10+ Year Old Account

Opinions on this 27 inch Asus PG278Q monitor

Hey all. About to start a new build using a GTX 980 setup. This monitor has caught my eye especially due to a buy now pay over 12 months offer. I use the same shop to buy bits and bobs but wondered what you thought of the monitor specifically.

http://www.very.co.uk/asus-pg278q-ro...1458059573.prd

I'm thinking mainly for WoD, Battlefield 4 and Hardline and upcoming PC games I may fancy.
    144mhz screen with little input lag... but is the price way over the top?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Deleted
    Misread your sentence -.-

No, I think that is the going price for that monitor. G-synch is expensive....

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You forget the part where it's got G-Sync and 1440p...

Personally? I think it's worth it. It's cool as shit and new technology.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    It is worth it - although, your other monitors will seem like crap after buying the rog swift :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chooah View Post
    It is worth it - although, your other monitors will seem like crap after buying the rog swift :/
    No, that would depend on preference and what you like out of a panel.

That said, the PG278Q is probably the only Asus monitor from Asus if you're going for that. It does come with a gigantic price tag however.
    Every professional review I've seen (not shit ones like Linus and what not) are good.

Just got one yesterday, $999 here. I would argue it's worth it but i'm still a bit sore in the wallet. Going from an ips to a tn panel is the biggest issue I have atm, still haven't been able to get the colour quality to match my asus pb278q and prob never will. That being said, jeez does g-sync make a difference. Playing CoD:aw was a mess of screen tearing and sync issues. Those are fixed and seeing it at 120fps is amazing. Just wish they'd get sli working for cod. There are some issues, a lot of nvidias tech doesn't work with each other for ex. dsr doesn't seem to work with g-sync/sli but this is meant to be fixed in a future driver.

It's kind of hard to describe how much better things look on the swift. It's something you really need to sit down and experience to understand the improvements, partly because it isn't adding anything new but removing things we've grown use to. I would argue in the end with all the included tech (g-sync, 144hz, 1ms, 3d vision etc) it ends up being worth it while still being very expensive and I'll be having this argument soon once my partner works out just how much it was.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2014-11-12 at 09:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed you're running 2 x GTX 980s for it. Will I get away with just 1 GTX980? About to order parts to complete a build in the upgrade section of forum, and don't fancy spending all that money to realise it still isn't enough hehe.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

One is fine. CoD still has sli issues so i've been running with one card for the majority of my time gaming on the monitor. It still pulls 90-120fps by itself and one of the great things about g-sync is it creates a smooth looking image even without a stable fps. I think works all the way down to 40fps so even weaker graphic cards will still result in a smoother image.

10+ Year Old Account
    All G-sync does is change your monitor refresh rate. Do note it doesn't work in Windowed mode, so if you play a lot of games in windowed mode it would just not work.
    There is one problem which is if your FPS is very low, generally 30 or lower, you're going to have some very funny issues with G-sync. Not the good kind of funny.
    It wasn't really something to make it smoother, it was something to remove screen tearing. At too low of an FPS, G-sync becomes a detriment than a good thing.

Deleted
    I did not want to open another thread for the ASUS Swift, so after some days here is my advice:
    If you wanna jump from 1080p to 1440 p gaming and have the money, buy this. Now!
    Why?
    Well, G Sync on 2560*1400 resolution up to 144MHz/frames is just *amazing*. I tested so many games where I had slight tearing problems before like F1 2014, Fifa 15. The games work so smooth now, the animations are stunning....it is hard to describe, you have to watch it. It is just completely different experience.

What you should consider is buying fast GPUs. To fuel your Asus Swift, you might wanna use a 970 or 980 SLI system to push the games towards as much frames as possible because that is where G Sync shines.
    I played Max Payne 3 yesterday, again. This game (well *every* game after you switched form 60 Hz 24" 1080p TFT to the Swift) just feels and plays SO different, I love it.
    Of course 749 Euro/799$ are an insane amount of money "just" for a TFT. But dammit, after you played on a Swift, you are infected

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as RoG Swift is appealing, you need to know what you are buying. There is a number of factors that make this monitor unusable for many people (check out the RoG Swift official forums, you will get the idea). A quick rundown:

1. The biggest issue for many people is so called "pixel inversion". In practice, this results in vertical lines visible by naked eye in some specific scenarios. Personally, I don't find it too distracting, but for some people this is enough not to buy this monitor.
    2. TN matrix might feel a bit off after IPS, again, depending on how sensitive you are to color shift.
    3. Many people report technical issues - apparently this monitor is a bit low on build quality. You might need to replace a model once or twice, although in most cases, I believe, you won't need to do that.
    4. Like some people above said, after playing at 144Hz for a long time, you might have a hard time adapting to 60Hz if you wish to go for it later. Since the number of above 60Hz panels is quite scarce, you will be limited to a very few models you feel comfortable to game with. I know, I've used a 120Hz laptop display for 2 years, and when I switched to a large 60Hz panel, I had been having a headache for a few weeks, at least, and even now, almost a year since, I still strongly miss 120Hz.

Also, if image quality is more important for you than fluidity of motion, you might want to consider this Acer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfrQ6UAEmU
    The price is about the same, but it is 4K and also G-Sync, but 60Hz. A side benefit is that this particular model doesn't seem to have any quality issues, unlike the Swift.