10+ Year Old Account

Are PvP matches hosted by Blizzard servers or Player servers?

Before I started playing World of Warcraft I was a big fan of Halo (on vLAN) and later on Halo2 on XBOX Live for some time. The reason why I quite playing Halo2 was because ranked PvP matches were hosted by the players. It was a paradise for cheaters, forcing host to a cheater friend, hosting modded maps on a hacked XBOX, host using all bandwidth for torrents, host on standby putting other players in a bluescreen, kicking opponents from the match, some sort of wintrading etc. I was so sick of Halo2 and that's when I started to play WoW.

When I saw the Overwatch trailer I was very enthusiastic. But I would rather know now if there will be good PvP matches or if it's going to be a huge disappointment like Halo2.
    So does anybody know if the PvP matches will be hosted by Blizzard servers or that they will be hosted by player servers?

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering how they did D3 and Hearthstone, I can't imagine them NOT hosting the games themselves. Especially if they want ranks and competitive matches.

Given Blizzard's precedent with their 4 other main games (Starcraft, Diablo, Hearthstone, WoW) the entire thing will be hosted on Blizzard servers. I bet it will be a Diablo 3-like system.

Deleted
    Pretty sure it will be on Blizzard servers. Just like Heroes of the Storm are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Considering how they did D3 and Hearthstone, I can't imagine them NOT hosting the games themselves. Especially if they want ranks and competitive matches.
    That's what I thought when I started playing Halo2

Well, if Starcraft, Diablo, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are also hosted by blizzard servers then I am confident that Overwatch will be hosted by Blizzard also Cheers!

Deleted
    I think it will be Blizz servers too, I am not really into these things and I have no IT experience in this field. But user-side servers are more open to cheating and hacking am I not right? But anyway...just my thought ^^ Blizzard-side servers are more stable probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping they'll also add players server for more goofy gameplay. I like playing TF2, but not for the reasons the majority might. Instead I enjoy stuff like rocket jumping and surfing. Granted it's different, I'm still hoping for something similar to that in this game.

While I can enjoy competitive games, the main reason why I also don't really play real TF2 matches is because there are no rewards at all for winning. I'm hoping that's different in Overwatch.

Blizzard is not cheap ass like CoD with p2p shit servers , they have some pride in "quality" and dont just feed consumers " total shit" to get money

Deleted
    I hope it does not have any hosting.
    While i enjoy the randomness of a non official server, i think the lag/issues etc overcome that.