Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Even if Obama was motivated to set a demographic precedent, there is nothing wrong with that. Also race isn't the primary precedent since a Eric Holder already has the title of first African American Attorney General.
    Then why are you bitching, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    People, this is not about the appointment itself and political territorial pissings. It is about how the media is trying to force race down everyones throats and making someones entire candidacy about race instead of record.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Because you're trying to spin me saying you contribute into me saying "it's entirely your fault"

And they'll be less likely to vote stupidly if we don't allow stupid arguments like this to build up any momentum by refuting them when brought up and ignoring them for the sub-standard reasoning they embody at all other times.
    Except the fact that I am mocking the news, not supporint it...
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    People, this is not about the appointment itself and political territorial pissings. It is about how the media is trying to force race down everyones throats and making someones entire candidacy about race instead of record.
    Again, public media is an option.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    You need to recalibrate your expectations of modern day media.
    This is the same media that took a minor (at least in the US) issue like Ebola and made it seem like a goddamn pandemic worse than the Black Death.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I filtered out your statement because what you said was right on, and my rabid hate of the right wing colors my judgment. How dare you insult my God-King President. I will cheat in 2016 or 2018 but I WILL GET YOU NEXT TIME GADGET. POLITICAL HERETICS WILL BURN!!
    Fixed that for ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't remember MSNBC praising condoleeza rice for being a black woman and having the Sec State, or fox news ripping on bush for appointing her. What is the difference NOW? Why is race more important NOW in big positions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Again, public media is an option.
    Not a very popular one. I am not the one that sees them constantly talking about race and thinking "Gee, this must be all shes about!" it is the many, many, many people that DO watch MSNBC/FOXNEWS and get there news colored (No pun intended) into being about ridiculous crap like this.
    You're a towel.

Except the fact that I am mocking the news, not supporint it...
    You said in your OP that you're allowing the media argument to dissuade you from supporting her fully. That's pretty much buying into the hype.

Ok, so Obama would like his next AG to be Loretta Lynch, a prosecutor from New York. She has good experience in the criminal justice field, and is well thought of by most people it would seem.

However, my problem is not with her or her criminal justice career, but in how the media is portraying her, on both sides of the aisle.

On one side, they are hyping her up because she is black, and on the other, they are tearing her down because she has a close relationship with Al Sharpton apparently.

It is 2014. Do we need to mention that someone is descended from slaves anymore? Do we need to interject race into every single topic? If you listed her name and accomplishments, would she be a good pick? THAT is what should decide it, NOT the fact that she is black, not the fact that she was descended from slaves; so why is the media talking about that so much, instead of her actual deeds?

Where was the adulation from MSNBC when Bush picked Rice as his Sec State? Where was the "links to black extremist people!" from Fox news for that?

TL;DR: Why are they making race one of the big issues of someones nomination? And NEITHER side is innocent on this one, so I don't want to hear "Because republicans are racist!" or "Obama only selects black people!"
    so let me get this straight because the right has a problem with her having has a close relationship with Al Sharpton it is racist to have that concern? it has nothing to do with him being an agitator a riot inciter that has blood on his hands but because he is black

10+ Year Old Account
    You said in your OP that you're allowing the media argument to dissuade you from supporting her fully. That's pretty much buying into the hype.
    What? I never once said that LOL. I think you are reading way to much into something. I said that is what they are TRYING TO DO.

- - - Updated - - -

However, my problem is not with her or her criminal justice career, but in how the media is portraying her, on both sides of the aisle.
    Nowhere in that statement do I say "I can't support her or go against her because of race" my problem is how the media is portraying her to the people.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so let me get this straight because the right has a problem with her having has a close relationship with Al Sharpton it is racist to have that concern? it has nothing to do with him being an agitator a riot inciter that has blood on his hands but because he is black
    I'm sorry, do you think she's guilty of some sin?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I would have a problem if he nominated Al sharpton to the position, but hes not, and the fact that she is like super loosely related to him in some way does not matter in the SLIGHTEST and should not even be talked about...but it is.
    You're a towel.

What? I never once said that LOL. I think you are reading way to much into something. I said that is what they are TRYING TO DO.
    So you'd give her your support? You'd defend her appointment and not let something that is entirely irrelevant to who she is and what she does affect your decision? Or are you going to say the media has made her toxic and you can't support her now, validating the media's bullshittery?

Then why are you bitching, exactly?
    Calm down man, all I did was point out that around 1/8 people in the US are black and that he could be overly motivated by setting precedents.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-11-09 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you'd give her your support? You'd defend her appointment and not let something that is entirely irrelevant to who she is and what she does affect your decision? Or are you going to say the media has made her toxic and you can't support her now, validating the media's bullshittery?
    I have literally no opinion on her being the AG. I have looked into her doings in the past, and find nothing to make me NOT support her, and I'm sure shes qualified.

I had no opinion on Eric holder either, though I do not like some of the things he has said/done since he took the office.

My problem has nothing to do with HER. It is the media trying to make this into yet another race issue when it should have nothing to do with it.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calm down man, all I did was point out that around 1/8 people in the US are black and that he could be motivated by setting precedents.
    Less than half of the population of the country is male yet they dominate more than two thirds of high political positions.

What's your point?

Calm down man, all I did was point out that around 1/8 people in the US are black and that he could be overly motivated by setting precedents.
    If we want to look at odds we could point out that of 82 AG's she'd be the second black one.

Less than half of the population of the country is male yet they dominate more than two thirds of high political positions.
    I'm sorry to hear that, women deserve half of the total representation. Blacks deserve 1/8th of the total representation. Of course when it comes to high positions where there can only be one at a time, we will have to use averages over time to make sure things are fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If we want to look at odds we could point out that of 82 AG's she'd be the second black one.
    To be overly fair against your point, a black person couldn't even have any high positions for a lot of that. If we were saying we should fill seats to make it proportional to race (Which would be retarded in any direction) then pretty much every AG and sec state would need to be black for the next like 75 years :P
    You're a towel.

To be overly fair against your point, a black person couldn't even have any high positions for a lot of that. If we were saying we should fill seats to make it proportional to race (Which would be retarded in any direction) then pretty much every AG and sec state would need to be black for the next like 75 years :P
    Right, I'm just pointing out focusing on the last two AG's race to try to point to some bias is kind of silly.

If we were saying we should fill seats to make it proportional to race (Which would be retarded in any direction) then pretty much every AG and sec state would need to be black for the next like 75 years :P
    I agree. We have to live in the present and go from here.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-11-09 at 12:28 AM.