Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    o i forgot smoking is on par in importance with cars
    His point is that the effects in those situations are absolute inconsequential to your health, so complaining about it and especially wanting it banned is silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    So don't stand next to people smoking? Unless of course you're one of those people who believe you're seemingly getting cancer from the guy smoking 30 feet away from you. If the latter, I sure as hell hope you never research the dangers of driving on the highway or walking about town next to a busy road. You know, breathing in 100x the "poison" as being 30ft away from a smoker.

The above doesn't even touch on how cigarette smoke naturally rises right on the spot compared to stuff like car exhaust that lingers at lower heights due to its weight, but I'm sure you get the point.
    Cigarette smoke very much does "linger" around.

Or have you never stood around anyone smoking... ever?

Sometimes you have to walk past people who are smoking. And sometimes, people don't smoke and stand still. people smoke and walk. And sometimes you're stuck behind people who smoke while walking.

Frankly, I want no damn part of it. Who are you to say otherwise?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

lol

o i forgot smoking is on par in importance with cars
    Nice red herring. You made a statement:

good maybe this will spread and I won't have to breath in that poison any more
    You have yet to back it up with sound reasoning. Are you being held against your will next to a smoker? Are you being force fed cigarettes? No? Then you don't "have to" breath in said "poison". Someone smoking outside in your vicinity poses absolutely no risk to your health unless you're right in their face breathing in the second hand smoke. Car exhaust pollution was brought up since that's actually something that you're forced to inhale.

I'm not even a smoker, but I still find people that whine about it in such a way that you do, obnoxious.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Sometimes you have to walk past people who are smoking. And sometimes, people don't smoke and stand still. people smoke and walk. And sometimes you're stuck behind people who smoke while walking.

Then don't take part. You're not forced to keep pace with someone walking while smoking, and passing someone outside who smokes has no effect on your health. It's no worse than people with bad breath or bad body odor, yet I can't imagine you trying to make that illegal too.

public. for example my campus is "tobacco free, in and out" and people still smoke everywhere
    See? Bans won't solve the problem, it will just get people in trouble for what they do anyway

OT: Once cars and alcohol is banned, I'll let people take away my cigarettes, until then trying is far more risky for their health than a bit of passive smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    just to let it sink in if tobacco was actually made illegal nationwide and relegated to cartels supplying it the tobacco industries revenues are measured in the hundreds of billions. now imagine that much money in the hands of ruthless killers. they could essentially buy their own militaries.

but im certain someone gonna's make a witty comment about america's military being in the hands of ruthless killers.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2014-11-10 at 09:51 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I've been around plenty of smokers, never once have I seen cigarette smoke outdoors "linger". That's not how physics work, the smoke rises almost immediately and dissipates into the air into absolute minute amounts.

If you're going on about smoking indoors, that's another situation entirely changed by the environment. Lack of airflow, wind and fixed amounts of air space.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Then don't take part. You're not forced to keep pace with someone walking while smoking, and passing someone outside who smokes has no effect on your health. It's no worse than people with bad breath or bad body odor, yet I can't imagine you trying to make that illegal too.
    Being exposed to it repeatedly isn't exactly "totally harmless." And I shouldn't have to altar the course of my day because of someone being inconsiderate.

I mean, say I walk around with music blaring at 100 dbs. No one is forcing you to hear it. No one is forcing you not to cover your ears or walk on my side of the street. You wont suffer any actual hearing loss from it. But you can be damn assured the coppers are going to have a word with me if I walk around with that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

i think I can live with smoke easies

public. for example my campus is "tobacco free, in and out" and people still smoke everywhere
    Yet somehow you think this will stop everyone from smoking just because it is made a law? What reality do you live in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Yet somehow you think this will stop everyone from smoking just because it is made a law? What reality do you live in?
    his own apparently.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Being exposed to it repeatedly isn't exactly "totally harmless." And I shouldn't have to altar the course of my day because of someone being inconsiderate.

I mean, say I walk around with music blaring at 100 dbs. No one is forcing you to hear it. No one is forcing you not to cover your ears or walk on my side of the street. You wont suffer any actual hearing loss from it. But you can be damn assured the coppers are going to have a word with me if I walk around with that.
    "I shouldn't have to alter course to not collide with other people, ban other people from being outside"

If you want to walk in a crowded public space, you're going to have to adjust to other being there. Either a group stood still talking, a guy having a cigarette or a mom with a stroller, you're going to have to change your course a bit to avoid them.

If you want to make an accurate analogy with music, the amount of smoke you get would be similar to someone listening to barely audible music in his earplugs.. It's not going to impact your hearing in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Yes yes, we understand that criminals don't follow the law.

While I'm not for entirely banning smoking (again, if someone wants to do it in their house or somewhere designated, so be it,) saying "we shouldn't make something illegal because criminals wont obey the law" is never a good idea.

I mean, say I were to whip that into something like... guns. Criminals aren't going to register their guns or any of that. Does that make gun registration a bad idea? (avoiding the usual NRA retort of "it'll cause hitler to take over the US" argument.)

- - - Updated - - -

"I shouldn't have to alter course to not collide with other people, ban other people from being outside"

If you want to walk in a crowded public space, you're going to have to adjust to other being there. Either a group stood still talking, a guy having a cigarette or a mom with a stroller, you're going to have to change your course a bit to avoid them.
    If people took to traveling with effective 10-foot bubbles around themselves, I'd be for banning those, too.

If you want to make an accurate analogy with music, the amount of smoke you get would be similar to someone listening to barely audible music in his earplugs.. It's not going to impact your hearing in any way.
    No, I believe my analogy is apt for the level of annoyance. Do any of them cause damage? Not immediately. Can they both be avoided by going out of your way? Sure. Are they annoying to be around? Yep.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account

While I'm not for entirely banning smoking (again, if someone wants to do it in their house or somewhere designated, so be it,) saying "we shouldn't make something illegal because criminals wont obey the law" is never a good idea.

I mean, say I were to whip that into something like... guns. Criminals aren't going to register their guns or any of that. Does that make gun registration a bad idea? (avoiding the usual NRA retort of "it'll cause hitler to take over the US" argument.)
    and is that where it stops? next it will be banning smoking in your own house. which is where a law like this can easily lead.

15+ Year Old Account
    If people took to traveling with effective 10-foot bubbles around themselves, I'd be for banning those, too.
    But it's not a bubble. You choose to stay clear because you don't like the smell. That's not forced on you, it's a choice you make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, banning smoking in public places was a huge success to me, I am not sure an outright ban would be effective, it obviously won't be akin to prohibition, they aren't even similar, but it could see a small rise in illegal imports.

I still routinely have to dodge the smoking parents on the way to school, sometimes moving to the opposite side of the road to avoid the disgusting trail of smoke wafting behind them, smoking ban would suit me perfectly, but I know it won't work that well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and is that where it stops? next it will be banning smoking in your own house. which is where a law like this can easily lead.
    Ah yes, the slippery slope fallacy.

But it's not a bubble. You choose to stay clear because you don't like the smell. That's not forced on you, it's a choice you make.
    ...just like it's a choice for someone to walk around in earshot of my extremely loud music in this hypothetical situation.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    ...just like it's a choice for someone to walk around in earshot of my extremely loud music in this hypothetical situation.
    Sound travels much further and is of much more disturbance, for example by making it hard to have a conversation. It's a whole other level of disturbance than a little smoke in a small area.

So smokers are criminals now?))) hahahahaha.
    on the subject. stop whining. as somebody said above, what's next? banning people with bad body odour? or too much perfume (which is worse than cigarette smoke) ?

i get not being allowed smoking in a restaurant ( even I as a smoker hate it when someone smokes next to me while eating) , hospital, in a public indoor area, but outside? it dissipates instantly.

QQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    MMO champion has the weirdest fucking threads of any board ever.

Deleted
    That'll teach them smokers not to smoke! This will surely also reduce violent crime and import of illegal goods. Good work!

10+ Year Old Account
    YES. I'm proud of my state. Look to the future. You have the right to pollute and kill yourself if you want to. But go figure out how to do it yourself. No more running to the corner store to buy neatly packaged sticks of "I'll trade your money for you life". Legally getting you and your kids hopelessly addicted, killing you and then cashing in while making the world smell like absolute shit in the process. Yep, totally okay.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy