10+ Year Old Account

Freedom of speech vs right to privacy

So, I recently read through this article - http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-29946114

tl;dr : strippers are licensed as per the state of Washington, which apparently extends freedom of speech through the freedom of information act to access their personal information. The state was sued to prevent this release, on the basis that release of this information was a potential danger to the health and well being of those in question.

The biggest concern for this even for those not concerned about right to private of strippers is, of course, the precedents down the road. For example, every health care worker is registered as per the state; what exactly would prevent one from obtaining the personal information of a doctor, in order to pressure/force them to write prescriptions for narcotics? What about gun owners?

So do people think that this extension of freedom of speech is right, in addressing individuals who are registered as per the government but are not actually public servants? At some point does right to privacy trump freedom of speech?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    So, I recently read through this article - http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-29946114

tl;dr : strippers are licensed as per the state of Washington, which apparently extends freedom of speech through the freedom of information act to access their personal information. The state was sued to prevent this release, on the basis that release of this information was a potential danger to the health and well being of those in question.

The biggest concern for this even for those not concerned about right to private of strippers is, of course, the precedents down the road. For example, every health care worker is registered as per the state; what exactly would prevent one from obtaining the personal information of a doctor, in order to pressure/force them to write prescriptions for narcotics? What about gun owners?

So do people think that this extension of freedom of speech is right, in addressing individuals who are registered as per the government but are not actually public servants? At some point does right to privacy trump freedom of speech?
    No identifiable information concerning citizens held by the government should be released to anyone for any reason except in very specific cases related to failure of the government to follow the law, and that should require a court order. Freedom of speech should not be extended to the freedom to spy, privacy should take precedence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    No identifiable information concerning citizens held by the government should be released to anyone for any reason except in very specific cases related to failure of the government to follow the law, and that should require a court order. Freedom of speech should not be extended to the freedom to spy, privacy should take precedence.
    Pretty much what I think as well.

If you're involved in a crime, all that legal stuff is public. That's how those photos of drunk celebrities make it online. I guess they do this so that the courts are transparent and everyone can see they are fair but it seems like a huge invasion of privacy.

Auto driver's licenses are public in many states and people can see your address etc.

I don't know, I guess there's a balance.

Strippers don't want creeps looking them up and rightly so. Maybe we should decide on a case by case basis.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland