Will This Gaming Build Work?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Drikki...dbuild_1634276

I modified the 400 gaming build from the sample post. This is the absolute most I can pay for a computer. Is this okay to run things like WoW, LoL and then some more modern games that I may want in the future?

Deleted
    Sorry to say this but there is nothing good in that build except ram and o/s. Deal is o/s is eating up 20% of the budget. So to answer your question no, this build won't work well for gaming. If you give it another 50-100bucks then you onto something, a little decent build.

- - - Updated - - -

This would be your ~500bucks build cause o/s is eating up alot as i said. You overclock that Pentium 4-4.5Gz easily and you're golden:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Respire T20 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($138.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N600PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $598.14
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-10 03:48 EST-0500

Check out this fella on a similar rig a few days ago and his impressions in wow.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-11-10 at 08:50 AM.

For my OS, I can actually get this through Dreamspark. All research I've done says it has the same functionality as normal Win 8.1 Pro, just less user friendly.

If that doesn't work, I can get 8.1 pro for $70.

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of a prebuilt, how is this computer?

That a really bad GPU isn't it?
    Last edited by Drikkink; 2014-11-10 at 10:57 AM.

Deleted
    Yes, consider the gpu non existant on that rig. Also 4gb of ram, noname-we-dont-know-what brand (half storage) hdd and very importantly the power supply. This is were all budget builds suffer on crap psu's that go bad after some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and you don't know the mobo that comes with it. If its going to be able to let you overclock that cpu, which is where all the power comes from.

15+ Year Old Account
    As Kostattoo has said in a nutshell, unless you dont have some knowledge of building your own, stay away from prebuilts. They do have their purpose, just not in this case.

What he quoted you is about the best your going to get for the money and it overclocks well, some people get it to 4.7GHz stable using more expensive motherboards, but even with a $70 board I was only able to get mine to 4.4GHz.

And the best news is you can always upgrade your cpu to a 4690k later down the road when the funds are available without having to do anything but swap out the cpu.

K will this work?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    K will this work?
    Which one? I see 3 of them, I guess it doesn't matter which, they are all terrible.

Maybe swap out the celeron one for the G3258, drop the cpu cooler, you can oiverclock it to 4.0 to 4.2 GHz on the stock one for a while until you can get a better cpu cooler, the R7-250X? I dont even know why they made that card, go for the statndard GTX 750 for $10 more.

EDIT:, Let me do some research here for ya and see what I can come up with.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the best I could come up with, with $65.00 in rebates.

If your at $500 mark and that is all you can come up with then this should do it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB ACX Video Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($21.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 430W ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $462.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-11 08:59 EST-0500

Not sure why it did that, but I was talking about the last one. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Drikkink/saved/yVsMnQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Moremana's setup is better in every way, performance, price, etc.

Only thing I'd switch out is the PSU. The Thermaltake TR2's are known to be bad.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why it did that, but I was talking about the last one. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Drikkink/saved/yVsMnQ
    Stay away from AMD, the "I cant afford an Intel" is out the window, a dual core Intel i3 runs circles around the AMD chips and are equal to and cheaper than the FX line. At the current moment, there is no reason to use AMD, none at all.

As far as the PSU, I dont know the stability of them, I have never used them, but thats the only name brand I could find at a rock bottom price. Maybe someone can advise on a inexpensive PSU.

look on g2a.com for windows 8 or 8.1 for somewhere between 25-50 bucks

found 8 basic for ya

https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-window...ey-global.html 25 bucks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caffeiine View Post

found 8 basic for ya

Those are not "Legit" Windows keys.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeiine View Post

found 8 basic for ya

I can get 8.1 for 60 for sure because I'm a student (unless I want to try to do things with 8.1 embedded, which I've heard has the same functionality... I can get that for free).

I would really prefer 7 anyway though. I have a friend who builds computers in bulk for companies and I'll see if he can get me a deal on an OS.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can get 8.1 for 60 for sure because I'm a student (unless I want to try to do things with 8.1 embedded, which I've heard has the same functionality... I can get that for free).

I would really prefer 7 anyway though. I have a friend who builds computers in bulk for companies and I'll see if he can get me a deal on an OS.
    Windows 7 is loosing support soon. Windows 8.1 + Start8/ClassicShell functions just like Windows 7 with a slightly minimalistic and better performing OS. Guaranteed if you hopped on my rig you wouldn't notice that you were on Windows 8.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |