Poll: Are you excited for Overwatch?

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So I voted "not sure" and now that I finally got a chance to play it I can say I'm not really into it. It plays a lot slower than I'd like and not really into the characters and art style.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Sorry, was thinking of Warcraft 2 there. Warcraft 1 "stole" its gameplay from Dune II.

ARPG is just a name for Diablo clones, and Diablo was an attempt to modernise the Roguelike genre (Rogue, Nethack etc) which not many people apparently remember. I mean, if you've played Castle of the Winds you've played Diablo :P

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, Blizzard always takes the best things from an existing genre and takes it to the next level, refines it, combines it, improves it. Overwatch is no different from all their other franchises in this respect.

They popularised those genres, they didn't invent any of them. I suppose you could say Diablo sufficiently reinvigorated the largely dormant Roguelike genre and importantly made them real time instead of turn based that ARPGs could be considered a separate genre, but really it's the latest evolution of a lineage of games.

This is what they've ALWAYS done. I assure you, Warcraft 1 did not invent RTS. This did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II

Well, insofar as you can say anything invented RTS. Of course RTS is just the evolution of earlier turn based strategy.
    Dune 2 was not the first RTS game. This was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_%28video_game%29

That said, that game was not released in the US, it was only released in Japan on the MSX. But the sequel (from 1 year later, still 3 years before Dune 2) was released on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive in the US in 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_Zwei

A little less than before, the gameplay videos didn't look all that interesting. I'll still give the game a proper shot when it's available and see how I feel then.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Dune 2 was not the first RTS game. This was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_%28video_game%29

That said, that game was not released in the US, it was only released in Japan on the MSX. But the sequel (from 1 year later, still 3 years before Dune 2) was released on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive in the US in 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_Zwei
    Well I don't think I said Dune 2 was the first, but it was the most influential early RTS.

Maybe Dune 2 was influenced by Herzog, I don't know. MSX only titles tend to be obscure outside Japan though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I'm a bit excited. However I feel it will be a game that you get bored with quite fast. Not that it's a bad thing, because if it's b2p or f2p, Im guessing some of the models... you can just login and play whenev anyway. So it's not a game to hardcore, but a game to have fun and play with friends every now and then and it's not too bad =)

Deleted
    so instead of an mmo for their market base, they bring out this rubbish?

pfft

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post
    so instead of an mmo for their market base, they bring out this rubbish?

pfft
    I am not going to force people to be excited about the game, everyone is entitled to their opinion but to call it rubbish before alpha/beta is even released seem abit harsh

uhm... wow this game looks terrible

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i'm more of a single player / Story mode kind of player with FPS, so overwatch would be kinda meh to me. i know if i play it, i would end up being cannon fodder to everyone, with a K/D anywhere between 0.1 and 0.01.

the game mechanic looks fun, would have loved a single player (or co-op) on that universe.

Overwatch looks so unoriginal that I can't be excited for it.

Deleted
    Meh, not really. Not a big fan of multiplayer FPS games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Overwatch looks so unoriginal that I can't be excited for it.
    As if anything can still be original after all this time.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The combination of it looking like it's another 1.5-2 years from release (not beta), it looking so much like a TF2 copy, and no prior lore to build interest makes it tough to get Over-ly excited. If this were a Warcraft ip and Blizz kind of did an Overwatch-style game but with Warcraft characters (like Hearthstone) I'd probably be more interested.

There is some potential in it if the game modes and objectives are really original and done well though.

No.

I guess I'm past Blizzard's target audience... That art style is seriously looking as if it was ripped out of a Dreamworks movie with 3+ rating.

Also first-person melee sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    No.

I guess I'm past Blizzard's target audience... That art style is seriously looking as if it was ripped out of a Dreamworks movie with 3+ rating.

Also first-person melee sucks.
    I get if the art style itself isn't your cup of tea but to dismiss it because it seems superficially childish is ridiculous. It's the same nonsense that caused people to call Mists of Pandaria childish despite having a pretty mature story for WoW. Only childish people care about not looking childish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not call the game juvenile on face value.
    I'd argue that you can tell really sophisticated stories and still be kid-friendly.

At the very least, from what I've seen so far, Overwatch looks like it nails its intended tone. It's certainly more than I can say for many video games trying to appeal to mature audiences that miss the mark entirely.

Likely going to try it once it is released. But meh, not really hyped for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    Let's not call the game juvenile on face value.
    I'd argue that you can tell really sophisticated stories and still be kid-friendly.

At the very least, from what I've seen so far, Overwatch looks like it nails its intended tone. It's certainly more than I can say for many video games trying to appeal to mature audiences that miss the mark entirely.
    Exactly, the whole point of the game is to bring out your inner 8 year old as they said at Blizzcon. That doesn't mean they can't tell some deeper stories as well.

Having played a LOT of Quakeworld and Team Fortress back in the day, i am absolutely excited for the game, so i will try it for sure. But Blizzard has been disappointing me lately (Diablo 3 and HotS are both *meh* at best), so who knows.

i'll check it out because it's blizzard but I don't care for those pvp-only games. even though I love the aesthetics unless it has some pve/co-op content I don't expect to play it much.

I think they did say something at Blizzcon about it targeting a young demographic and trying to be accessible for everyone, moreso than their other games that is.

But of course, there are LOTS of things targeted at young audiences that are entertaining for older people too. Hell I'm 33 and Adventure Time makes me laugh my ass off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.