Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best leveling spec?

Hello!

So i have be planning on leveling my rogue to 90-100 after i level my main. But i am not really experienced with them so
    i am wondering what may be the best spec for leveling? And do they require 1handers or daggers?

Cheers !

Deleted
    Combat needs 1 main hand heavy weapon and 1 of anything else. You can use daggers but the dmg is lower.
    Assassination needs 2 daggers.
    Sub needs 2 daggers ideally but since during leveling you will be face tanking you can use any weapons as you are using hemorrhage instead as your cp builder.

Depending on your gear anything is viable pretty much.

At 580 ilvl you pretty much 1 shot everything for a while. But combat is good for cleaving so if you are planning on pulling lots of mobs together. Mut spec with the rupture energy return keeps a nice pace while going from mob to mob.

Sub is ok especially since you can ambush the face now however it suffers on AOE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadohw View Post
    Combat needs 1 main hand heavy weapon and 1 of anything else. You can use daggers but the dmg is lower.
    Assassination needs 2 daggers.
    Sub needs 2 daggers ideally but since during leveling you will be face tanking you can use any weapons as you are using hemorrhage instead as your cp builder.

Depending on your gear anything is viable pretty much.

At 580 ilvl you pretty much 1 shot everything for a while. But combat is good for cleaving so if you are planning on pulling lots of mobs together. Mut spec with the rupture energy return keeps a nice pace while going from mob to mob.

Sub is ok especially since you can ambush the face now however it suffers on AOE.
    Sweet, thanks for the reply

My personal preference, especially since im on a pvp server, is Sub to level.

A talent setup like this http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zrwH8 combined with the glyph of stealth (reduces stealth CD by 5 sec) lets you spend most of the time in stealth with a move speed increase and your openers can be used from 40 yds away.

I level 85-90 that way and it was really really fun. I had 0 trouble with mobs or with ganks.

Deleted
    I'm currently thinking Assassination, but then I'm thinking I might try and get used to Subt since it's probably our better spec at 100 PvE wise and I need to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylisto View Post
    My personal preference, especially since im on a pvp server, is Sub to level.

A talent setup like this http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zrwH8 combined with the glyph of stealth (reduces stealth CD by 5 sec) lets you spend most of the time in stealth with a move speed increase and your openers can be used from 40 yds away.

I level 85-90 that way and it was really really fun. I had 0 trouble with mobs or with ganks.

This really good, except instead of Anticipation, i'll go with MfD, its just more usefull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

I am going for a shuriken/combat build. It was pretty effective throughout beta after trying out several builds for leveling. It outpaced assassination and sub after I tried various builds for those specs.

You're basically a ranged DPS with a spammable instant. It's just tagging mobs from 30 yards, kill them with ranged melee+shuriken attacks, while moving on to the next mob.

This was my leveling build on beta:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zrxHD-rfb

Sap + MfD-Evis one-shots most things in frostfire/gorgrond (this is why prey on the weak, internal bleeding isn't useful if the creature doesn't live for 12 seconds). By the time you get to spires things start to live longer and when things aren't killed in a few hits I start swapping out deadly momentum (eventually kill time + traveling time starts to get close to the duration of a 5pt SnD/recup, I think it was either spires or nagrand that I swapped it out for recup glyph).

Deleted
    Depends on gear you have. I levelled once in greens and once in 588 gear. With greens sub was good for killing mobs in opener, but with 588 you one shot everything with any spec for quite some time (I only noticed slowing down at around lvl 96). With gear I liked combat, I had Killing Spree up any time I pulled a group or tougher enemy. Cooldown on sprint was short too with MfD, which is nice too have even if BoS makes it somewhat irrelevant.

Deleted
    Yarr some good ideas already here.

With Nightstalker + Burst of Speed / Sprint you move at 215% (assuming enchanted boots) compared to a mount speed of 210% after the changes to just letting all passives stack. (Fleet Footed + Nightstalker). Glyphed Sprint brings that up to 245% and the first Shamanstone you unlock will give you a passive +30% making the total possible in stealth and sprinting = 275%.

Obviously the hefty trade off is losing cloak and dagger but i'm leveling with some range / Shuriken toss anyway.

My ret pally leveling friend is already salty I am running faster than him ^^.

Time to rename Sonicthepanda.

Oh I forgot nelf bonus - they can work that out themselves.

Sub until you can global mobs, after you wont be able to global them, i'll go assa
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    Sub until you can global mobs, after you wont be able to global them, i'll go assa
    Same here... Combat strenght is in cleaving, for that you need atleast 3 targets to be effective over sub/assa and I think that they can kill you at leveling so that might be a problem with combat.

But maybe I m wrong.

to me the specs perform the same so its just a matter of playstyle choice. i move away from combat because of the high cost of sinister strike. i move away from assassination because they require daggers. so i choose sub though i cannot backstab with a one handed sword. i like subs playstyle. at this point its all thats offered.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post
    to me the specs perform the same so its just a matter of playstyle choice. i move away from combat because of the high cost of sinister strike. i move away from assassination because they require daggers. so i choose sub though i cannot backstab with a one handed sword. i like subs playstyle. at this point its all thats offered.
    I thought you were angry for various reasons and unsubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post

Well, you dont need to backstab tbh, no point in waisting 5cp on kidney, so you can get behind the target and backstab it.

Well, you dont need to backstab tbh, no point in waisting 5cp on kidney, so you can get behind the target and backstab it.
    Especially when those 5CP can be used to blast down their health to near nothing and just finish them off.

This is my leveling build.

My talents are focused on speed (Nightsalker/Burst of Speed), health gain/damage reduction (Nerve Strike/Leeching), and CP gain (marked for death).

My glyphs allow for 100% uptime on SnD/Recuperate, increased health gain from recuperate, and reduced CD on stealth.

My Assassination leveling Build.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...221221.!YRjQMr

focuses on saving energy the exception being using Burst of speed and survivability glyphs.

Combat leveling Build. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...Za!021211.!YMr
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2014-11-12 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianRooks View Post
    My Assassination leveling Build.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...221221.!YRjQMr

focuses on saving energy the exception being using Burst of speed and survivability glyphs.

Combat leveling Build. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...Za!021211.!YMr

On the assa build, i'd go with Nerve strike, but defo with CnD instead of BoS. And with glyph of stealth. Insta re-stealth after combat, 40y range on ambush/cheap shot, why spent energy on BoS, when you can port behind them :P

On the assa build, i'd go with Nerve strike, but defo with CnD instead of BoS. And with glyph of stealth. Insta re-stealth after combat, 40y range on ambush/cheap shot, why spent energy on BoS, when you can port behind them :P
    I think CnD and BoS have their place. During generic kill quests, CnD will probably win out. During quest-item retrieval, AoE tagging, and anything that doesn't allow a mount, BoS will probably win out. I would like to say there will be a ton of generic kill quests, but I'll be going with BoS because it gives you the freedom to use movement boosts outside engaging a mob.