Thread: New computer

New computer

Ok, so I'm going to be building a new computer here soon as my current laptop just isn't powerful enough to handle much right now, and I have no idea where to start. Budget is ~650 USD. Game settings wise, I'd like to get at least 30 fps on med-high settings during a raid setting in WoW or something similar. I might be doing 3D modeling in the coming years, so I'd like to be able to with this computer if I need to. I will need an OS, keyboard, and a monitor (~21 in should be good) as well. And I have 0 interest in overclocking for now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gonna be honest with you, that budget is not enough to include a monitor and operating system. Only way you could maybe do it is if you live near a microcenter, they are only in a few select states.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Gonna be honest with you, that budget is not enough to include a monitor and operating system. Only way you could maybe do it is if you live near a microcenter, they are only in a few select states.
    That's fine, if it's necessary to go over for an OS and decent monitor, then go ahead, just try not to go too much over. College budgets are fairly tight :P Would there be any way to get an OS at a discounted rate (or even better, free) with a a student status? If so, that would be great.

Depending on your major you can get a free OS through the Microsoft Dreamspark program, but you have to be an IT major. Also Im sure you can find some good deals online for an OS.
    *broken sig link*

Ya go to help desk or whatever of human services and ask, once you find you can get a copy post back here we would be happy to make a build. I take it you dont live near a microcenter then? Here is the website use drop down to see what states they are in:

http://www.microcenter.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post
    Depending on your major you can get a free OS through the Microsoft Dreamspark program, but you have to be an IT major. Also Im sure you can find some good deals online for an OS.
    Major is computer engineering. And it does look like I can get Windows 8.1 for free, if I'm not mistaking anything.

Ya go to help desk or whatever of human services and ask, once you find you can get a copy post back here we would be happy to make a build. I take it you dont live near a microcenter then? Here is the website use drop down to see what states they are in:

http://www.microcenter.com/
    There's one in St. Louis, which is kinda close by (just less than 2 hrs).

Hmm not sure it would be worth the money in gas, probably not. If you can get windows for free it MIGHT be possible to do 700-ish bucks, let me put together a build.

Here ya go, will play WoW marvelously included keyboard and monitor:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($70.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($8.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $637.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-11 20:58 EST-0500

- - - Updated - - -

The monitor and video card are especially good deals, if you are waiting to build this i would order those now if you have the money before they go off sale.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2014-11-12 at 01:57 AM.

Deleted
    Here's what i would suggest, the cpu cooler is optional you can buy one if you wish later on. Its not needed as a part since the cpu comes with a cooler, but stock ones are loud and after a few years they go bad, thus i always pref an aftermarket one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Rosewill 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $773.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 02:26 EST-0500

Kosta the OP is clearly on a strict budget, posting a build nearly 200 dollars above his budget before rebates probably isnt the best idea. I suggest you revise the build to be more budget friendly. You can start with the 660 i linked, its a far better value at 135.00 than a gtx 760 for 199.00. OP also stated he is cool with a 21.5" monitor, you can use the one i found as well which saves another 20 bucks.

Deleted
    Sorry i still stand behind my proposition, which is indeed a little under 100bucks more but includes parts i think are good enough. You are entitled to your opinion so stop doing what you do on every thread, i dont care what you think anymore, youre are just waisting my time. OP can decide for himself/herself.

Well, I've already ordered the monitor and video card that Fascinate listed in his build, and I will likely use his/hers unless there's something that is just absolutely better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthios View Post
    Well, I've already ordered the monitor and video card that Fascinate listed in his build, and I will likely use his/hers unless there's something that is just absolutely better than this.
    Sweet, just make sure you post here again before you order the rest of the stuff as that list could change, parts go on/off sale all the time in the PC industry You snagged great deals on that video card and monitor tho, my cousin owns that exact monitor and paid 129.99 for it not too long ago.

Fascinate's build is pretty good. Nice job. I don't know about the i3, but when you got a budget you got a budget...

Sweet, just make sure you post here again before you order the rest of the stuff as that list could change, parts go on/off sale all the time in the PC industry You snagged great deals on that video card and monitor tho, my cousin owns that exact monitor and paid 129.99 for it not too long ago.
    I'll likely buy some of the cheaper items (sub $50) tonight, as I want to get it built pretty soon, my current laptop is starting to frustrate me.

Awesome, if you go to order and the prices are higher (they seem to change daily) post here and we can find you new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    Fascinate's build is pretty good. Nice job. I don't know about the i3, but when you got a budget you got a budget...
    I run wow on an i3 and I can tell you that's it's perfectly acceptable. My video card is actually worse than the one that Fascinate listed so I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get performance that is good.