New Raid leader help

Hi

I have been playing since Wotlk and have raided lots i just started a guild with my mate.This however is my first time at being raid leader so its Just a post to find out what a good raid size is for raiding WoD norm/heroic i dont want to go maximum size, was wondering if you can still actually raid with 10 people id probly want a max of 15man. Also what classes i should take how many of each roles is nessaary like 2 tanks 4 heals 9 dps for 15 man etc. Also ilvl requirments for raids and any other info and tips would be great thanks.

Rougearrow.. #firstpost

Hey there, since all content is cross realm you can bring me along with you.
    us. battle. net/wow/en/character/area-52/Lishai/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Rougearrow View Post
    Hi

I have been playing since Wotlk and have raided lots i just started a guild with my mate.This however is my first time at being raid leader so its Just a post to find out what a good raid size is for raiding WoD norm/heroic i dont want to go maximum size, was wondering if you can still actually raid with 10 people id probly want a max of 15man. Also what classes i should take how many of each roles is nessaary like 2 tanks 4 heals 9 dps for 15 man etc. Also ilvl requirments for raids and any other info and tips would be great thanks.

Rougearrow.. #firstpost
    Your current idea of 2/4/9 would be a good start. The specifics would really depend on your group and their particular level of skill/gear. If you have healers who can do it with 3, then you can bring an extra DPS, or vice versa with DPS>Heal.

That's probably a good starting point though.

For a 15 man team, 2 tanks, 3/4 healers and the rest dps would be fine, with more ranged than melee. In terms of classes, you want as much variation as possible but it's not a huge deal. You can have anwhere between 10 and 30 people for normals and heroics.

In terms of ilvl, it's difficult to say, but as far past 630ilvl for normals/heroics would be best.

As a raid leader, you want to go in as prepared as possible, so read up tactics for every boss, learn their mechanics and watch videos to find out how to deal with them. I'm currently writing guides for all the WoD bosses for my guild so I can pass it around and then read out basically whats there on our first raid night. You need to seem to know what you're doing, or other people will just try to do it for you. Fatboss and Icy-veins are great places to check out for boss guides, the former being Youtube only and the latter having both video and written guides. Try to watch a range of videos though as everyone has their own way of dealing with tactics.

Just to say, whether you are aware or not, raid size is independent of difficulty.

In any raid, you will always want 2 tanks, ~20% of your raid should be healers and the rest DPS.

10 man should be, 2T, 2H, 6D. 20 man should be 2T, 4H, 14D.
    NB: Depending on player skill you may be able to run more/less healers.

MMOChamp also has a Raid Comp link here (clicky) that enables you to make sure you have the most amount of buffs possible (having all buffs isn't essential by any means, but if you can you should. You almost definitely should have at least one class that can Battle Res (Druid, DK or Warlock) and one that can pop Heroism (Shaman, Mage or Hunter*).

Now down to raid leading. You yourself need to be fluent with tactics, you need to know how you want to execute each fight and know the mechanics of each encounter. You also need to be able to multi-task pretty well, you're going to need to watch the raid and timers, whilst executing your own rotation.

You will also need to be calm and collect; wipes happen and you need to ensure you personally keep the situation under control. The raid environment is usually reflective of the raid leader so screaming blue murder at anyone that wipes you usually leads to an even worse run, whilst doing nothing will obviously achieve nothing.

Be tough-skinned, be open and don't be scared to be assertive. Call out when the raid needs to move in good time, call out DBM timers if the group is fairly new, constantly interact with the raid (socially and about the fight).

Raid leading is a tough responsibility, but it is thoroughly rewarding if done correctly.

Good luck!

Source: Raid Leader of my own guild.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-11-10 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks man. Yeah iv'e been watching all the videos from fat boss to get a good understanding of the fights. Pretty much the layout that you said 2 tanks 3-4 heals more range the meele etc is what ive got atm with off tank os dps and some dps os heals with majority of classes covered i think iv'e got it down pretty good also supplying pots and food for raid. Might do similar thing you are doing with the guide for each boss so that everyone will have a better understanding on how to approach each situation. Now its just to get everyone to 100 and appropiate gear.

Thanks heaps. Rosstafa

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Just to say, whether you are aware or not, raid size is independent of difficulty.

In any raid, you will always want 2 tanks, ~20% of your raid should be healers and the rest DPS.

10 man should be, 2T, 2H, 6D. 20 man should be 2T, 4H, 14D.

MMOChamp also has a Raid Comp link here (clicky) that enables you to make sure you have the most amount of buffs possible (having all buffs isn't essential by any means, but if you can you should. You almost definitely should have at least one class that can Battle Res (Druid, DK or Warlock) and one that can pop Heroism (Shaman, Mage or Hunter*).

Now down to raid leading. You yourself need to be fluent with tactics, you need to know how you want to execute each fight and know the mechanics of each encounter. You also need to be able to multi-task pretty well, you're going to need to watch the raid and timers, whilst executing your own rotation.

You will also need to be calm and collect; wipes happen and you need to ensure you personally keep the situation under control. The raid environment is usually reflective of the raid leader so screaming blue murder at anyone that wipes you usually leads to an even worse run, whilst doing nothing will obviously achieve nothing.

Be tough-skinned, be open and don't be scared to be assertive. Call out when the raid needs to move in good time, call out DBM timers if the group is fairly new, constantly interact with the raid (socially and about the fight).

Raid leading is a tough responsibility, but it is thoroughly rewarding if done correctly.

Good luck!

Source: Raid Leader of my own guild.
    on the 20 man id say 5 healers..

Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    on the 20 man id say 5 healers..
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Personally, I think it's massive overkill running 5 healers for 20 man Normal/Heroic.