Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    There was a second trailer that showed in game footage right after the cinematic was shown. Just btw

believe they had a playable demo at blizzcon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I think at most it will me moderately successful. Blizzard are entering yet another saturated market.
    Agreed, the conditions seem totally different to when WoW was released, developing from Warcraft 3...

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I don't see Blizzard going back into MMOs when their less resource intensive games are dominating the genres they are in.
    I see only Starcraft 2 dominating anything, aside from WoW, but that's because there are just no alternatives out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I see only Starcraft 2 dominating anything, aside from WoW, but that's because there are just no alternatives out there.
    Heartstone is arguably dominating in its own genre, with magic being its only counterpart worth mentioning afaik
    HoTs is still in beta and still has a huge following, i doubt it will overthrow LoL, but its gonna be one of the big ones.
    Diablo 3 is also very strong in its own field, if not the strongest compared to Torchlight & bastion.

I don't think that overwatch will be a new MMO. it should focus on being a team based shooter, as i think thats where they'll get the best reception.
    i have a feeling that if they try to turn it into an mmo, it'd turn out more like Destiny.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Why would it? They have Warcraft for that, they aren't going to make multiple MMOs, they'd simply be competing with themselves. It's the same reason why we won't get another RTS Warcraft game because Starcraft exists.

Today's Blizzard focuses a lot on having different genres going, they aren't going to make multiple games of the same genre again like they did back in the day with Warcraft and Starcraft.

Deleted
    I very much doubt Blizz is looking for this to be an MMO, it's just them trying to be diverse with the games they develop and offer. Look at Valve and Steam, they have a MOBA, several FPS's and other stuff under their sleeves now

overwatch was going to be their next mmo, but they decided they didnt want any more mmos so they made it a shooter instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldriss View Post
    overwatch was going to be their next mmo, but they decided they didnt want any more mmos so they made it a shooter instead
    Sigh. No. Titan was a different game, they shelved it so hey could work on Overwatch instead because they weren't happy with Titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    WoW started out as Warcraft a RTS game. If Overwatch becomes a massive success, which I assume it will. Will this become Blizzard's next big MMO? The base is there, the lore is there, the world is there, the setting is there. And with concept art like the one below, the possibility is endless. A world full or heroes, villains, tanks and mechs.

You do realize that Overwatch is what is left over from their MMO that they killed off a year or two ago right? If it became a massive, massive hit, I could see them thinking about doing it as they will have a great framework in place and a built in player base.

I just don't think they would pull the trigger due to them being afraid to fail. No matter what they do, they will never have another WoW. No MMO will ever reach that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    No matter what they do, they will never have another WoW. No MMO will ever reach that point.
    Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.

There will eventually be an MMO that overtakes WoW. Back when I was a kid playing on my nintendo, I never imagined in a million years how gaming could get better than that. Now look at whats available. There will always be innovators and people improving on current trends. To say there will never be an MMO as big as WoW is just short sighted and ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    You do realize that Overwatch is what is left over from their MMO that they killed off a year or two ago right? If it became a massive, massive hit, I could see them thinking about doing it as they will have a great framework in place and a built in player base.

I just don't think they would pull the trigger due to them being afraid to fail. No matter what they do, they will never have another WoW. No MMO will ever reach that point.
    I love that this post is just riveted with facts and links to back up the sheer amount of bullshit you're trying to feed us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I'd rather they go with Starcraft or Diablo first. There's already enough Lore for them just like WoW had before it started. I also think this is what made WoW so big too, people liked the idea and the atmosphere of things.

Let OW grow a bit like their other franchises and then we'll see.

Why does a game that is a massive hit need to be an MMO? What is it about an MMO that you feel makes it a step above another genre of game?

Believe it or not but the MMO genre is not as popular as the FPS genre (amazing I know, let it sink in for a bit!) and it makes little sense in 2015 to be thinking that a new franchise, one that is not even released yet is going to succeed and then for some random reason be pushed into another completely different genre?

It worked from Warcraft 3 to World of Warcraft because it was 2003 and the MMO market was fresh and growing rapidly, with technology moving to allow the genre to be pushed and with Blizzard having a fleshed out franchise of titles that were already naturally progressing towards the RPG elements in WC3... That is completely non comparable to an action-driven shooting game in 2015, a time where the MMO genre has lost popularity and developers looking elsewhere.

Warcraft is 20 years old, Star Wars is closing in on 40 years old... These are massive franchises with unbelievably large and dedicated fanbases (Star Wars moreso), and yet their MMO games (that lead the market share) are showing a clear decline in popularity for the genre where a newcomer has very little chance to survive (hello WildStar).

No, I think if Blizzard ever did another big MMO that it might well just be Warcraft based again... And that may not be for another 10-15 years.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why does a game that is a massive hit need to be an MMO? What is it about an MMO that you feel makes it a step above another genre of game?
    There is something about exploring the entire world of a franchise you like.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I love that this post is just riveted with facts and links to back up the sheer amount of bullshit you're trying to feed us.
    For people that don't think Overwatch branched out of the scrapped Titan. Just a few examples...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...came-overwatch

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...project-titan/

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-announces...tch-1656048978

Google is your friend.

Overwatch is what remians of Titan. It already didnt work as an MMO.

I'd rather see them take one of their existing properties and turn that into an MMO if they ever end WoW
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post

Believe it or not but the MMO genre is not as popular as the FPS genre (amazing I know, let it sink in for a bit!) and it makes little sense in 2015 to be thinking that a new franchise, one that is not even released yet is going to succeed and then for some random reason be pushed into another completely different genre?

It worked from Warcraft 3 to World of Warcraft because it was 2003 and the MMO market was fresh and growing rapidly, with technology moving to allow the genre to be pushed and with Blizzard having a fleshed out franchise of titles that were already naturally progressing towards the RPG elements in WC3... That is completely non comparable to an action-driven shooting game in 2015, a time where the MMO genre has lost popularity and developers looking elsewhere.

Warcraft is 20 years old, Star Wars is closing in on 40 years old... These are massive franchises with unbelievably large and dedicated fanbases (Star Wars moreso), and yet their MMO games (that lead the market share) are showing a clear decline in popularity for the genre where a newcomer has very little chance to survive (hello WildStar).

No, I think if Blizzard ever did another big MMO that it might well just be Warcraft based again... And that may not be for another 10-15 years.
    MMOs are extremely expensive and time consuming to make, a lot more than a single player game or even a high longevity multiplayer game. In turn, an MMO, a good one, is also a massive source of revenue. Making a good MMO is the ultimate goal of any game developer, 99% can never do it and 99% of those that try, fail miserably because somewhere along the line, bad design choices have been made.

There is only one, truly successful MMO on the market right now and ton of satellites that are b2p, circling f2p or straight up f2p crap.

Making a good p2p MMO is the dream of each and every game developer, the El Dorado. Most of them will never see it, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Unlikely. There was this really candid and interesting interview with Metzen lately - I can't remember where though - where he pretty much sounded like they're more or less done with "next big thing MMOs" for the time being, and are more interested in branching out in different directions, doing more new games in different genres instead of being locked in into this one all-consuming monster thing like WoW was again.

I remember that as well, and of course can't recall where I saw it/heard it. Doesn't mean they won't change their mind of course, and they pay attention to their fan base. If it starts to sound like it would be profitable and worth the time/investment I could see them doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Unlikely. There was this really candid and interesting interview with Metzen lately - I can't remember where though - where he pretty much sounded like they're more or less done with "next big thing MMOs" for the time being, and are more interested in branching out in different directions, doing more new games in different genres instead of being locked in into this one all-consuming monster thing like WoW was again.
    Which unfortunately means delving into all sorts of easy to make crappy multiplayer game genres that are successful only because the name Blizzard is on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    For people that don't think Overwatch branched out of the scrapped Titan. Just a few examples...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...came-overwatch

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...project-titan/

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-announces...tch-1656048978

Google is your friend.
    It's misrepresentation to say Titan became Overwatch. Blizzard clarified this point at Blizzcon when it was announced, they scrapped Titan because it wasn't working out and instead went to work on Overwatch, which they WERE enthusiastic about. Obviously there was SOME transfer of ideas but they said it was very little, and they wound up being very different games.

You can find a fairly detailed description of what Titan was going to be if you google around (I can't remember when that detail came out - maybe Blizzcon as well), it was nothing like Overwatch. It was more like The Secret World. The only thing they had in common was that they were both set on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.