Deleted

Crane Stance: Frequently Asked Questions

I supect we're gonna have so many questions about Crane stance I thought I'd knock up a FAQ and if someone could just sticky it, might save a lot of repetition.

Crane Stance Essentials

If you read nothing else:
    • Crane stance CANNOT heal on its own
    • Crane stance DOES NOT suck
    • Crane stance IS used to quickly generate stacks of Mana Tea
    • Switch out of Crane stance 10s before big damage to get ready

What is Crane Stance

Crane stance is how fistweaving has been redesigned for Warlords of Draenor. To split the power of Uplift from the chi-generation of a fistweaving rotation they have locked certain spells to each Stance with the expressed plan of being able to tune them separately. The current tuning of Crane stance is for it to provide approximately 50% of the damage output and 50% of the healing output of a DPS and healer respectively. It follows a Windwalker-lite ability rotation, maintains a trio of buff/debuffs and builds stacks of Vital Mists for use on direct healing spells.

What is Crane Stance For

The most contentious and most challenging thing for people new to spec or not been keeping up with changes through beta is that Crane stance is not a healing rotation. By being designed to provide the half a healer's worth of output it is not capable of healing a group on its own. This means that in 5-man content it is simply not possible to reliably heal purely in Crane, at least not without overgearing the content or some other shenanigans. Yes, it is possible to do Gold Proving Grounds (see Dayani's blog) but succeeding one time out of many is not something viable. What Crane is currently being used for is 1) mana management tool and 2) being able to out DPS other healers:
    1) by using at the start of a fight it is posible to build up a large number of stacks whilst healing requirements are low to provide additional raid DPS and store a mana buffer for later in fight., especially under Heroism/equivalent.
    2) whenever else in raid the healing needed is low and potential for useful DPS is high (especially with damage buffs etc) Crane stance can provide more DPS than, say, a Disc priest or Resto shaman.

Whether the amount of damage provided is actually useful and whether the niche of being able to straddle the DPS-healer divide is truly something that groups want is theoretically viable but as yet unproven. At present we can both heal well and damage some without a great loss to healing, so if you hate Crane then don't use it but the more you embrace it the more you can provide.

When to use Crane Stance

This is perhaps the biggest area of contention. In short, definitely use it at the beginning of the fight, probably use it whenever Heroism is up and maybe use it at other times if safe to do so. Given that the last point is going to screw us up more often than anything else: if you have 20-30s when either the incoming damage is low or the other healers are well on top of it then feel free to switch stances and get your melee on. Drop out of the stance sooner rather than later and get your ReMs out and play as normal in Serpent stance. If there is an environmental bonus to damage this only makes the potential reward greater. Your priority is healing so if in doubt, stay in Serpent. As we all get more familiar with the set up the opportunities to use Crane will only become more clear.

Eminence Healing

This point seems to be causing some confusion to people, probably because fistweaving has cared about autoattacks, abilities and both at different times. At present all damage done whilst in Crane Stance will generate a smart heal for half of the damage dealt, healing a single target within 20 yards of yourself. Your Jade Serpent Statue will then duplicate this heal to a target within 20 yards of it-self. If a target was in range of both you AND statue
    then it is healed twice. This then means that the harder hitting your damage attack the more healing it will do - therefore Rising Sun Kick will give you your highest individual Eminence heal (except Touch of Death, see later). So without a Statue out (or not in range) 50% of all your damage is converted to healing, and with your Statue out (or in range) you do 100% of all your damage as healing. So if on your Recount your Statue Eminence healing is way off your personal healing you need to get better with moving your statue along with you. The overall effect of this is a huge number of small, smart heals which stack up to provide your base healing (~50% of your total healing)

Special mention for Blackout Kick given the tooltip, wowhead description and in-game effect are all different - even the patch notes state two different things. Damage from Blackout Kick heals up to 5 targets for 20% of the initial damage dealt; this is duplicated by your statue doing the same. So using BoK will generate up to 10 heals of 20% each for a total of 200% of dealt damage as Eminence healing. This means in a 5-man group with both Statue and yourself in range of every group member, everyone will be healed by two 20% heals - i.e. up to 5 targets from each source. Blackout Kick is replaced by Chi Explosion and also provides Crane's Zeal at 2 chi and has the same BoK Eminence mechanism for its damage portion.

Crane "Rotation"

Please see Monkioh's excellent guide for how to heal through Mistweaving generally as to be able to use Crane stance at all you need to know where it is placed within the spec on the whole. Whilst in the spec however, do the following:

Single Target (Damage):
    1. keep up Crane's Zeal (=20% crit; via Blackout Kick) and Tiger Power (ignore 30% armor; via Tiger Palm)
    2. use Rising Sun Kick on cooldown and keep debuff up on persistent targets (within 8 yards)
    3. if Pool of Mists taken at 100 then keep RSK from capping at 3 charges to maximise usage overall
    4. use Touch of Death on cooldown
    5. use level 30 talent on cooldown
    6. use Blackout Kick when 2 chi available
    7. use Expel Harm (on cooldown) and Jab to build chi

n.b Crackling Jade Lightning is incredibly expensive for its effect and should be emergency use only, or at the very begining of fight to kickstart getting buffs up, avoid it otherwise.

AoE (Damage):
    1. follow the same rotation as above to keep self-buffs up and RSK-debuff on enemies taking damage
    2. in general you don't want to spam expensive spells (RSK and RJW) but if there are a lot of adds (somewhere around 10-12) RJW actually does more healing in Crane than Serpent
    3. use level 30 talent on cooldown (Chi Burst more potential dps and healing)

Healing (options, NOT a rotation:
    • at 4 or 5 stacks of Vital Mists cast Surging Mist
    • you gain on stack per chi spent so use Tiger Palm or Blackout Kick to avoid wastage when at 3 or 4 chi
    • remember you have Thunder Focus Tea to double up a Surging if you need a bigger flash heal
    • use Glyphed Expel Harm for a small heal and gain chi
    • if taken use Chi Explosion at 3 or 4 chi for AoE stacked healing as needed
    • stick in melee range and DPS as above to generate Eminence smart healing within 20 yards of yourself and duplicated with 20 yards of your Statue
    • as above if lots of adds SCK or RJW does well (NOT AoE like in Serpent stance)

It is essential for healing that you move your statue so that there are at least 5 targets within range at all times so you don't miss out on the Blackout Kick eminence healing. Ideally keep tank within both you and statue's range. Keep it on a keybind and move it as often as you need to. Don't forget about it!

Mobility:
    1) keep within melee range or boss or adds
    2) Roll/Chi Torpedo if need be
    3) Nible Brew or Tiger's Lust if needed - plenty of options

Cooldowns:
    1) Life Coccoon usually best on tank
    2) Touch of Death does crazy healing (two 1/2 max HP heals) but limited by 10% target HP (or less HP than you)
    3) Revival is currently very strong and when cast from Crane benefits from increased Crit (Zeal) and Multistrike (Tiger Strikes), time it for maximal effect. Useful as a get out jail card to smooth getting back to Serpent.
    4) Xuen has been buffed recently but still doesnt seem *as* good as RJW

Macros

One of the difficulties Blizz must have in designing a healing melee stance is target selection as they just can't force everyone to use mouseover macros, despite the massive advantages for healers. As it stands the stance rests on smart healing for ~50% of its output. I consider the mouseovers for the below essential if you want to do any real healing in Crane stance:
    1) Surging Mist - you need to have this on mouseover
    2) Expel Harm - you benefit some from this on mouseover
    3) Life Coccoon - again better on mouseover and if you have it, macro in Gift of the Naaru (bonus 30% your max HP as healing over 5s!)

For example:
    #showtooltip Expel Harm
    /cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][] Expel Harm

Talents

In short, pick your talents based on your Serpent stance playstyle and be done with it. Each tier now has at least two viable options which is nice. For what its worth, Chi Burst has the most potential at level 30 and the Chi Brew/Power Strikes argument goes long. In long fights you get loads of chi from Power Strikes and that means less jabs and more BOKs which is fundamentally a Good Thing. Chi Brew gives you more potential for burstiness. Pick what
    you like using. RJW beats Xuen and does an amazing amount of healing for a hefty cost. I dislike Chi Torpedo personally, because the extra distance makes it a bit clunky. When I have chance to test the level 100s I'll update my opinions but at present Pool of Mists is looking the safest bet.

Weakauras

You need to have your buffs tracked, your stacks of Vital Mists somewhere obvious and ideally your level 30 talent tracked. Having your stacks of mana tea up is nice and all but at present is missing the point of using Crane to generate them - if near capping then use some mana (RJW is an excellent choice) and burn a stack or two. I use the following (hope it works) where the buffs get more and more visible the closer to falling off they are and then bounce about for added visibility.

Code:
    dmudBaqjHq5tssYTOsYUaIgMKYXeHLjjEMuyAePRrLABuj(gryCkfNtP06ecvnpjvvDpjvzFss1bLKYcfrpKkPUOqiBuPQ(OqOYiLKuNusLxseXmvQs3eizNsPFkfnuHulLispv1uL4QsQkBvsI(QKQkRvscZfiSx0FfPblKCyilwO8yatMQCzkBMQ6ZuXOfQonuVwPkMTOUnrTBb)g0WLQLt45kMoPRRKTdK67kvgVqW5bQ1te1(fIMjyHhXcv(HVciRbYTG0nVmVhVhl8oc4o(9gr7x4JqtF)XuUV7ns4wITsL2OXMAvQ4Ed9DLu38GB67pMY9DL7TB3SvAn3stinXw3jKG(UsQuEH5GHHc4UX7boGKXaoc4QZpw2pAioO8sADrCvDHh7X7AbkyrgvYLV)WVd7PX5(sDPrLg1QvZfjQuXTl1QrFxjTbFyjxeyhhtmSnbFCd7ex5(sDlDtTgU3uzJes4YwxQrFxj1f(me5XcVabySWlVYkMfQu5fWSXcV8kRywOsLkVfHok4zEmjvEawyBcw4vb2XXeSWlmzE38RXKutMj5bGRG2SBcKcf8vVE8aWvq5tWlm5MDtGuOGV68bKSnSW2e8UwGcwvnrgvvyOmvEG1Oq504ypJxXYMhv(Ua6iSzIwya4bddSvkFgI8yHFnwA2aTLzm(1yPaz0mmjVabySWlVYkMfQu5xJLkzyWymEbmBSWlVYkMfQu5xJLcaLJHuMKhiJMHf(bhCYgpOA2kjuPY7dd6Xs2yBfP8E4PNrGVIa2ZWhX68cZbddfWDJhdad8aqy2dUlWy8iafdddl8JIekl8EWuNmChtsLkp4M((JPSTrfEKNhwXWakNQcSJJjgwOYJ94DTafSQAImQQWq5iJQ(68aWmuWcBLY2AG0DIeBCz72As0qITjCtLhfWYifddSWpksOSWRG7gFxyJP8DHnMY7J8m(1yPaWmuWy8OCpoIT1aPB(1yPOCpoIjPYlJWbw4r5ECubC34bwJcL57cBmLVVYJXJY94i2wdKv4xJLIY94iMKkVpoGN4SWRG7gFxyJP8DHnMY7J8mQu5dl5Ia74yIHTj4JqtF)XuU)MA12wtcPUur6w3sB4Yg67kPU5vOIYrlma8GHb2wJ3dp9mcCDaWaFDb1e(iade1baddiqXWzScovgUcAkGafmz4kO9LONnQSTcl8GB67pMY2gv4vb2XXeSWlmzE38bKSnSW2e8UwGcwvnrgvvyOmvEa4kOn7MaPqbF1RhpaCfu(e8RXKutMj5fMCZUjqkuWx)RhpWAuOCACSNXRyzZJkFxaDe2mrlma8GHb2kLpdrESWVglnBG2Ymg)ASuGmAgMKxGamw4LxzfZcvQ8RXsLmmymgVaMnw4LxzfZcvQ8RXsbGYXqktYdKrZWc)GdozJhunBLeQu59Hb9yjBSTIuEp80ZiWxra7z4JyDEH5GHHc4UXJbGbEaygkyHTs5(U4UH0nB3iHev24Y2evQqFx5UbvEKNhwXWakNQcSJJjgwOYJcyzKIHbw4hfjuw4vWDJVlSXu(UWgt59rEgvEzeoWcVcUB8DHnMY3f2ykFFLhJkVpoGN4SWRG7gFxyJP8DHnMY7J8mQu5XE8UwGcwvnrgvvyOCKrfrbpCWHpcn99ht5(UtiDtTkBLwZDdxKwPIu67kPs5dl5Ia74yIHTj4rakgggw4hfjuw49GPoz4oMKkvEp80ZiW1bad81fut4JamquhammGafdNXk4uz4kOPacuWKHRG2xIE24bGWShCxGXOY2gSWdUPV)ykBBuHxfyhhtWcVWK5DZdSgfkNgh7z8kw284bGRG2SBcKcf8vVE8bKSnSW2e8UwGcwvnrgvvyOmvEa4kO8j4fMCZUjqkuWxDECa0MymMKkFxaDe2mrlma8GHb2kLpdrESWVglnBG2Ymgpqgndl8do4KnEq1SvsOYVglfiJMHj5fiaJfE5vwXSqLkVaMnw4LxzfZcvQ8RXsLmmymg)ASuaOCmKYKu59Hb9yjBSTIuEH5GHHc4UXJbGbEShVRfOGvvtKrvfgkhzuGcpdo4WRqfLJwya4bddSTgFeA67pMY93uR22Asi1Lks36wAdx2qFxj1npYZdRyyaLtvb2XXedlu5dl5Ia74yIHTj4rbSmsXWal8JIekl8k4UX3f2ykFxyJP8(ipJFnwkamdfmgpk3JJyBnq6MFnwkk3JJysQ8YiCGfEuUhhva3nEG1OqzEfC347cBmLVlSXu(yWvaW4r5ECeBRbYk8RXsr5ECetsL3hhWtCw4vWDJVlSXu(UWgt59rEgvQ8iafdddl8JIekl8EWuNmChtY7KH7srakgg4N4WD8oz4UuFbs24RgGIHHKlvHHg8EWuG1OqzgJFGRGhFDb1e(iadevZZdggqu)m0EQ2sGgqenCNjQ2sGgqzEyeioCf8gqeD9166QgKqhhEpy6axbpgJkVpoGN4SW7btDYWDmjVtgUlfbOyyGpo2Z4DYWDP(cKSXxnafddjxQcdnOsL3dp9mcCDaWaFDb1e(iade1baddiqXWzScovgUcAkGafmz4kO9LONnEaim7b3fymQSvkl8GB67pMY2gv4vOIYrlma8GHb2wJhbOyyyyHFuKqzH3dM6KH7ysQu5vb2XXeSWdSgfkNgh7z8kw284bGRG2SBcKcf8vVE8bKSnSW2e8fSJjImQOH7mbvEa4kO8j4fMCZUjqkuWxDEHjZ7MFnMKAYmjv(Ua6iSzIwya4bddSvkFgI8yHFnwA2aTLzm(1yPaz0mmjVabySWlVYkMfQu5xJLkzyWymEbmBSWlVYkMfQu5xJLcaLJHuMKhiJMHf(bhCYgpOA2kjuPY7dd6Xs2yBfP8E4PNrGVIa2ZWhX68cZbddfWDJhdad8ippSIHbuovfyhhtmSqLh7XxWoMiYOIgLLJmQ6RZhwYfb2XXedBtWhHM((JPSDReG0LgjCVnHeBDzJeU5rbSmsXWal8JIekl8k4UX3f2ykFxyJP8(ipJFnwkamdfmgpk3JJyBnq6MFnwkk3JJysQ8YiCGfEuUhhva3nEG1Oqz(UWgt57R8y8OCpoIT1azf(1yPOCpoIjPY7Jd4jol8k4UX3f2ykFxyJP8(ipJkvEaygkyHTs5(BKyBJgBCjrIT1CzRlBRqFx5wkvEp80ZiW1bad81fut4JamquhammGafdNXk4uzyypPk2XeDuwMhacZEWDbgJkBDZcVkWooMGfEHjZ7Mhynkuono2Z4vSS5XVgtsnzMKhaUcAZUjqkuWx96XdaxbLpbVWKB2nbsHc(6F94dizByHTj4lyhtezurd3zcQu57cOJWMjAHbGhmmWwP8XnStCLTUifKU0iHujKOHB3BDlbFgI8yHFnwA2aTLzm(1yPaz0mmjVabySWlVYkMfQu5xJLkzyWymEbmBSWlVYkMfQu5xJLcaLJHuMKhiJMHf(bhCYgpOA2kjuPY7dd6Xs2yBfP8E4PNrGVIa2ZWhX68cZbddfWDJhdad8OawgPyyGf(rrcLfEfC347cBmLVlSXuEFKNrLxgHdSWRG7gFxyJP8DHnMY3x5XOY7Jd4jol8k4UX3f2ykFxyJP8(ipJkvEaim7b3fym(i003FmL7l19MAvKOrJnnC3yJlB2qFxjvcEShFb7yIiJkAuwoYOIOGho4WdUPV)yk3xQ7eU3uBtnjsST22gsiL(UsQe87WEAC26Iuq6sJeU3MqITUSrc38aWmuWcBLY9DzJB3U0OMB3U3krc3B2qFx5Ubv(WsUiWooMyyBcEKNhwXWakNQcSJJjgwOYJaummmSWpksOSW7btDYWDmjVtgUl1xGKn(6NH2t1wc0eXxWoMiYOIgLLPsL3dp9mcCDaWaFDb1e(iade1baddiqXWzScovgg2tQIDmrhLLPYwxyHpcn99htz7wjaPlns4EBcj26YgjCZdUPV)ykBBuHxHkkhTWaWdggyBnEvGDCmbl8ctM3npaCf0MDtGuOGV61JhaUckFcECa0MymMKxyYn7MaPqbF15dizByHTj4lyhtezurd3zcQ8aRrHYPXXEgVILnpQ8Db0ryZeTWaWdggyRu(me5Xc)AS0SbAlZy8RXsbYOzysEbcWyHxELvmluPYlGzJfE5vwXSqLk)ASujddgJXVglfakhdPmjpqgndl8do4KnEq1SvsOsL3hg0JLSX2ks5fMdggkG7gpgag4rakgggw4hfjuw49GPoz4oMK3jd3L6lqYgF1aummKCPkmuH3jd3LIaummWpXH7OY7Jd4jol8EWuNmChtY7KH7srakgg4JJ9mENmCxQVajB8vdqXWqYLQWqfQu5bGWShCxGX4XE8fSJjImQOrz5iJcu4zWbhEKNhwXWakNQcSJJjgwOYJcyzKIHbw4hfjuw4vWDJVlSXu(1yPaWmuWy8DHnMY7J8mEuUhhX2AG0n)ASuuUhhXKu5Lr4al8OCpoQaUB8aRrHY8k4UX3f2ykFxyJP8XGRaGXJY94i2wdKv4xJLIY94iMKkVpoGN4SWRG7gFxyJP8DHnMY7J8mQu5dl5Ia74yIHTj49WtpJaxhamWxxqnHpcWarDaWWacumCgRGtLHH9KQyht0rzzQSvcw4bGzOGf2kL7lDBJevAS19MnBRKOHuxOVRC3Gkp4M((JPSTrfEualJummWc)OiHYcVcUB8DHnMY3f2ykVpYZOYlJWbw4vWDJVlSXu(UWgt57R8yu59Xb8eNfEfC347cBmLVlSXuEFKNrLkVkWooMGfEG1Oq504ypJxXYMh)AmxdxbLj5bGRG2SBcKcf81RE8bKSnSW2e8vjwr5iJcu4rhQ8aWvq5LsLpdrESWVglnBG2Ymg)ASuGmAgMKxGamw4LxzfZcvQ8RXsLmmymgVaMnw4LxzfZcvQ8RXsbGYXqktYdKrZWc)GdozJhunBLeQu59Hb9yjBSTIuEH5GHHc4UXJbGb(i003FmL77wIkvQTTM0gBtSPwLnBOVRK6Mh7XxLyfLJmkqHhD4rakgggw4hfjuw49GPoz4oMK3dMcSgfkZy8oz4UueGIHb(joChvQ8HLCrGDCmXW2k8ippSIHbuovfyhhtmSW2eSWRcSJJjyHxb3nE0sG4Nvmd0wq)Y3hhb(uxxTxsFPAsAH3aTfu(Q2qzno)SIzG2cA0cZhhb(hDeT39YVgZ1Wvqzs(PB5CDEdlu5dizByHTj4RsSIYrgfOWJou5xbSY3ZiWMG3ZIT89lG7gFvhr7n69RV9sLFfub2XXeSqLkvQSDdl8iafdddl8JIekl8EWuNmChtY7btbwJcLzmENmCxkcqXWa)ehUJkvEualJummWc)OiHYcVcUB8DHnMY3f2ykVpYZOYlJWbw4vWDJVlSXu(UWgt5JbxbaJkVpoGN4SWRG7gFxyJP8DHnMY7J8mQu5vb2XXeSWVgZ1Wvqzs(as2gwyBc(QeROCKrbk8OdvEa4kOn7MaPqbF1RhpaCfuE38aRrHYPXXEgVILnpQ8ziYJf(1yPzd0wMX4bYOzyHFWbNSXdQMTscv(1yPaz0mmjVabySWlVYkMfQu5fWSXcV8kRywOsLFnwQKHbJX4xJLcaLJHuMKkVpmOhlzJTvKYlmhmmua3nEmamWhHM((JPCF3suPsTT1K2yBIn1QSzd9DLu38yp(QeROCKrbk8OtKrjPgYdmp4M((JPSTrf(WsUiWooMyyBfEKNhwXWakNQcSJJjgwyBcw4vb2XXeSWRG7gpAjq8ZkMbAlOF57JJaFQRR2lPVunjTWBG2ckFvBOSgNFfWkFpJaBc(1yUgUcktYpDlNRZByHk)SIzG2cA0cZhhb(hDeT39YhqY2WcBtWxLyfLJmkqHhDOY7zXw((fWDJVQJO9g9(13EPYVcQa74ycwOsLkvQ8GMTjKwPgvsa

Current Discussion Topics

For interest:
    • Does Crane do enough damage compared to the utility of other healers?
    • Should Crane have been an independent rotation in and of itself? (I can dream!)
    • Should Crane damage be based on helping others rather than iself to improve scaling with group size? (personal bugbear)
    • Would it be so bad to have Renewing Mist in Crane?

Conclusion

I hope this was useful and put everything in one place. For anything not mentioned see Monkioh's guide, especially for stats (get crit/ms), talents, gear and everything Serpent stance! Any questions, corrections or suggestions welcome. Props to all the Monk's contributing so much to the Forum - you're all legends.

Good FAQ.

It seems to me that sometimes Touch of Death fails to do any Eminence healing, it's quite weird.

For PVPers that might be reading, I want to point out that this FAQ doesn't apply to PVP (Crane stance does suck hard for PVP), as you're unable to stick on your target anyway and you'd be royally screwed by the GCD if you get caught in Crane stance when a team mate is taking sudden burst damage (it's ridiculously much harder to anticipate stance switching in PVP compared to PVE). Your best bet for PVP is to sit in Serpent stance 24/7, unless you clearly outnumber/overgear your opponents.
    Last edited by MrCool; 2014-11-09 at 10:10 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    On the topic of Renewing Mist, the solution should be for Renewing Mist to transform into Renewing Harm in Crane Stance: a DoT that ticks for 20s and has 2 charges to jump up to 2 additional targets. TFT would give your next Renewing Harm 4 jumps. Damage done generates Eminence. This would help to fill a lack of AoE damage.

Deleted
    To be honest I was trying to keep my post as close to the stance as it is currently rather than what I'd rather it was. I spend enough time about what humble me thinks would smooth some of the rough edges.

However, I do think that Renewing Harm would be fine to cast as it is just in Crane stance. Ideally i'd like to be able to cast Enveloping with Vital Mist charges too (not removing the chi cost) so that you and 1) keep your ReMs ticking and 2) can trade off more straight-up damage for more healing and hence chance your DPS:heal to 20:80 or further. Whilst we can just drop out of Crane to get ReMs out to get ready for Serpent, I just don't think we should have to… to do some damage as Disc you jut press a different button.

I want to be able to Crane in 5-man! If this meant redistributing healing or reducing Eminence back to 35% I'd be okay with that. The key things is we should be using the stance to heal and doing more damage isn't really all that important - the Eminence healing is mainly so we aren't totally deserting our post. For AoE damage SCK/RJW and Chi Burst work fine.

Great FAQ!

I just started to play MW after playing WW since WoD release and there's one question regarding fistweaving which popped up:
    Is it viable to use an agility weapon like I would when playing WW in Crane Stance? Is there someone who tried that? It would easily be possible to switch weapons when switching stance. Does MW even profit from Agi like WW does?

Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by paX7 View Post
    Great FAQ!

I just started to play MW after playing WW since WoD release and there's one question regarding fistweaving which popped up:
    Is it viable to use an agility weapon like I would when playing WW in Crane Stance? Is there someone who tried that? It would easily be possible to switch weapons when switching stance. Does MW even profit from Agi like WW does?

Greetings!
    No. Mistweaver does not benefit from agility, but rather your attack power is equal to 2x your spellpower, so the large spellpower chunks on caster weapons is important for increasing your damage. It may be worth switching to an Agility weapon for STRICT fistweaving (doing nothing else) only if the item level difference is enormous, as agility weapons tend to have higher base DPS I think. The math for a precise answer to that, however, doesn't exist currently.

We could easily work out a weapon DPS stat weight and a spellpower stat weight to find out the answer, if only Mistweaver were implemented in Simulation Craft, but we're not worth the effort, apparently :P Not that I blame them; simming healers does not usually generate useful information, but in this case simming Crane Stance would make a lot of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple suggestions for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshley View Post
    At present all damage done whilst in Crane Stance will generate a smart heal for half of the damage dealt
    Chi Torpedo, Chi Wave, Zen Sphere, and Chi Burst do not generate Eminence healing, as they do both actual healing and damage in both stances. Chi Explosion is the only ability usable in Crane Stance that does both (a) damage which translates into Eminence, as well as (b) "normal" healing.

Crane "Rotation"
    Rotations for PoM and CE Crane styles should probably be separated out or otherwise better distinguished. e.g. Tiger Power buff isn't worth it for CE Crane, and RSK optional depending on fight mechanics (bursty vs. steady raid damage). At most a small gain.

It would also be good to note somewhere in the OP that PoM is for more DPS and CE does much more HPS.

you gain on stack per chi spent so use Tiger Palm or Blackout Kick to avoid wastage when at 3 or 4 chi
    While this is a small mana efficiency gain, this is a DPS/HPS loss since Tiger Palm is weak and chi-inefficient, so it's a tradeoff, actually. Probably not as bad with BRF 2pc bonus, but Monkioh seems to think it's a waste of time for CE Crane due to the large HPS loss, and I'd be inclined to agree, though there's no math for it yet since I don't really know enough about attack-power to weapon-damage interaction, and neither does anyone else, apparently. Maybe I can talk to Hinalover, actually.

use Glyphed Expel Harm for a small heal and gain chi
    Sure, probably with an accompanying mouseover macro so you don't stop autoattacking. Though there can often be better things to use for that third glyph slot, esp. Glyph of ToD for fights without strong adds or no adds with enough health to not overkill by a lot.

Mobility:
    1) keep within melee range or boss or adds
    2) Roll/Chi Torpedo if need be
    3) Nible Brew or Tiger's Lust if needed - plenty of options
    Is it intentional that Transcendence is not listed?
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

Deleted
    Like geodew said you need to seperate ChiEx and PoM entirely

But there are some things here that are wrong

Single Target (Damage):
    keep up Crane's Zeal (=20% crit; via Blackout Kick) and Tiger Power (ignore 30% armor; via Tiger Palm)
    use Rising Sun Kick on cooldown and keep debuff up on persistent targets (within 8 yards)
    if Pool of Mists taken at 100 then keep RSK from capping at 3 charges to maximise usage overall
    use Touch of Death on cooldown
    use level 30 talent on cooldown
    use Blackout Kick when 2 chi available
    use Expel Harm (on cooldown) and Jab to build chi

n.b Crackling Jade Lightning is incredibly expensive for its effect and should be emergency use only, or at the very begining of fight to kickstart getting buffs up, avoid it otherwise.

AoE (Damage):
    follow the same rotation as above to keep self-buffs up and RSK-debuff on enemies taking damage
    in general you don't want to spam expensive spells (RSK and RJW) but if there are a lot of adds (somewhere around 10-12) RJW actually does more healing in Crane than Serpent
    use level 30 talent on cooldown (Chi Burst more potential dps and healing)

You don't use the level 30 talent off cooldown. That's completely wrong. The level 30 talent is a filler and is towards the end of the priority list
    Cranes Zeal (BoK) > Tiger Power (Tiger Palm) > RSK > Level 30 Talent > Excess Blackout Kicks

A lot of the time this results in you sitting on your 30 talent for a long time, or if you fistweave for a short period sometimes never using it.

CJL isn't just for emergencies. It's actually pretty useful sometimes & I've actually started using it my opener if I get good RSK RNG. Or to get a ToD off quickly. I think a better way to put it would be avoid it unless you know what you're doing & you won't go oom in the future by being stupid with it.

It's a useful mana dump. If you have high spirit you should use it to avoid capping off at 100% mana, you can press it and still finish fistweaving with 100% mana.

Aoe you should mention chi torpedo, not RJW. Have you seen how much damage (and healing) torpedo does now in aoe?

Pressing Expel Harm off cooldown isn't really correct either unless you're fistweaving for mana. But if you used it on pull and were sitting on 100% mana you wouldn't touch it, since you finish fistweaving the opener with 100% mana + stacks at the end anyway. So why not do more damage with Jab?

at 4 or 5 stacks of Vital Mists cast Surging Mist

You should mention the 2 set here & only using it at 5 stacks with 2 chi or less.

Overall your rotation section should be divided up between ChiEx and PoM, and obviously explain that if people go with BoTS to just do the Pom rotation.
    Then in each section have 2 sub sections for Chi generators and Chi consumers + Fillers

And for chi generators you should distinguish between Jab spam -Vs- Vital Mists > Expel Harm > Jab. Because the latter would be for building mana only. Or if you have 2 set. It would obviously be Vital mists (@5) > Jab or SCK (aoe) -Vs- Vital Mists(@5) > Expel Harm > Jab
    Last edited by mmoc028a8df6da; 2015-03-29 at 10:36 PM.

I worked on some crane priority from a purely DPS point of view. I'm hoping to get a comprehensive but poor priority (maybe not every thing prioritized exactly) put it into sircraft, then get stat weights. Redo the priority with a better idea of the expected stats. Then possibly get stick the sim into Hekili, as it is perfect for it with not having any procs. Despite the rotation appearing simple (no procs) you run into these awkward situations every minute or so where there multiple things coming off cooldown, or buffs/debuffs expiring at the same time while having max/almost max Chi/vital mists. This forces you to waste some cooldown time, chi, vital mists, or buff/debuff uptime. Navigating this problem only provides a miniscule DPS increase but it still something I would like to model.

This is what i'm doing my work in, its all over the place and probably isn't useful for most of you. Don't worry if you change something the second sheet is protected as well as having a back up copy.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

- - - Updated - - -

Also who decided to give CJL a 1.6 cast time.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the more interesting things is that at some obtainable amount of spirit it's worth it to start chugging mana tea to cast more CJL.

Deleted
    This is an *old* thread to revive to be honest and was written for 6.0 and so some of the more obvious omissions, like BRF

set bonuses, are due to this. Other key issues not discussed are the 6.1 mana tea changes.

ChiEx and PoM do have different rotations but its only really relevant if you're cheesing. For progression, the basic

(PoM) rotation is as far as I know still used to build tea and then go into Serpent healing and so the rotation above is

the only Crane you need. Conversely if you're just spamming ChiEx in Crane, and I don't know how frequent that is possible

in BRF, the rotation is more retarded but see below.

As for:
    Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    You don't use the level 30 talent off cooldown. That's completely wrong. The level 30 talent is

a filler and is towards the end of the priority list
    Cranes Zeal (BoK) > Tiger Power (Tiger Palm) > RSK > Level 30 Talent > Excess Blackout Kicks

And for chi generators you should distinguish between Jab spam -Vs- Vital Mists > Expel Harm > Jab. Because the

latter would be for building mana only. Or if you have 2 set. It would obviously be Vital mists (@5) > Jab or SCK (aoe) -

Vs- Vital Mists(@5) > Expel Harm > Jab
    Well the obvious comment is that this is actually the same as:
    Single Target (Damage):
    keep up Crane's Zeal (=20% crit; via Blackout Kick) and Tiger Power (ignore 30% armor; via Tiger Palm)
    use Rising Sun Kick on cooldown and keep debuff up on persistent targets (within 8 yards)
    if Pool of Mists taken at 100 then keep RSK from capping at 3 charges to maximise usage overall
    use Touch of Death on cooldown
    use level 30 talent on cooldown
    use Blackout Kick when 2 chi available
    use Expel Harm (on cooldown) and Jab to build chi

but read vertically, no horizontally - maybe I should have made it more clear Everything above is more important,

admittedly I should have put ToD as top but I *personally* think its more useful to use intelligently as its a lot of

instant healing to two folk. Also since time of writing the RSK debuff was restored to former glory and is more more

important than Tiger Power if you're using a using abilities and not just autoattacking. I haven't run the numbers in a

while but you get more healing per chi out of ChiEx and RSK just isn't worth keeping up - gain ~9% more healing per ChiEx

(4) and +20% of your Tiger Palms (big whoop) and Chi Bursts/Torpedos (more merit) but lose out on half of your Explosion

casts.

Updated rotations, for what its worth
    *Pool of Mists - Chi Expenditure*
    1) keep up buffs - Crane's Zeal > RSK for debuff > Tiger Power
    2) Touch of Death (provided not massively overhealing)
    3) tier 30 talent (Chi Burst) on CD or Chi Torpedo (if position change permissible)
    4) RSK on cooldown
    5) BoK if RSK not about to come off CD or will cap chi before this

*Chi Explosion - Expenditure*
    1) Chi Explosion at 4 chi (and handily reapplies Crane's Zeal)
    2) alternate Chi Explosion (1 chi) and Tiger Palm every other cycle (complete 5 stacks of VM, keep Tiger Power up)
    3) tier 30 talent or Chi Torpedo (if position change permissible)

*Building chi*
    1) if you dont have max chi at start of fight, use CJL *optional*
    2) Surging Mists (5 stacks of VM) especially if T17 2pc (provided you won't cap)
    3) TfT (2 stacks) if you have t17 4pc (presumbaly) *provided it fits into your healing rotation please for the love of god

don't waste free healing for 1 chi*
    4) Expel Harm on CD
    5) Jab as filler or SCK (see below)

Jab is inferior to Expel Harm in literally every way - provided you heal with it it (at least half!) you deal more damage

and still healing for 3.5-7x as much (3.5x on someone else, with glyph). Where to put SCK or RJW is far more tricky as for

Crane they sit between chi generation and damage dealing - SCK is akin to hitting everyone in area of effect for entire

duration with a Tiger Palm (and RJW, 2) - but with a hefty 250% of the cost of a Jab (5600 vs 14080 mana). But if you

costed a chi as the cost of a Jab, for discussion purposes only, and a RSK cost 11.2k you only need to hit 3 people with

an SCK for 2.25s (reduced by haste) to do more net healing and damage than your RSK for a measly 25% more mana *and* you

get a chi out of it. More than 3 and SCK pulls ahead further... but if you take PoM the tipping point is 4.5 adds. Once

you add in reimbursements with vital mists, good Expel usage etc the cost of 1 chi is clearly not 5.6k mana, but the point

stands that if you have adds nearby you can generate more damage and healing (at cost) by replacing Jabs with SCKs as

supported by your mana.

Miscellaneous things:
    * you can use agility weapons but doesn't quitre work out. In WoD the AP to DPS went from AP/14 -> AP/3.5, so attack power

was much more relevant and weapons have lots of spellpower. So agility DPS staffs have more DPS but lose out hugely on SP.

So if a putative agility staff did 430 DPS and the int staff did 215damage and had 1400 SP (typical) the SP would provide

1400/3.5 or 400 DPS and outweigh the base damage increase. In MoP they nodded to it with Cranedancer's Staff, as it had

the damage of a DPS staff but SP bonuses. Sadly not aware of any new ones!
    * ChiEx(1) = 336% eminence heal, ChiEx(4) is 422.5% per chi (RSK on both) while Tiger Palm is ~85%. So with the t17 2pc it

should make sense to top off your Vital Mist stacks to 5 for the free chi but I agree without it the benefit is marginal.

All things being equal keeping Tiger Power up to increase AA damage (~6%) is probably worth doing for efficiency gains,

but if you're entering a no-overheal arena you're probably in CJL-empowered ChiEx frenzy and its totally a moot point.
    * I hope I made good case earlier for Expel harm along with the mouseover macro in original post () but it: heals you

for ~75% of a Surging (or ally for ~38%), costs just over half a Jab, and hits someone nearby for a Jab and a half. Worth

doing if free to do so.
    * Mobility - I didn't mention Transcendence in OP because I was focusing on staying in melee range. It *is* excellent for

dodging mechanics, damage and is generally useful.
    * Chi Burst and Chi Torpedo - provided AoE capping is working correctly (CB bugged at one point) these should be healing

for 6*275 = 1650% and 6*150 = 900% SP respectively. This is monstrous, more healing than you can do in one GCD than almost

anything else (Revival, ChiEx(4)) and should be prioritised and should positioned for. Just a shame they don't do Eminence

really.
    * secret stealh last minute nerf to Tiger Palm unappreciated
    * have they fixed way of the monk yet?

If people want me to go into details I can, 6.1 didnt bring anything interesting to Crane stance anyway. IF the post sticks around I'll just update the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slakos View Post
    What secret stealth nerf to Tiger Palm?
    The damage coefficient has been reduced to 3 from 3.6. There was a possibilty there'd be a choice between 2 TPs and 1 BoK (healing vs GCDs + damage) and was briefly (I think?) set to 7.2 - no longer.

Deleted
    I didn't actually check the date on the opening post. Good to update it though, people would still be finding it through google search

I use this rotation in H Dungeon and LFR:
    EH on CD,
    CW on CD,
    SuM with 4 or 5 stacks of VM,
    Jab to get 4 chi then ChiEx.
    When big aoe damage happen, detonate chi, big aoe healing happen as all HS explode.

I got try the OP way in LFR, but give less damage and HPS.