Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Overwatch Characters Accents

YES, it's not real-life accurate... and it's not supposed to be. It's exaggerated, just like a lot of things in the game-setting, to help add to the over-the-top cliche-soaked "comic-book superhero world" feel of things.

Seriously, though, why is everyone hung up on Tracer's Cockney accent, and nothing said about Rheinhardt's German one, or Hanzo's Japanese one, when those accents are just as unrealistic as hers? It's all part of the game flavor.

Heck, that gunslinger cowboy character - I just bet once they reveal him, he'll sound like every gritty Wild West loner to ever draw pistols at high-noon.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed if they didn't make him sound like all the best parts of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood mixed together, considering his visual design is so stereotypically "The Good The Bad And The Ugly" I almost expect to start hearing the theme song start up when I look at him.

Exaggeration, unrealism, it's all just another aspect of the superheroism "excite your inner six-year-old" concept the game is based on. Tracer doesn't sound like a spot-on native Londoner, no more than Widowmaker sounds like she grew up in Paris or Torbjorn sounds like he's fresh off the jet from Stockholm. It's like the TF2 classes - the Demoman is exaggerated Scottish, the Heavy's exaggerated Russian, the Engineer exaggerated Texan, etc.

Stop complaining and just let it go - none of them are meant to be realistic, so please stop whining that they aren't.

MOD EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Since the accents is a big part of Overwatch discussions right now. I will rename the thread and make this the ONLY thread about ALL of the characters accents.
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2014-11-10 at 03:07 AM.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

how are any of those accents unrealistic... theyre real accents

I, personally, love her voice as it is now. Blizzard; please don't change it!

Making a thread about it should surely make it go away.

Deleted
    Since the accents is a big part of Overwatch discussions right now. I will rename the thread and make this the ONLY thread about ALL of the characters accents.

After the awfulness of the worgens and their " english " accent, why the hell should we continue to settle for mediocrity?

If they actually hired an English VA all the criticism could of been avoided. (As long as it wasn't a scouser)

Except the only accent I saw ever getting discussed was people bitching about how Tracer's Cockney accent didn't sound like a real British native. Nobody else got one word said either for or against their accents.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Except the only accent I saw ever getting discussed was people bitching about how Tracer's Cockney accent didn't sound like a real British native. Nobody else got one word said either for or against their accents.
    But for my sanity it will be alot easier to include every characters accent in one thread. If we are only going to discuss one we might aswell do it in the Tracers thread

But for my sanity it will be alot easier to include every characters accent in one thread. If we are only going to discuss one we might aswell do it in the Tracers thread
    Fair enough.

So for balance, I better start hearing folks start saying how much they like Tracer's accent and complaining about Rheinhardt and Torbjorn and such.

The cockney accent is fine. Obviously its not meant to be accurate. English people aren't capable of expressing emotion such as cheer or excitement .

Deleted
    If we are going to bash any accent it must be Pharah's.. There is nothing Egyptian about her voice.

If we are going to bash any accent it must be Pharah's.. There is nothing Egyptian about her voice.
    I've never heard any native Egyptians speak, so I can neither agree nor disagree with the comparison.

Accents are fun! Unfortunately some folks take accents way too seriously. This is one area where Americans are not overly-sensitive. Its all in good fun.

I'll look forward to Torbjörns accent. Even though I'm not a fan of Gothenburg.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    I'll look forward to Torbjörns accent. Even though I'm not a fan of Gothenburg.
    It's gonna be weird seeing a dwarf without a Scots accent.

Tracer's mockney is absolutely terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It's gonna be weird seeing a dwarf without a Scots accent.

Tracer's mockney is absolutely terrible.
    ya know I have to say considering the actual European origins of dwarves shouldn't they have a more heavily Scandinavian influenced accent anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    ya know I have to say considering the actual European origins of dwarves shouldn't they have a more heavily Scandinavian influenced accent anyway?
    Scotland's the closest you can get to Scandinavia whilst still (barely) speaking English.

Deleted
    Anyone know if Torbörn sounds like a Swede?, dont know any swedish people that can speak english in a proper american or UK dialect so far.

I'm actually really curious: Why DO our friends 'cross the pond get so upset when their accents aren't done right?

I'm trying to imagine getting pissed about someone screwing up some random American accent and I just can't fathom it. I'm from TEXAS. I'm sure half of Europe likes to make fun of what they think my accent sounds like... I'd probably join 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I'm actually really curious: Why DO our friends 'cross the pond get so upset when their accents aren't done right?

I'm trying to imagine getting pissed about someone screwing up some random American accent and I just can't fathom it. I'm from TEXAS. I'm sure half of Europe likes to make fun of what they think my accent sounds like... I'd probably join 'em!
    Half of Europe? Son, there's plenty of AMERICA that makes fun of Texas, too. Hell, I'm from Mississippi - we rednecks get it almost as bad as you cowboys.