Thread: Was this Titan?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    They cant make another mmorpg imo, cus it will kill WoW (their main source of income)
    But then it would be nice if Overwatch got some PVE contents.

15+ Year Old Account
    The timeline they gave in the Overwatch: Origins panel does suggest that this came out of the original Titan project. Additionally, when they interviewed one of the devs, the caption said "Lead Game Designer, Team 4". Team 4 was the Titan project.

I think the timeline is like
    ~2007: Team 4 formed. Project Titan begins.
    ~Summer 2013: Project Titan overhauled and taken back to the drawing board. Officially though, the team splits into two groups - one to investigate the possibility of refocusing the Titan project's core and taking its main idea forwards. The other group is tasked with creating another game inside the same universe that Titan was going to be set in. Each group has a new codename (we know that Titan wasn't called Titan for at least the last year, based on dev statements).
    ~Summer 2014: The group tasked to investigate taking the core of Titan forwards is disbanded, and the employees are redistributed from Team 4, mainly back to World of Warcraft (Team 2).
    ~Fall 2014: The group tasked with creating another game inside Titan's universe announces Overwatch, a team-based first person shooter.

So I think the universe that Overwatch is set in probably came out of Titan, and probably the engine, but the core of what Titan was is not related.
    Last edited by Simca; 2014-11-09 at 05:05 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    The timeline they gave in the Overwatch: Origins panel does suggest that this came out of the original Titan project. Additionally, when they interviewed one of the devs, the caption said "Lead Game Designer, Team 4". Team 4 was the Titan project.

I think the timeline is like
    ~2007: Team 4 formed. Project Titan begins.
    ~Summer 2013: Project Titan overhauled and taken back to the drawing board. Officially though, the team splits into two groups - one to investigate the possibility of refocusing the Titan project's core and taking its main idea forwards. The other group is tasked with creating another game inside the same universe that Titan was going to be set in. Each group has a new codename (we know that Titan wasn't called Titan for at least the last year, based on dev statements).
    ~Summer 2014: The group tasked to investigate taking the core of Titan forwards is disbanded, and the employees are redistributed from Team 4, mainly back to World of Warcraft (Team 2).
    ~Fall 2014: The group tasked with creating another game inside Titan's universe announces Overwatch, a team-based first person shooter.

So I think the universe that Overwatch is set in probably came out of Titan, and probably the engine, but the core of what Titan was is not related.
    They said summer 2013 is when they started working on Overwatch, when Titan was disbanded. There's no way they'd have that playable demo and that cinematic trailer if they had just started in Summer 2014.

They recycled some stuff from Titan, yes, but they're not the same project.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Metzen basically said that it kinda evolved from Titan into what is now Overwatch. I wouldn't say this was Titan, but they probably took some things from Titan - concept art, story, characters - and used that as a basis for Overwatch or integrated it into Overwatch.
    That would be my guess, I think it's more likely, it depends of course how far bad they knew the wouldn't continue with titan.

It's recycled stuff from project Titan, probably Titan's battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    According to blizzard, no. According to self-proclaimed forum experts on titan, yes.

Take your pick who you want to believe.
    According to common sense and the notion that no company is going to spend money developing something and then completely scrap all of it, the answer is yes.

You can safely assume that this borrowed most if not all characters, a portion of gameplay elements, environments, artwork, and turned it into a more focused gametype, rather than the wider reaching MMO that they decided to stop working on. Things simply aren't done in that sort of fashion unless there's a legal reason for doing so (copyright infringement, etc)

The debate really doesn't matter though. For whatever reason, they felt that Titan as an overall game wasn't working out, and this is what's being presented. How they got from point a to point b really doesn't matter with regards to how fun the game is, or isn't.