Could use another pair of eyes on my ~$900 gaming build

I haven't built a PC in around 7 years, recently got back into PC gaming (WoW, Skyrim, Diablo, etc) and could use some help with my build. I do not plan on overclocking, and am looking to keep it around $900 (OS included). I would like to be able to run games on pretty high graphics settings, doesn't have to be like super ultra but still pretty good quality. I have monitors, mouse, and keyboard already. A couple questions: Do I need a 3rd party heatsink/cpu if I am not overclocking? Is Windows 7 the way to go for gaming or is 8.1 a viable choice? And finally, below is the build I currently have. Any help on places to upgrade or get better bang for my buck would be greatly appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/p/h9hBxr

Thanks!

Hey, no you dont need an aftermarket heatsink if you dont plan on overclocking but its actually a decent idea for longevity of parts (cooler parts last longer) and lower operation noise (stock coolers can get loud or just annoying when CPU is under a high load). The most popular cheap heatsink is a cooler master hyper 212+/Evo, evo being the slightly upgraded model. You can remove that thermal paste even if you decide on an aftermarket heatsink, they come with it either pre applied or decent quality paste in the box.

This is the build i came up with:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.96 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Corsair Force LX Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.68 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $925.55
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 20:26 EST-0500

By selecting a few cheaper parts (still good quality parts) I fit a gtx 970 into your build. I would still roll with windows 7, will be supported for many many years still, and i got it into the build also.

I'm a cyclope, can I give you my opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

I would still roll with windows 7, will be supported for many many years still, and i got it into the build also.
    The only reason to use 7 over 8 is you have a 7 and you dont feel like spending cash to upgrade for the lulz.

If you need to buy a windows key get 8(.1)
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Requires jumping through hoops, but TigerDirect has the i5-4690K (unlocked) CPU for $195: http://slickdeals.net/f/7354012-inte...ng-tigerdirect

Well worth the $10 extra in my opinion, even if you have no plans to overclock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thehulk View Post
    Do I need a 3rd party heatsink/cpu if I am not overclocking?
    No. At least not usually. But the bundled coolers are frequently poor quality and may die early (the last one I used broke when I shipped the PC to it's new owner).

Quote Originally Posted by thehulk View Post
    Is Windows 7 the way to go for gaming or is 8.1 a viable choice?
    Personal preference. Either is fine. Windows 8 uses a new UI and while 8.1 made it a little more familiar to users of older Windows OSes, some still don't like it.