[Lore] The Question is: Can the Heroes "Die", or are they merely

The Question is: Can the Heroes "Die", or are they merely "defeated"?

In the cinematic, Reaper and Widowamaker are defeated, not killed. In the game, they are eliminated and simply despawn when they are killed; their corpse doesn't remain and no blood appears. So... lorewise, heroes never die? Like Mercy says?

Deleted
    What do you mean? Like they are being removed from the game?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, since they said something about the main story taking place outside the game, IN THE GAME they'r probably just "defeated". But outside... I think they die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    What do you mean? Like they are being removed from the game?
    No no no; I mean in real life, you get shot in the heart, you die. In Overwatch, it seems to characters can't actually die, neither gameplay wise or lore wise. They are merely defeated in combat, and flee to regain health.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Sorcerer View Post
    Yeah, since they said something about the main story taking place outside the game, IN THE GAME they'r probably just "defeated". But outside... I think they die.
    Ah, I see. So heroes can only die in the comic/anima/whatever, wheras ingame they simply fall limp to the grind and flee.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    No no no; I mean in real life, you get shot in the heart, you die. In Overwatch, it seems to characters can't actually die, neither gameplay wise or lore wise. They are merely defeated in combat, and flee to regain health.
    It's a comic-book world. But this isn't the 90's-style grimdark bloodangrykillstab comics, this is the Silver Age cool stuff - like intelligent jetpack apes from the moon. People in that era in comics didn't die, they'd always find some way to escape by the skin of their teeth and even the heaviest blows would just knock them out, and "lethal" damage would incapacitate them, and they'd be hospitalized for a few issues until the wonders of comicbook healing and science cured them.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    It's a comic-book world. But this isn't the 90's-style grimdark bloodangrykillstab comics, this is the Silver Age cool stuff - like intelligent jetpack apes from the moon. People in that era in comics didn't die, they'd always find some way to escape by the skin of their teeth and even the heaviest blows would just knock them out, and "lethal" damage would incapacitate them, and they'd be hospitalized for a few issues until the wonders of comicbook healing and science cured them.
    Well, I know that; just that say in other games like WoW, when you die ingame, you die (ofcourse not literally, but your depicted as it). In Overwatch, when I played it never looked like you died when you were eliminated. Hell; even the score screen tallies "eliminations", not kills or deaths. Maybe this is to reflect the lore that nobody actually dies? (And I'm totally fine with that. Yes; kinda hard for me to explain it but I like things be lined up with each other).

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Well, I know that; just that say in other games like WoW, when you die ingame, you die (ofcourse not literally, but your depicted as it). In Overwatch, when I played it never looked like you died when you were eliminated. Hell; even the score screen tallies "eliminations", not kills or deaths. Maybe this is to reflect the lore that nobody actually dies? (And I'm totally fine with that. Yes; kinda hard for me to explain it but I like things be lined up with each other).
    Well, the devs and those who played did talk of a respawn area, which was where you returned after HP hit 0 and also could swap heroes, and Mercy's ultimate is directly called Resurrect, so there clearly is some sort of "death" idea in place, even if, as I said, it's "comicbook" death and not realistic.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1