Poll: Worst act in EDM

Worst Act in EDM Today

And the finalists are...

1. Krewella

2. DJ Tiesto

3. Hardwell

4. Armin Van Buuren

thread inspired by http://walmerfuckingconvenience.word...-year-old-man/

You forgot Steve Aoki in the poll if you're going from your link.

I've seen Tiesto and Hardwell this month doing DJ shows. Tiesto was awful. He played like VH1 top 20 stuff with an occasional hard bass line in between. I really used to like him too . Hardwell was better but nothing exceptional, but some of that was the venue had a bad sound system so everything was a bit muddled. Not sure why he got ranked #1 DJ when he's no different than 10 others I've seen this year.

I've never seen Krewella live and AVB had to cancel his show in Chicago this year so haven't seen him in a long time.

I think the link is talking about stuff they specifically produce, but I don't really care much about that when I see these guys because that's like 1 song they'll play in 2 hours. Doesn't really impact how I feel about them overall.

I wouldn't put AVB on this list, he's a completely different caliber IMO. I saw him live once and he did a 7 hour set. That is pure commitment, the man revolutionized electronic/trance music. Tiesto was not that bad either, but I feel like he lost his way and let his fame get to his head. They linked possibly one of armin's worst song in that thread, this is armin..

Last edited by Arrow91; 2014-11-08 at 04:10 AM.

I thought Tiesto was alright when I heard him here 2 years or so ago, despite me not being into his stuff and the style he has pionered, I mean I liked him when I was into trance, but that was in the late 90s. He wasn't playing much cheese the night I happend to hear him, it was a very techno orientated set.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    Krewella, straight derp. Everything else listed is what EDM is today, people have a hard time adapting to the changes. Tiesto is past his prime sure, and AVB tries, but I just like him for ASOT, his 00/50 festivals where a whole bunch of djs make sets for me to listen to for a few weeks, and Gaia. Other than that I try to avoid EDM (though I still want to go to EDC/Ultra one day). There's a song I'll like every now and then, like Armin's "Who's Afraid of 138" section during ASOT, but I try stick with deep house progressive, John 00 Flemming, and a little bit of psy trance every now and then, even some progressive breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I thought Tiesto was alright when I heard him here 2 years or so ago, despite me not being into his stuff and the style he has pionered, I mean I liked him when I was into trance, but that was in the late 90s. He wasn't playing much cheese the night I happend to hear him, it was a very techno orientated set.
    I have a set I really like from Tiesto from 2-3 years ago. He's playing different stuff this year and it's really bad, sets full of songs like "Red Lights". The comments when "Red Lights" was released were funny, I think half of them were "Nice song Avicii". Hopefully this is just a 1 year experiment for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Terrible article. Its probably an attempt to be sarcastic but it doesn't do it very well.

Krewella is the only acts out of those listed that I would say is pretty bad. They recently kicked out Rain Man (aka the only one of the three who actually did any producing) and most of their sets are just Jahan and Yasmine walking around on stage singing and yelling to the crowd.

I understand people hating on Tiesto, especially in light of his recent album which is pretty much generic pop songs with some EDM influences. I don't really fault him for leaving trance because everyone changes their style, especially if you've been around for that long. He's somewhat hit-or-miss with his sets. If you catch him at a big festival like Ultra he'll most likely play Beatport Top 100 and a lot of pop/vocal stuff but once in awhile he'll throw down a wicked set. I saw him last week and was thoroughly impressed. I've heard he can be a bit of a douche though.

I don't think Hardwell is worthy of the #1 ranking (I think DJMag rankings are bullshit altogether, but that's another debate) but the guy knows how to put on a show. I'm not particularly fond of all the big room he plays but his mixing is pretty good. I miss his older sound, i.e. Zero 76, Encoded, Kontiki.

Armin van Buuren is by far and large my #1. The article specifically points out This Is What It Feels Like, which is by far the most commercial song he's ever made. Anyone who has seen Armin play an extended set will tell you that he is amazing. There will be a few performances in which he plays pretty standard stuff (i.e. at large festivals where everyone only gets one hour to play), but give the man 2+ hours and he will blow you away. I went to the Armin Only show in LA earlier this year when he played a five-hour set and also saw him play a 1.5 hour set last weekend in which he threw down a lot of dark/tech/psy 138/140bpm stuff. Hands down, nobody does more for their respective genre and for the scene in general than this man.

If you want to talk about a shitty act then Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike must be at the top of the list. The fact that these guys ranked #2 is a travesty. Listen to any one of their sets from the past year and you'll see how shitty and choppy everything is, from the song selection to their mixing to the fact that they constantly feel the need to get on the mic every 5 minutes and yell "EVERYBODY FUCKING JUMP!" or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    If you want to talk about a shitty act then Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike must be at the top of the list. The fact that these guys ranked #2 is a travesty. Listen to any one of their sets from the past year and you'll see how shitty and choppy everything is, from the song selection to their mixing to the fact that they constantly feel the need to get on the mic every 5 minutes and yell "EVERYBODY FUCKING JUMP!" or something along those lines.
    Luckily I have never seen them, I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Reminds me of someone I have seen this year: Showtek. They say their name about 50 times in a 1 hour set. Sadly after their set when I said to the person next to me, "So who was that playing?" they didn't get the joke.

I'd probably agree with everybody else on Krewella, but I've never seen them so didn't want to rank them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Luckily I have never seen them, I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Reminds me of someone I have seen this year: Showtek. They say their name about 50 times in a 1 hour set. Sadly after their set when I said to the person next to me, "So who was that playing?" they didn't get the joke.

I'd probably agree with everybody else on Krewella, but I've never seen them so didn't want to rank them.
    I haven't seen them myself but I've watched enough livestreams to know that they're pretty terrible. It's a shame, too, some of their earlier productions were rather good. The song that really blew them up was Wakanda, which I think is their last good song. Everything they've released after that sounds really generic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive seen all these acts live and i must saw Krewella is by far the worst i saw them at Tomorrowland and i was like "Whats this...I Dont Even.." and tiesto has his ups and downs but isnt doing too well lately either but thats not weird for a dj thats been active since late 90's and had his top years from 2000-2006 as for Armin since 2001 he has been pretty stable and still is tho hes slowly starting to slide tho hes still keeping the trance scene strong but hes still a lot better then most of the artist now including the so supposed number 1 dj Hardwell for which i dont get why everyone is praising him up in the sky because he still hasnt impressed me with his tracks unlike Tiesto and Armin
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    you missed one, skrillex. THE worst edm act by far! the chicks in krewella are at least super bangable
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!