Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Dictatorships fall mainly because people see how good life is in other countries. People get inspired. The only other way is if you have a bad dictator but that usually leads to bloodshed and/or economic collapse when you topple that, and that sure as hell isn't going to ensure the success of the mission.

That's incredibly vague. Who is the most qualified?

Usually the only democratic governments that fail completely are in countries with a tradition of dictatorship such as Russia or African countries. Dictatorships usually get stuck in power struggles and halts innovation so I'm not sure why you actually prefer it.
    All of these are reasons why I favor oligarchies as the lesser of evils in this kind of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    This may sound harsh but gays should be forbidden from joining the project, you need people that will breed.
    I would have to agree with this. People who are openly opposed to having relations with the opposite sex should not be going.

I would add to the list, no extremists. Honestly, there are a lot of bad qualities that I would like to not be passed on. Like perhaps, losing the ability to create alcohol and tobacco, by just not sending the plants to grow tobacco and not telling them how to to create alcohol.

It is interesting, just how many no specialized people could we afford to send? Didactic mentions taking social scientists, but that would be a waste. We would need people who have practical knowledge. We would also need an almost continuous shipment of various supplies sent there until we can find a way to create it on our own.

Deleted
    I would like to believe that America would share their technology and research to allow other nations to build their own colonization programs. On the off chance that Americans refused to share knowledge and/or technology I would attempt to Al-Qaeda the crap out of that space ship. But yeah, American ship is American, put Americans in it.

Deleted
    You'd want neanderthals. Saps and melonheads need not apply.

Deleted
    1 black guy to die first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Limiting yourself to one country is fairly silly because you'd ideally want to fill these requirements:

- At least 250,000 people, considering evidence suggests the human population bottlenecks at anything lower.
    - Lack of inheritable genetic conditions.
    - Fairly high IQ.
    - Diverse array of disciplines.
    Not really necessary. You can probably start with 40 people or less and a library of frozen egg and sperm samples to eliminate inbreeding. It's probably possible to grow babies in test vats even with todays technology and a lot more practical than to ferry over 250000 people.

High IQ is also not needed although probably recommended. The people would be there to just populate the place, so why would they have to be smart? Most of the research should already be done on Earth and if something comes up suddenly, I guess they'd bring robotic advisers and have a few experienced scientists with.

So what should they bring?

I guess seeds from Earth grow food, living modules, self replicating robots to build more living space, make breathable air, food etc. from local materials. weapons to defend against the tall, blue natives(or just local wildlife).

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So, I have the new Civ game, and have been playing it a bit, and I started pondering on something.

So, in the game, Earthlings start colonizing other worlds, and its done more by cultures then nationalites, I.E. South America, Africa etc etc.

If we developed the Tech to travel to another world and colonize, and the Earth is dying, and the Ship was built using American Tech, materials, expertise, and resources, would it be okay for us to say that only Americans can load onto that ship? or should the world get a say of who can go (I.E. other nationalities)?
    So who would get to leave in USA's brand new intergalactic space ship...
    Just americans? i dont think so, i think if such a thing were to be made.

The worlds elite would go - The rich - the royal - high end politicians - servants.

IF it was intended for people / civilians. Id would be utterly retarded not to get Racial diversity...
    Would also help keep some culture...

IF we ever were to go to another planet, possibly meet ET I WOULD CERTAINLY NOT HAVE 200.000 AMERICANS BE OUR EMMISARYS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Can we get off the gay argument please, it really has nothing to do with the oringinal question. If gay people want to come along, im cool with that, as long as they provide semen specimans for use with AI with lesbian couples.

Besides, we need interior decorators and clothing designers to keep things from getting too drab.
    the question was who would people bring, one of the first posts was discriminatory against gay people...its on topic and its relevant.
    If the poster had said "no black people" or "only christian people" it would be equally absurd and I'd guess you'd not be so passive about it.

You may not like to discuss it, but its on topic and its relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post

IF we ever were to go to another planet, possibly meet ET I WOULD CERTAINLY NOT HAVE 200.000 AMERICANS BE OUR EMMISARYS.
    Why? It wouldn't be any worse then ET meeting 200k Brits, Germans, or Chinese.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Pretty sure I'd be on the craft with the telephone sanitisers and hair dressers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.