Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Thumbs up I think Warcraft RTS is basically dead. Long live World of Warcraft.

It might change if in the future they realize it has a following, but I think for now on they have taken the explicit decision to ditch it. The reason for that is twofold, one they put barracks and other RTS-reminding things in Garrisons as if to appease the old fans and they just don't have news about it.

Though I get a sense the main audience would be nostalgia buyers.

But, the main reason might also be it could be pirated easily.

WC4 will become a thing to look forward to after SC2 and legacy of the void are done and dusted. I don't see them abandoning the rts audience, blizz are one of the onyl people still produced AAA RTS. Not to mention the possibility of wow2/wow xpacs where they need to establish new lore imo and wc4 is the platform to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    It might change if in the future they realize it has a following, but I think for now on they have taken the explicit decision to ditch it. The reason for that is twofold, one they put barracks and other RTS-reminding things in Garrisons as if to appease the old fans and they just don't have news about it.

I think the reason they haven't released a warcraft rts game recently is b/c they don't want it to compete and take attention away from their other rts Starcraft 2.

Deleted
    I don't know man, it just looks bad for their business model. The main reason WoW is able to make tons of money is that is must be played with a subscription. The illegal servers are unplayable, but an RTS could be extremely easily pirated since it would also have a single player mode, or just something simple for multiplayer.

why people so naive and arrogance, warcraft RTS can't exist anymore when WoW is been using for story telling
    so foget about WC4, and yes also foget about WoW 2 as WoW is being profitable enough and are able to be constantly develop
    Last edited by Zstr; 2014-11-08 at 12:22 PM.

Warcraft RTS has been dead for a long time, so not sure why this should be news. We'll probably see a new Warcraft RTS someday, but as long as WoW is running and Starcraft is keeping the RTS fans pleased there's no reason for it to exist, it'll be many years before we'll see anything on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    They can easily establish new lore in WoW. Funnily, they already do.
    I know that, but to me and others the lore has been flat since wotlk. It's not quite the same having to read all the extra books just to know what is going on. It's always felt much better to have the lore pre-established in wc. That alone could boost wow2 sales.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I know that, but to me and others the lore has been flat since wotlk. It's not quite the same having to read all the extra books just to know what is going on. It's always felt much better to have the lore pre-established in wc. That alone could boost wow2 sales.

I'm watching the warcraft 1 and 2 stories as we speak. They established little. In fact, half of the stuff are not applicable (e.g. humans destroying the portal early, orcs decimating the alliance early etc., lots of non-canon things).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    wc3 have nothing to do with starcraft rts and no, not coz of there is another rts. depends on wow and how they will want to make money..they know that wc4 can be huge success and huge disapointment depends on how they do it...also WoW...they already have model and it can keep going forward just by adding new xpacs with couple new zones and monsters..in wc4 they need to make a huuugeee very huuge job on their asses that they can ruin...they need to do it when they are ready. they havent even said that there are plans to do new rts

I'm watching the warcraft 1 and 2 stories as we speak. They established little. In fact, half of the stuff are not applicable (e.g. humans destroying the portal early, orcs decimating the alliance early etc., lots of non-canon things).
    I meant more wc3. Which did pretty much establish bc and wotlk's story. I'm still convinced, and I base this on nothing but anecdotal experience that the sub drops during cata were at least in part to people not giving a fuck about the story. Among the dozens of other things it did wrong.

This is one of the big problems I have with the WoW community, tbh. The idea that the lore had to come from WC3 for a start and then that the lore needs to come from an RTS first in the first place. The lore has been fine since WoTLK, imo. You don't really need to read the books to keep up but I can see where you're coming from.
    You can not like it all you want but it's hard to deny that BC and wotlk had a pull because it was finishing up stories previously started. I quote a friend who quit during cata. "Who the fuck is this dragon and where did he come from?"

I'm not saying it's the right attitude to have, but it is an attitude people have.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2014-11-08 at 12:34 PM.

Maybe after SC2 is completely done, but I wouldn't bet on it since it's been 11 yers since we saw the last WC rts release, that world moved over to MMO and is there to stay. Maybe after WoW is completely dead? Wouldn't bet on it though as I said.

There will be a new Warcraft...someday. The story will likely be within a new continuity, or far in the future of the current one. To think that there would never be one because of World of Warcraft is silly. It's a popular property, and once there is no more money to be made from SC2 and its various expansions, then Warcraft 4 is inevitable. Hell, I'd venture to say the existence of WoW means absolutely nothing with regard to Warcraft 4. Blizzard was content to let Starcraft's story stew for over a decade, in spite of the fact that universe went completely unused during that time. Telling a story is secondary to Blizzard. Providing a product that will be popular with consumers is.

Once the time is right, Warcraft 4 will come out. But that's gonna be awhile yet. And whether WoW is still popular or has faded into obscurity will have no effect on that timeline.
    Last edited by Nekosom; 2014-11-08 at 12:38 PM.

WC4 will become a thing to look forward to after SC2 and legacy of the void are done and dusted. I don't see them abandoning the rts audience, blizz are one of the onyl people still produced AAA RTS.
    It would be incredibly stupid to produce competing RTS so they'll be sticking to SC line.

Not to mention the possibility of wow2/wow xpacs where they need to establish new lore imo and wc4 is the platform to do that.
    You don't need any dumb RTS games to establish new lore into WoW. In case you've missed it, almost everything done in last five or so years has been new stuff. Oh, and there wont be WoW2 either, just more expansions.

I know that, but to me and others the lore has been flat since wotlk.
    That's just you.

It's always felt much better to have the lore pre-established in wc.
    Better how? Explain.

That alone could boost wow2 sales.
    There's not gonna be WoW2. All MMORPG sequels so far have been epic fails. Just more expansions to WoW.

If blizzard wanted to make a ton of money of the Warcraft rts game they could rerelease the original games with updated graphics at the level of sc2. I have no doubt everyone would rebuy them.

As others have said though. They won't do a warcraft4 as a static story device like that would cause issue with story telling in wow.

"Oh I'm sorry. If you want to find out what happens between WoD and Tides of Aszhara* you need to play through WC4."

That would never fly with the community.

*just using a name for example....don't read anything into that.

Quote Originally Posted by talmar View Post
    If blizzard wanted to make a ton of money of the Warcraft rts game they could rerelease the original games with updated graphics at the level of sc2. I have no doubt everyone would rebuy them.

As others have said though. They won't do a warcraft4 as a static story device like that would cause issue with story telling in wow.

"Oh I'm sorry. If you want to find out what happens between WoD and Tides of Aszhara* you need to play through WC4."

That would never fly with the community.

*just using a name for example....don't read anything into that.
    Given the number of Warcraft plots that require reading a book to understand them, I'd say Blizzard already does that. And the number of fans that actually care about that are a vocal minority that tends to peruse this forum. Most don't care. Not like that matters when Warcraft 4 doesn't have to intersect with WoW's storyline at all, but come on.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    *snip
    I'm just speculating. No need to get so defensive.

I meant when sc2 is well and truly done and dusted. Not straight after voids release. It's a common complaint I hear, the lore is boring and just made up. Ofcourse all lore is made up but it's a complaint people do have and during bc and wotlk is felt like you were witnessing the stories from a different angle and participating in them from an individual perspective was nostalgia paradise.

Personally, I played because I enjoyed the game. It's not like the lore in TBC was actually good. The expansion was horrible from a lore standpoint.

If that was your friend's reaction to Deathwing, he probably wasn't concerned with the lore in the first place.

Point is, the lore doesn't need to come from an RTS first. They can just add it into WoW. An MMO might not be the best way to really tell stories but they're gonna keep adding them.

I do think they could still make an RTS title. I'd like to see one set during the Titan/Old God war, really.
    I played because I enjoyed the raiding challenge, the lore for me was always a bit extra I enjoyed on the side. That enjoyment wasn't there for cata. I'm not saying the lore should come from the rts just that it was more rewarding when it did.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2014-11-08 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talmar View Post
    Considering the small amounts of lore in WC1 and 2 (the actual games, not everything that was retroactively added to the lore), they could condense both 1 & 2 into one game and I'd be all over that shit.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

I'm just speculating. No need to get so defensive.
    From your lack of intelligible response the only one defensive here is you. Don't speculate in public if you're afraid that somebody might actually call your bluff and point out to you all the multiple ways in which your theories are bad and wrong.

A WarCraft RTS would be a really bad idea while StarCraft is a thing.

Why would they compete with their own franchise?

Warcraft 4 cant be announced because you expected it this year and you were wrong. Nope. No more Warcraft RTS ever.

Get over yourself. We got something better than WC4.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day