000 fine is pretty generous, considering the cost to taxpayers to mobilize a raid (and the potential opportunity cost in actual crime prevention).
    Way too low. Making a false police call with malicious intent should be a felony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    20 years in jail minimum should be what the caller faces.

A year and $5000? Is this a joke? They literally spent thousands on that raid and who knows how many people had their lives at risk. This is a serious offense and should carry a fine for the entire expenditure of the police and jail time equivalent to manslaughter.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    the first thought is: why mobilize (from the sounds of it) an entire army on a phone call?

no one thought to check where the call came from first?
    then it wasnt investigated with eyes on the ground of what or who was physically onsite?

you could have avoided this all with someone from law enforcement calling the location to confirm their demands or requirements.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    the first thought is: why mobilize (from the sounds of it) an entire army on a phone call? no one thought to check where the call came from first. and then it was investigated with eyes on the of what or who was physically onsite? you could have avoided this all with someone from law enforcement calling the location to confirm their demands or requirements.
    Generally, emergency services treats all calls they receive as serious. Not to do so could lead to the loss of life in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I find it both hilarious, and extremely upsetting, that in this day and age we still can't find out where a call came from easily, using government supplied resources.
    Maybe becouse if they where to trace the call without a warrant people would cry and throw tantrums about their rights being violated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems someone at Activision isn't happy about Destiny's earning reports from the last month and took Advanced Warfare too far. Though seriously, it's messed up of someone to call an unjustified Police Raid down on a person.

15+ Year Old Account
    These are always funny. I think the internet is getting too big but I am interested in how far these people are gonna take these pranks.

I shouldn't laugh at this but I can't help it. Sucks for that guy, glad nobody died.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to stop until something goes horribly wrong I'm afraid.
    The caged bird sings /with a fearful trill /of things unknown /but longed for still /and his tune is heard /on the distant hill /for the caged bird/ sings of freedom.