Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    First video game = Tennis for Two, everything after has just wanted a piece of the video game pie....

Anyone stop the tin foil hat bullshit long enough to consider that maybe, they're just making this for fun? Because it's cool? At the end of the day, all you can do is speculate and spew nonsensical theories anyway since you aren't actually in the loop.

They're making Overwatch and it's probably gonna be great. If it is, it will certainly be more successful than rickety old TF2 that you're all comparing it to. It's a blizzard game and it will be marketed to the masses, probably to great success. TF2 is a cult hit played by a small dedicated crowd of PC enthusiasts and valve fan boys. It's really not nearly as big as you WANT to think it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    To say that Overwatch isn't a copy of TF2 is simply not seeing the forest for the trees. It's about as close of a copy as you can get without being sued. The differences are in the relatively minor details. It happens, even Space Invaders and Pac Man had copies. To be fair to Blizzard, plenty of other companies have tried to duplicate their games (especially wow) too, including swotr and many others. My and many other's complaint is just that we would hope to see more original IP coming from Blizz than this. Since wow 1.0, we're approaching 10 years of...

SC2 - an updated version of SC
    D3 - an updated version of Diablo 1+2
    HS - complete ripoff of MTG
    HOTS - blatant copy of LoL
    and now Overwatch which if you showed it and TF2 to most non-gamers or even casual gamers, they are barely discernible

Not a pattern to be proud of in terms of originality. It's so overly conservative for a company that, at least for now, people still think of as original. What's next a Candy Crush clone?
    First off, I disagree with HS being an MTG ripoff. It's fair to say "Hearthstone is a CCG.", and that's it. There have been literally countless "MTG clones" over the years and it has reached a point where it has become a genre of its own. What you're doing is just as unfair as calling all FPS games "Wolfenstein clones".

Secondly, the same can be said about MOBAs. Everyone is making one these days and it all originates from DotA. Most of them add their own personal spin to it and this is how a genre is formed. Blizzard in particular are taking HOTS in a very different direction from other MOBAs, so much so that, as a MOBA player, I'm not sure if I'll even like it. Anyway, I won't judge until I actually get to play it.

I can assure you that other companies are going to follow the trend and make their own "objective-based team shooter with classes", or whatever they want to call it, very soon. Welcome to capitalism. Competition is a good thing and eventually someone will make the Starcraft or Diablo II of the "TF clone" genre. It can be anyone. If the end result is great gameplay I'm all for it.

People really need to learn what the word "clone" actually means.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    When the first person said, TF2 clone. That battle was already over. I didn't say it, and I'm not even comparing them in game play fashion. I'm comparing them with outlines of stylized arts, zany characters, with team based battles, with a FPS shooter environment. It's the only HONEST comparisons we can even make at this point. Comparing them outside of that is pointless.

Look there parameters, stylized arts, zany characters, with team based battles, with a FPS shooter environment. Name 3, because I can.

Loadout, SMNC and TF2. I know there is quite a few more, but in this genre of stylized arts, zany characters, with team based battles, with a FPS shooter environments. The top dog is Valve's TF2 by miles. This is WHY they are being compared, and you cannot deny that with honesty.
    I'm looking more at the gameplay because to me that's far more important than the art style, and if the gameplay itself is unique you can't call it a clone. And saying the argument is over because some people think it's a clone is a lazy way to try and say 'haha I win because there's even a debate.' And you're calling those who don't think it's a clone/attack on Valve dishonest? To me the actual story of it being an aspect of Titan the team loved and could all get behind seems much more likely than it being some petty means to spite Valve over something that happened years ago. So the aesthetics are a bit similar, so what. Yes it'll be competing with Valve but to assume it's to spite valve just because of that is silly.
    Last edited by Florena; 2014-11-09 at 03:59 PM.

TF2 is aged, Overwatch will be a fresh uptake on the genre.

Go Blizzard!

Deleted
    Yes, this is them sticking their middle finger up to Valve.

They're also bringing out their own digital games distribution platform and calling it "Stream".

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Blizzard has an already established IP when EQ dropped. Secondly, games look and have too similar of a vibe to not be DIRECT competition. EQ was indirect competition, it wasn't necessarily competing AGAINST EQ.

While Blizzard was directly competing with EQ, in an indirect way. While Overwatch seems to be direct competition with direct variables. I think saying anything else is just dishonest with yourself and everyone else.
    Wat. EQ was out well before WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmy View Post
    Well I am still supporting the side that this game is not a TF2 clone, it has some similarities, they picked some ideas from there, but they are going in another direction with it, a new direction. You could say Blizzard might perfect it, but I would say they create a new style.

I don't think they are attacking Valve or anything...they are just doing something that Valve should have done a long time ago.

I definetly think this will be big.
    it looks exactly like TF2 , not sure what you were watching, even the medic has the UBER that is in TF2 -- sure there is a few more classes, but it said no DM, only payload and CP maps. It's pretty much TF2 with some variation in classes.

Deleted
    It's pretty clear that Blizzard wants to dethrone Valve's TF2. That's never going to happen. Even if Overwatch is a huge success (Which I hope it will be), tons of people will still play TF2. I for one, can't wait to play Overwatch, it's going to be pretty amazing having 2 competent teams facing off.

Blizzard is really losing their greatness.

First with HotS, now WoD and the incoming Overwatch. Wish they were a bit more innovative...
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaMoose View Post
    well since valve has shown zero interest in continuing the Team Fortress series and is instead on the prowl for more mods to convert to "original Valve titles" I could really care less.

Its a genre if u won't make it and take our money SOMEBODY ELSE WILL
    Hah! what? tf2 had a new major update just a week ago, which added fucking cart racing! and there are also three more major updates we know of that are coming soon-ish(valve time)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you comparing a new game to an old outdated game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerias View Post
    Anyone stop the tin foil hat bullshit long enough to consider that maybe, they're just making this for fun? Because it's cool? At the end of the day, all you can do is speculate and spew nonsensical theories anyway since you aren't actually in the loop.

They're making Overwatch and it's probably gonna be great. If it is, it will certainly be more successful than rickety old TF2 that you're all comparing it to. It's a blizzard game and it will be marketed to the masses, probably to great success. TF2 is a cult hit played by a small dedicated crowd of PC enthusiasts and valve fan boys. It's really not nearly as big as you WANT to think it is.
    Pfff, hah! team fortress 2 is on the third spot of the most played games on steam, right behind counter strike GO and DOTA2

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Why are you comparing a new game to an old outdated game?
    Same reason people are comparing old outdated WoW to newer MMOs

It's the same genre as TF2 certainly, though gameplay is going to be somewhat different (a lot more classes, more focus on mobility, smaller team size, etc.).

It's certainly not revenge for DOTA or anything like that. Major game companies, especially those as successful as Blizzard, don't pour many thousands of man-hours into a get-even scheme.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Hah! what? tf2 had a new major update just a week ago, which added fucking cart racing! and there are also three more major updates we know of that are coming soon-ish(valve time)
    If that's what you call a major update than TF2 is effectively abandoned. A gimmicky side-game that lasts two weeks before no-one plays it again is not a major update.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Blizzard made this game just to attack Valve. I think it's more likely that, based on what they've learned from how popular organised PvP (ie. Battlegrounds) has been in WoW, that they wanted to make a standalone game along the same lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

A direct attack? Really now?
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

This is getting ridiculous...