Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    There are still personal non-combat benefits.
    People should look beyond professions giving bigger numbers.

If you need to ask, then you have already made your mind up about what matters to you in a profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone happen to know if engineering still will be a "must have" for challenge modes in WoD? That is, if you're going for realm firsts and stuff. Curious if nitro boost/glider still will be usable in there.

Bop gun will be nice for hunter engineers...

If you want to have a bank/vendor robot, a mailbox, and a bunch of portal machines then yes Engineering is worth picking up. If you don't care about that stuff and like going back to cities for everything then don't pick it up.

Sure rocket boost is trash now. And the only useful enhancement is the parachute/glider now, but that's all Engineer ever was. :P

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Even with nerfs to engi, it is still best for main. No other profession beats the perks it offer (for free)
    This so much. You get a mailbox anywhere, you get bank access anywhere, you get AH access in places others don't, you get a butler, you just get so much. Nitroboosts are helpful for rushing through old raids if that is your thing. The new engineering mailbox for non engineers is a longer cooldown.

My alts do the gold making, my main is for fun.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if engineering still will be a "must have" for challenge modes in WoD? That is, if you're going for realm firsts and stuff. Curious if nitro boost/glider still will be usable in there.
    Nitro shares cd with potion so use it at your own risk. It's also super slow now too, just for a longer duration. Glider can be sold to non-engineers in kits. The only thing you might want is invis belt? It still has a fail chance sadly, so even that isn't all too amazing.

Short answer: not really. Professions are pretty much solely for making money in WoD, and the garrison profession buildings have sorta awkwardly homogenized them. Which professions you have doesn't matter an awful lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    Nitro shares cd with potion so use it at your own risk. It's also super slow now too, just for a longer duration. Glider can be sold to non-engineers in kits. The only thing you might want is invis belt? It still has a fail chance sadly, so even that isn't all too amazing.
    Question is, which of those things can even be used in CMs? I'm not too sure those glider kits will be usable, while the real glider might still be. And if nitro boost still works, I can definately see it being worth more than pots in certain scenarios. Also a bit curious if invis belt now shares CD with pots as well. (That one I should be able to find out for myself though ).

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Along with Alchemy (Mixology), Engineering (Nitro Boosts or belt shield) is the only profession that actually provides some benefit to a raider. Now, that usefulness is limited (Nitro Boosts share a CD with dps pots, so would only be a "oh-crap" button in rare occasions) and its not like the shield is going to protect you from a ton of damage. But its something, and other professions have nothing.
    Unless the plan changed Nitro Boosts will be available as consumables to everyone. I know the shield is.

Deleted
    I dropped engineering for alchemy.

why?
    - nitro boosts: still got their chance for failure and in this case I trade a +int potion for heavy damage (alchemy got swiftness postion, a bit slower, also pot cd but it is 100% safe)
    - goblin glider: free to use by everyone in wod. in 30% (!!) of my goblin glider uses I get a disconnect when landing on the ground. ui broken after that. so this is very annoying
    - mobile box: I maybe will miss that. however, I basically only used it, when my bags are full because I was farming. but all the stuff got way bigger stack-amount (ore/herb 20 -> 200) which saves A LOT of bag space...so I won´t need it.
    - jeeves: I WILL MISS YOU

- goggles: I learned engineering for challenge modes in warlords. however, the "good" sockets are gone and they offer only same stats as normal headpieces, so nothing special

I haven´t used any other stuff, so engineering is in my eyes as useless as all other professions (besides alchemy with mixology)

my 2nd profession is herbing because my next 2 chars I´ll level up are alchemy/inscription and alchemy/XXX so I will need a lot of herbs to get them to 700
    Last edited by mmoc8b131b83ea; 2014-11-11 at 09:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Unless the plan changed Nitro Boosts will be available as consumables to everyone. I know the shield is.
    I know that was the plan, but I thought all the tinkers besides the glider had been changed back to Eng only. I could be wrong, as I wasn't on Beta/PTR, but I can't find anything now that shows them as BoE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's the ONLY profession worth picking up, so yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    It's the ONLY profession worth picking up, so yes.
    So not having to spend gold on leg enchants from Tailoring/LW is not worth getting? Blacksmithing/tailoring/LW isn't worth picking up so you can craft your own gear isn't worth it? Sorry but I won't be doing engineering on any other toon besides my shaman who I've considered dropping it on since profession perks were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    You can use a Cloak + 3, but not Engineering.
    Actually Cloak + 3 was a bug. Bashiok confirmed it in a tweet and said they'd have it fixed for launch.

tldr: A crafted Cloak counts toward your limit of 3 Draenor-crafted items equipped. Chances are the Engi helm will as well.

Blizzard: Bosses now also have a chance to drop ponies! A pony makes your character better.
    Players: AAARGH ponies are RNG!
    Now it's even harder to be perfect. /unsub
    They should just make ponies baseline.
    LOL @ World of Ponycraft.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So not having to spend gold on leg enchants from Tailoring/LW is not worth getting? Blacksmithing/tailoring/LW isn't worth picking up so you can craft your own gear isn't worth it? Sorry but I won't be doing engineering on any other toon besides my shaman who I've considered dropping it on since profession perks were removed.
    There are no leg enchantes in WoD
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Don't forget repairs for your raid through jeeves.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I don't consider gold making or gold saving capabilities part of the equation for evaluating whether a profession is 'viable' or not, reason being, it's just gold, that is the least of my concerns. If you're rich, you can ignore that, so anything gold related isn't a true advantage in the same way something like a stat boost is, that you cannot get any other way.

I'm a mage, so the choice is easy, Engineering/Tailoring, no contest.