View Poll Results: Do you think your job will be automated 20 years from now?

Voters
44. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I will be replaced

6 13.64%
  • Probably so.

4 9.09%
  • Probably not

15 34.09%
  • No, my position will never be automated

19 43.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sooner or later people will realize unemployment is a normal tendency in a technological world... but apparently not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you see it coming you know it's time to invest in yourself again and swap, we don't have the luxury of older generations anymore to be stuck doing the same job for majority of the time.

I started out as an Electrician build up funds and am now going for an IT degree. What people don't realize is that big companies already slowed down the automization process to save jobs this won't last forever.

Deleted
    I could see it backfire real bad one day.
    invest into automation so that machines do the same work more effectively while not requiring as big of an investment as your typical manual labor worker.
    End up with more products that dont sell because people who would've bought them previously have no money because they lost their jobs to machines.
    All this excess production now costs more because of recycle/disposal of spoiled food.

At the end of the day someone has to give work to masses unless you want homeless zombie apocalypse.

One of my two jobs (cashier at a retail store) will almost certainly be replaced. Good thing I don't plan on working as a cashier my whole life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering every time I speak to a machine on the phone I repeatedly say... representative... respresentative to talk to a real person, I don't think I would really like it.

I find automation to be much of the time a waste of time for the consumer and less of a good service.

10+ Year Old Account
    feels good to be a lawyer. gonna take a bit longer, to replace us muwhaha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I could see it backfire real bad one day.
    invest into automation so that machines do the same work more effectively while not requiring as big of an investment as your typical manual labor worker.
    End up with more products that dont sell because people who would've bought them previously have no money because they lost their jobs to machines.
    All this excess production now costs more because of recycle/disposal of spoiled food.

At the end of the day someone has to give work to masses unless you want homeless zombie apocalypse.
    I have to agree. There is a point where automation. causing losses in available job posts, would kill the purchasing power. Less purchasing power = less money spent = less the companies that aumated things earn. All in moderation

Deleted
    Just realized something.
    What is easier to replace?

A faulty human worker?
    OR
    A faulty 1 ton of complex machinery?

10+ Year Old Account
    Automation is almost always for the better. Lost jobs end up being created elsewhere, in other industries. We've been stepping up automation for literally centuries, and yet unemployment hasn't been steadily rising, precisely because the labor market adapts.

The jobs being replaced are just becoming as archaic as, say, blacksmithing, or saddlemaking. You might find employ in niche cottage industries, but you're no longer a central industry society revolves around.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I'd rather order from a computer at fast-food places. At least when my order gets fucked up, I know it was my own fault.
    I ate at a chilis the other day and they had these little screens at each table you could order food and drinks from and play some games on.
    Also you could pay your check from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My job (Elec. Engineer) is safe for the immediate future and probably through my career, but someday sure, I mean I don't see why not.

I think by 2050 or there about most governments will need some form of guaranteed basic minimum income due to this. Hopefully at that point we're also making inroads into creating something starting to resemble a post scarcity world.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    In London this figure rises to 51 per cent of jobs.

While jobs identified as low or no risk jobs include skilled management; financial services...legal services...the arts and media...
    Virtually everyone I know in London fits into one of those categories, so at least me and mine will be fine. Hey ho, times change.

10+ Year Old Account
    A robot capable of loading luggage onto an airplane? Marshalling? Applying ground power, air starts and air conditioning carts? Dumping lavs?

It's not too inconceivable, my job could potentially be replaced in 20-30 years.
    Putin khuliyo

Funny that the Arts are safe, I guess that's one thing that can't really be automated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Arts and Music require emotion... robots might be able to approximate good art or music, but it would not be original in the real sense of the word. It would all be derivative... though you could argue a lot of art and music is derivative now.
    I agree that there is very little in this day and age which is 100% original. That is how humans work though. We take our memories and experience and mold into something of our own.

That said, I could see a robot doing the same. Taking information from a database of art, and allowing it to randomly decide which portions of that data which it will work with to create something on it's own. Not too much different from how we currently work.

I'm sure it is not as easy as it sounds though.

- - - Updated - - -
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Just realized something.
    What is easier to replace?

A faulty human worker?
    OR
    A faulty 1 ton of complex machinery?
    I'm guessing a faulty human worker. With a 1 ton complex machine there is probably little total replacement involved. It would be more along the lines of replacement of faulty boards/modules in order to fix said machine.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Whenever it happens I hope that we've gotten over this "Everyone must work!" collective mentality
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    If my job becomes automated the human race is probably going to get enslaved by the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    If my job becomes automated the human race is probably going to get enslaved by the machines.
    You know anytime a topic comes up about either robots or AI there are always the people who come out with the skynet/machine overlord crap and it's really defeatist, trite, and really based in fantasy. It makes me roll my eyes.

With that said, Rich, if your job becomes automated then the humans race IS probably going to get enslaved by the machines.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

I am at the higher levels of of job pyramid. We have a long time before we produce programming machines .